[Review][Rexpeed Polarized Mirrors w/ Blind Spot Monitoring]

Driver181920

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hopefully a Supra
Just purchased and had the Rexpeed Polarized Mirrors w/ Blind Spot Monitoring and wanted to give a brief review of my experience so far.

Backgound: Previous car, FRS. Bad blindspot. Purchased Rexpeed polarized convex mirrors for $70. Installed. WONDERFUL. Got rid of all blindspot. Could change lanes just by looking at side mirrors, no need to turn body.

Currently: Supra. Horrible blindsport (yes, mirrors adjusted to see blind spots, not my own car). BSI didn't seem consistent. Wasn't comfortable driving Supra as I did with FRS due to lack of situational awareness of surrounding cars. Purchased Rexpeed convex for $170.

Thoughts: The Rexpeed are not 1:1 oem replacements. The connector are a bit diffenent. Backplate doesn't have cable management standoffs. The front orange triangle BSI is not masked off like OEM (which creates another issue, explain later on)
b20210415_122611.jpg
b20210415_122627.jpg
'

Installation: I would suggest electrical tape all areas in which you don't want water to get into, especially the heatshrinked circuit and the connectors. Will also need to secure the cable/connects so they don't flop behind the mirror. I used duct tape (for now, until I can find a better solution)

b20210415_124731.jpg

The mirrors are convexed, there is more FOV without too much distortion.
[NO BSI visible]
b20210415_123650.jpg

[BSI if OFF]
b20210415_125002.jpg

Compared to the FRS housing, the mirrors could be adjusted to a wider range of motion. For the driver side, the FRS could adjust further left and further down. On the Supra, the mirror housing is smaller...limiting how far left it can be adjusted. This is not a big deal if you have nothing to compare it to.

MAIN ISSUE- That I have is the UNMASKED orange triangle BSI. When driving with the sun behind you. IT IS VERY DIFFICUT to be sure if the BSI is actually ON, or if the ambient light is shining on it , making it appear ON even when it is NOT.

[This is OFF] - (on OEM, this would be ON)
b20210416_142654.jpg

[This is ON]
b20210416_142648.jpg

[This is ON]
20210417_141526.jpg

[This if OFF]
20210417_142357.jpg

Suggestion - Mask off the triangle like OEM does. Or have white/clear triangle material that will glow Orange when activated.

b20210415_124731.jpg

20210417_142357.jpg
Sponsored

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
Great review - thanks.
Just some suggestions, on places that get wet where tape will eventually fail I have had good luck with either hot glue or the stuff they use for windshield gaskets (butyl rubber?).

I have a roll of the latter for over 30 years and I use it to this day. It is some of the stickiest stuff Iā€™ve come across and lasts forever.

Iā€™ll post a pic link later. It is great for plugging holes or making irregular items stick together or to something else.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
@Driver181920 , great review! Thanks!

I have the same set which I have installed last week. I love them so far. They do as advertised and improve visibility.

I had them on my previous BRZ as well. I'm actually surprised the BSI works at all! Lol. For a $150 aftermarket part, I didn't have much faith in it. Plus, the convex shape pretty much solves the issue of having BSI to begin with, so it's almost a complimentary feature.

The install was a bit tricky since the back is way simpler than the OEM mirrors. I used electrical tape for the BSI connectors and just taped off that dimming plug which is no longer used and tucked it away. :dunno:

I think it's a nice improvement. I've got both mirrors set max outward angles and I can still see those J-Lo hips. Lol.

@spta97 , please let us know or link us on that product! I think I may replace my tape with that. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge

brentyloke

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
thanks for the review, definitely helps with decision making.

the potential false-read on blind spots is making me second guess getting a pair.

do you think there is room on the back plate to stick on some small cable clips, or if they would even help?

2021-04-22_09-18-42.png

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
@Munkeeboi , thanks! I'll try that. If it doesn't work, I'm sure I can still use it around the house for something else. Lol.

@brentyloke, that may work. I have some of these from my dashcam kit. The back of the Rexpeeds are pretty flat and smooth. I was able to tuck away the wiring pretty well though - nothing stuck, bunched up or visible around the mirror edges.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@Driver181920 , great review! Thanks!

I have the same set which I have installed last week. I love them so far. They do as advertised and improve visibility.

I had them on my previous BRZ as well. I'm actually surprised the BSI works at all! Lol. For a $150 aftermarket part, I didn't have much faith in it. Plus, the convex shape pretty much solves the issue of having BSI to begin with, so it's almost a complimentary feature.

The install was a bit tricky since the back is way simpler than the OEM mirrors. I used electrical tape for the BSI connectors and just taped off that dimming plug which is no longer used and tucked it away. :dunno:

I think it's a nice improvement. I've got both mirrors set max outward angles and I can still see those J-Lo hips. Lol.

@spta97 , please let us know or link us on that product! I think I may replace my tape with that. Thanks! :thumbsup:
Here's the stuff I use - 3M Windo-Weld. Keep in mind it is literally 30 years old so not sure if the formula changed but it still works great. I use it to keep the emblems on my Nissan center caps which I swap from a chrome to silver cap to align with my wheel swaps.

I've used it for tons of other stuff and it keeps it stick throughout all the elements and water. Not the stuff you want to have to remove though!

Note, don't get any under your fingernails unless you are ok with it there for a week with scrubbing :)

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...PJVsxkPy2ArAEPYITV0aAg-TEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I have the BMW European convex mirrors. So, similar to these, but not blue. I LOVE THESE CONVEX MIRRORS. Much more confidence changing lanes. It really makes driving the Supra much easier (assuming you like to change lanes). Bought mine from a guy who works at a European crash test center. I assume he ā€œsalvagesā€ bits and ā€œreintroducesā€ them to the market.

I have an extra set WITHOUT the illuminated warning triangle if anyone is interested. I should probably post them.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have the BMW European convex mirrors. So, similar to these, but not blue. I LOVE THESE CONVEX MIRRORS. Much more confidence changing lanes. It really makes driving the Supra much easier (assuming you like to change lanes). Bought mine from a guy who works at a European crash test center. I assume he ā€œsalvagesā€ bits and ā€œreintroducesā€ them to the market.

I have an extra set WITHOUT the illuminated warning triangle if anyone is interested. I should probably post them.
Do you have a part number for the convex mirrors with the triangle?

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you have a part number for the convex mirrors with the triangle?
I bought the following:

48EB25EA-4FF9-45F3-B2FC-BB727F794501.jpeg

4B0E61F6-435F-4475-93A2-267478455A71.jpeg

One important note: the passenger side was a perfect fit, but in the drivers side, there was a wire whose connector required a little bit of trimming. It wasnā€™t the heater wires (I forget which exactly it was).

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I bought the following:

48EB25EA-4FF9-45F3-B2FC-BB727F794501.jpeg

4B0E61F6-435F-4475-93A2-267478455A71.jpeg

One important note: the passenger side was a perfect fit, but in the drivers side, there was a wire whose connector required a little bit of trimming. It wasnā€™t the heater wires (I forget which exactly it was).
Thanks for the info. I cannot see sh!t out of this car. Will have to see if the g/f agrees as it's hers.

Question: What are the dotted lines on the mirror?

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the info. I cannot see sh!t out of this car. Will have to see if the g/f agrees as it's hers.

Question: What are the dotted lines on the mirror?
I think they just mark where the transition is to the most convex portion of the mirror is.