Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
that troubled me also , but i believe the next 86 will be quite different than the car today. It will be electrified in some way (my guess mild) and maybe the engine will be actually smaller and not larger. For quite some time it is rumooured that subaru will downsize the 2 liter to 1.8 liters , so maybe that engine with a turbo and some mild hybrid. Though that will put it to around 270 hp so it will be faster than a 2 liter supra and samey price.

But toyota in the 90s sold the lower trim 220hp NA supra and the 255hp awd celica turbo so the same thing could happen in 2022. The supra will be lighter because 2 seats and more luxury vs the more raw and powerful 86.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios

Just like this guy said, the 86 feels cheap in a lot of aspects, especially when you compare it to the ND MX-5 Miata. Not to mention the ND just got an engine upgrade.

I wanted to love the 86 but thanks to its certain shortcomings I only like it.

My ideal affordable lightweight sports car is an ND MX-5 but as a fixed roof coupe. So basically the affordable lightweight sports car that I want doesn't exist, for now at least.

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
My ideal affordable lightweight sports car is an ND MX-5 but as a fixed roof coupe. So basically the affordable lightweight sports car that I want doesn't exist, for now at least.
What about the MX-5 RF? If you leave the retractable roof up, you essentially have a coupe. Not quite as good as a fixed roof, it wonā€™t ever be as stiff, light, or refined, but it is as close as we are likely to get to an MX-5 coupe.

TBH, if I didnā€™t need the extra cargo space with the rear seats folded down in my 86, which I do, I could happily daily the RF with the just uprated 2.0 engine. With the extra power, the MX-5 is decently quicker than the 86, which is a sad state of affairs, as it is clear Toyobaru are not adding any more power to this gen of the twins, which means they will just keep falling further behind their main competiion, the MX-5.

Rotaryrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda RX 8
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to have a coupe from Mazda that is a little bigger than the mx5 either with a 350- 400hp rotary engine or a 380- 450hp piston engine at 1300-1450kg.

Mazdas design is far ahead of any other car manufacturer at the moment imo.

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
I'd like to have a coupe from Mazda that is a little bigger than the mx5 either with a 350- 400hp rotary engine or a 380- 450hp piston engine at 1300-1450kg.
With 400-450 HP, at that weight, it would be really expensive, probably more expensive than thisnew Supra which looks like being USD60k. Not bad, just expensive. I donā€™t think the rotary engine has a serious future, at least, not as a conventional powertrain. I heard rumours Mazda might be trying to make a hybrid that uses a rotary to augment an electric engine. If so,that sounds interesting, if needlessly complex.

Mazdas design is far ahead of any other car manufacturer at the moment imo.
Styling wise, I agree. Sadly, I think they are satisfied with the MX-5 as their sole sports car. I doubt they will make a more powerful coupe, despite the beautiful RX Vision concept car. Hope Iā€™m wrong.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
the rotary will indeed be used as a range extender for batteries , it is official i think , let's hope mazda uses it for a sports car like the rx 7 was. For me though if a car like this comes it should not be like the last rx was , it was oil thirsty the damn thing, so if the engine is reliable in every way without sooo much maintenance i will be seriously tempted.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Would a magenta coloured 86 call too much attention?

smokie

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
05 Evo RS
I'm getting impatient should I buy a BRZ/86? I most likely wont be getting an A90 if its an auto, not to mention it cost twice as much as a brz/86, and if there isn't any updates anytime soon for the brz/86 is now a good time to buy?

Still feel like the brz/86 is overpriced for what your getting or maybe I'm just el cheapo

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm getting impatient should I buy a BRZ/86? I most likely wont be getting an A90 if its an auto, not to mention it cost twice as much as a brz/86, and if there isn't any updates anytime soon for the brz/86 is now a good time to buy?

Still feel like the brz/86 is overpriced for what your getting or maybe I'm just el cheapo
86/BRZ has a great chassis response that can only be rivaled by the Miata and more surprisingly, the Cayman.

I say just find a used model that hasn't been driven ridiculously hard, miles are reasonable and now you have a car that's roughly 10-20k USD used with a huge aftermarket platform for tuning and mods and boom, have a great project on your hands. By the amount you would have paid for a new car, you have a personal vehicle that outperforms it.

Also, since it seems it's going to be cancelled at some point, if you are a strong believer of cars appreciating, get one now.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

You should get a M240i if youre wanting something closer to the supra and with a manual

smokie

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
05 Evo RS
86/BRZ has a great chassis response that can only be rivaled by the Miata and more surprisingly, the Cayman. I say just find a used model that hasn't been driven ridiculously hard, miles are reasonable and now you have a car that's roughly 10-20k USD used with a huge aftermarket platform for tuning and mods and boom, have a great project on your hands. By the amount you would have paid for a new car, you have a personal vehicle that outperforms it. Also, since it seems it's going to be cancelled at some point, if you are a strong believer of cars appreciating, get one now.
Ideally I like the 17+ update, but a lot of those used ones are priced pretty high that it makes sense to just buy new.
I don't think the 86/brz will appreciate if it gets canceled, but who knows.

I'm just not sure if I'd get bored of the car since it has no power.

You should get a M240i if youre wanting something closer to the supra and with a manual
Yea but then its not a supra? Not a big fan of BMWs, even though the a90 is going to be powered by BMW.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Yea but then its not a supra? Not a big fan of BMWs, even though the a90 is going to be powered by BMW.
So you want a GT86 instead? The GT86 isnt a Supra either. Just giving a suggestion that the M240i would more closely resemble the Supra. It seems like you don't know what you want

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
How much would this setup cost?{Custom paint job+18" wheelss+Spoiler+fogged taillights}
download (2).png
Sponsored