Reviews are in for 2020 Supra MKV preproduction car

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Toyota's clearly launched a major social media campaign for the car - can't help but wonder if they are a little worried about the response it might get based on reactions here and elsewhere and are moving to "influence" the market pre-emptively.
Sponsored

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
Toyota's clearly launched a major social media campaign for the car - can't help but wonder if they are a little worried about the response it might get based on reactions here and elsewhere and are moving to "influence" the market pre-emptively.
In my case, I was initially excited. Once the leak came out that the engine might be a regular B58 I was a bit let down. But if Toyota came out at launch and said that it was somewhat modified by them internally (head or block) I would be all over it again. Honestly all they need is to sprinkle some good old Toyota JDM in this thing and everyone will be happy (except BMW haters and MKIV/JZ enthusiasts). No need for all this false hype using sponsored Toyota personnel for scripted videos.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
I've had it on good authority that components within the head and block are bespoke to A90, as well as the turbocharger.
Looking forward to see actual specs of those compared to the Z4. I would assume they would be better or more efficient. If that's the case the MKV should output more than the 382hp the Z4 (us spec) is gonna come with otherwise what's the point?

sedanlova

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk4 twins
If that's the case the MKV should output more than the 382hp the Z4 (us spec) is gonna come with otherwise what's the point?
The point would be that you could tune it yourself and get the HP unlock...it will be nice if everything in the car was engineered to handle 700WHP but sold at $50k with 350HP. If this is Toyota plan, I'm in.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Looking forward to see actual specs of those compared to the Z4. I would assume they would be better or more efficient. If that's the case the MKV should output more than the 382hp the Z4 (us spec) is gonna come with otherwise what's the point?
Lets hope Toyota is using BMW's ideology of shooting low when rating HP. A 322hp B58 dynos at 320-330 to the wheels! With that being said, could the 382hp B58 dyno around 370-380rwhp? This is while the 467hp RC-F dynos at 390-410hp with less area under the curve.

If the car has more than 382hp on paper, it's going to be a great car IMO

TLDR: BMW 382hp = approximately Toyota 440hp

Last edited:

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The point would be that you could tune it yourself and get the HP unlock...it will be nice if everything in the car was engineered to handle 700WHP but sold at $50k with 350HP. If this is Toyota plan, I'm in.
If that is the case I say they bump up the power to go over 400HP even if its 405-415 stock. One of the biggest knocks on the 86 is that it is underpowered from the factory. If they want to sell it for double the price of the 86, why not offer double the power? (here in the US at least) especially if it can handle tons of power reliably with the stock internals.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Is it? I'm waiting on a70 or others to likr this..
It's what I've been told as well, but we saw how the iron block thing turned out and that was directly from one of Tada's close friends. Granted in that case it was just old information apparently.

Curious to see how much of it is true at this point; I hope it isn't just semantics.

Last edited:

ClassicEnd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS1
This is what I'm hoping for too.. handle 700 and even sold all the way to 65k I'd jump 0 hesitation. But idk we will see upon release. I do recall reading 1 time something about the stock internals?I being tested and able to take somewhere around 700hp reliably but it was awhile back.

Status
Not open for further replies.