Seeking more info on JB4 Map 6 tuning

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
I've seen repeatedly on these forums that everyone has their Map 6 settings dialed in by Jesse for ~$500 or so. I found this rather unusual just coming from a MK7 GTI that I've been running Map 6 for 7+ years (never had an issue, even at 26+ psi stock turbo e30). I was able to dial it in myself after doing my research on the forums, and I can't really see the reason why the Supra would be any different. (educate me if it is) I guess GTI forum users are more willing to share their Map 6 settings/supporting mods. (No, its not tune-theft. The JB4 was designed to be user-tuned, I think it's wild that we try to gatekeep the performance of fellow enthusiasts)

Setting up Map 6 isn't rocket science, and it's no doubt a cake-walk compared to proper tuning.

My method on the GTI was:
  1. Determine the boost curve from a base map (ie. Map 1 or Map 2). Usually 4-5psi across the board with some tapering on both ends. This can be done by datalogging on those maps and looking at "boost target"
  2. Bump up from the whole Map1/2 curve in small increments (ie. 0.5 psi or so) at a time
  3. Data log a 3rd/4th gear pull after every change (~2.5k rpm to redline). Watch for timing corrections in any of the cylinders. If any corrections observed, dial back down the boost around that RPM and log again. Do this in hot weather if possible to create a worst case scenario for IATs. If its winter, start data-logging again as weather starts to warm up and observe for IATs and timing corrections. Data-logging every season is ideal.
  4. If you don't really care about a linear power band, you can usually bump up the boost more in the RPM ranges where the turbo is in peak efficiency (GTI was 3-5k rpm)
  5. Watch fueling trims when bumping up the boost in higher RPMs (5k+) and go easier on the boost. On GTI, fuel trims need to remain under ~40. Not sure on Supra.
  6. Boost curve below turbo efficiency range (<2.5k rpm) shouldn't be raised much at all over Map 1/2. You shouldn't be going WOT under 2.5k anyway. Lugging is bad for timing corrections and your clutch.
  7. Adding ethanol required FOL adjustments but not sure how that works on Supra.
  8. Re-evaluate your settings with the addition of any supporting mod.
Someone please direct me to a more applicable forum if there is one. I don't claim to be some tuning genius, but I feel that I understand the JB4 platform well enough to give some advice. By the way, when I get mine dialed in, those settings are getting shared publicly at $0.

FYI: forum users trying to scare others from doing their own map 6 are just trying to make money off you. Educate yourself on how the system works and make changes incrementally!!! Your engine or turbo will not blow immediately when you raise boost by 0.5 psi. DME failsafes are in place. Your car will go into limp mode if anything exceeds safety limits (AFR, timing pull, overboost, etc).

I encourage anyone who has a JB4 to reply with your datalogs (+map settings, supporting mods). Datazap is typically used in the GTI forums and works well for sharing.
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
No one is trying to hide their map 6 settings. I will share mine with you if you would like. Its more of the fact that if you run my setting on your car, it wont be right so whats the point? Every single car will need different settings. This is exactly why people complain about map 1 and 2. For 90% of people, they just dont work right. I am sure they worked perfect on the car they based those tunes off though.

I think a better idea for people is to learn and understand what all the tables do. Its much more than just how much boost do you want to add. Anyone can plug in numbers to make more boost. What @Jesse DaBears does is make it run smooth which are all the other tables no one talks about.

This is also the same reason why people dont share their actual ECU tunes and why most OTS tunes really just dont work right.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
@Jesse DaBears does good work and many of us including myself are happy to pay him for it. If you think you can tune it yourself go ahead, you can always have him fix your fucked up tune, LOL!

SupraTR

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 Premium; Mazda CX-5
My opinion is if you purchased a custom tune you shouldn't share that (despite the fact that tune is not dialed in for others), but if you're self tuning the more people that knowledge share the more successful they will be and the more will jump on board and try themselves.

