Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I don't doubt there will be a new 86 or at least a face-lift with a few more hp, but new chassis development isn't even a thing right now and there are no current plans for such according to Tada.

This question was actually answered directly by him vs another engineer.

However, GR is still developing special editions of the ZN6 and who knows maybe that could turn into something. Though I hope that something isn't that abomination we saw in Tokyo lol.
Sponsored

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
They have one one of the best chassis under 60k for the 86 , it would not be a smart move to just abandon it , i always thought the tests were done on this platform anyway . It would be shocking and sad for me if toyota just abandons this project , that has so much potential . The problem with the car is its low torque/power for this fantastic chassis , that is the reason why i sold it in less than 5 months of owning it , and having driven the old impreza sti which was a beast i felt a bit undewhelmed by this offering . It is still bugging me why a forced induction was not used on this car , i believe every modern sports car without a v8 or higher should come with forced induction at least as an option. Also yeah the hybrid 86 concept was preeetty ugly

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
more marketing BS with little substance... shocking I say.

though you gotta do something to boost sales/prices I suppose.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
Yeah this car unfortunately has its flaws and the most serious is its engine. Unacceptable for a sports car n my opinion , it really dissapointed me , although it is quite reliable if you exclude some weird engine noises mine made rarely . Also i get you for the turbo , but i suggest all the time against it , at least until the warranty expires.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
Maybe some quality issues were resolved in the facelifted model , the facelift was more about body rigidity and some quality of life changes i think , but i haven't driven the '17 model so not sure for these claims.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As an 86 owner, always feel like I am getting kicked repeatedly in the nuts for liking a car with its current performance.

And doubly so if Toyota is going to release a more powerful version soon

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
honestly, there is a large part of me that want them to drop Subaru, and get with Mazda, make a chassis that is light using Mazda tech, and put a goddam Toyota engine that is rev happy into it. As long as it's light and handles well with decent HP it will sell.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
honestly, there is a large part of me that want them to drop Subaru, and get with Mazda, make a chassis that is light using Mazda tech, and put a goddam Toyota engine that is rev happy into it. As long as it's light and handles well with decent HP it will sell.

I want them to drop it because if the news about Subaru fearing people favoring the 86 over the wrx with similar power, close that shit.

Now with all the knowledge, keep the chassis, make a new engine that can rev to 7k and boost it to at least 220 with no torque dip.

Price at 30k flat, still affordable new and gives a bang for buck value

kmbkk

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 FRS
I've had my 86 from day 1 and have been very happy with it. Granted I turboed it within months of owning it, so obviously I agree it needed more hp from the factory. I get what they were trying to accomplish with it but they should've upped the power with the refresh. Oh well, I'll just keep it and wait for the new Supra.

supra85

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GT86 with Volk 37 SL wheels
Coming from a first gen 86 owner from 2017, I'm feeling pretty salty right now
Please do not get me wrong. I love my GT86 and like driving it, but the broad masses expect a more powerful car and Toyota is trying to make it happen. There you can see how important Toyota is to take customer wishes seriously. In addition, Toyota pursues its own ideology and will not design the future vehicles only by the wishes of customers.