I suspect the difference between GTI vs Supra crowd and participation in self-tuning is in part be the price point. I self-tuned my 300zx TT which was my last project car with a much lower $ entry point and it was definitely fun learning. However I don't have that time nowadays and a pro still would have produced a better tune on that car. So now that I have far more disposable income....I'll be paying for a tune when my car actually shows up. Still would like to see self-tuning take off a bit, I enjoy reading about the process and people's successes (and failures..).

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@Jesse DaBears does good work and many of us including myself are happy to pay him for it. If you think you can tune it yourself go ahead, you can always have him fix your fucked up tune, LOL!
I am not doubting Jesse's ability to create a great tune at all. I'm just trying to show you that it's not particularly difficult to learn how to do it yourself, and working on tunes as a community actually helps us all. And as I said, 70k+ miles on my own aggressive Map 6 on the GTI with no timing correction and no limp mode ever. I'm sure I can handle it on my own. I get it, things you don't understand can be scary. 😉

If you want to pay for your own tune, more power to you. But I am going to push for those resources to be public on this forum.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
@ColonelAdama I learned a long time ago that my time is worth more than money. I rarely work on my own stuff anymore and when it comes to tuning, well let’s just say I have years of tuning on carburetors and that pretty much cured me of tuning, lol…

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
I've seen repeatedly on these forums that everyone has their Map 6 settings dialed in by Jesse for ~$500 or so. I found this rather unusual just coming from a MK7 GTI that I've been running Map 6 for 7+ years (never had an issue, even at 26+ psi stock turbo e30). I was able to dial it in myself after doing my research on the forums, and I can't really see the reason why the Supra would be any different. (educate me if it is) I guess GTI forum users are more willing to share their Map 6 settings/supporting mods. (No, its not tune-theft. The JB4 was designed to be user-tuned, I think it's wild that we try to gatekeep the performance of fellow enthusiasts)

Setting up Map 6 isn't rocket science, and it's no doubt a cake-walk compared to proper tuning.

My method on the GTI was:
  1. Determine the boost curve from a base map (ie. Map 1 or Map 2). Usually 4-5psi across the board with some tapering on both ends. This can be done by datalogging on those maps and looking at "boost target"
  2. Bump up from the whole Map1/2 curve in small increments (ie. 0.5 psi or so) at a time
  3. Data log a 3rd/4th gear pull after every change (~2.5k rpm to redline). Watch for timing corrections in any of the cylinders. If any corrections observed, dial back down the boost around that RPM and log again. Do this in hot weather if possible to create a worst case scenario for IATs. If its winter, start data-logging again as weather starts to warm up and observe for IATs and timing corrections. Data-logging every season is ideal.
  4. If you don't really care about a linear power band, you can usually bump up the boost more in the RPM ranges where the turbo is in peak efficiency (GTI was 3-5k rpm)
  5. Watch fueling trims when bumping up the boost in higher RPMs (5k+) and go easier on the boost. On GTI, fuel trims need to remain under ~40. Not sure on Supra.
  6. Boost curve below turbo efficiency range (<2.5k rpm) shouldn't be raised much at all over Map 1/2. You shouldn't be going WOT under 2.5k anyway. Lugging is bad for timing corrections and your clutch.
  7. Adding ethanol required FOL adjustments but not sure how that works on Supra.
  8. Re-evaluate your settings with the addition of any supporting mod.
Someone please direct me to a more applicable forum if there is one. I don't claim to be some tuning genius, but I feel that I understand the JB4 platform well enough to give some advice. By the way, when I get mine dialed in, those settings are getting shared publicly at $0.

FYI: forum users trying to scare others from doing their own map 6 are just trying to make money off you. Educate yourself on how the system works and make changes incrementally!!! Your engine or turbo will not blow immediately when you raise boost by 0.5 psi. DME failsafes are in place. Your car will go into limp mode if anything exceeds safety limits (AFR, timing pull, overboost, etc).

I encourage anyone who has a JB4 to reply with your datalogs (+map settings, supporting mods). Datazap is typically used in the GTI forums and works well for sharing.

You are taking the right approach to learning it for yourself. Just don't expect to be able to come up with a new custom map that will work on everyone's car. If that were the case the ots maps would be flawless for everyone. Every car is slightly different due to mods, fuel, elevation, environment, temps etc.

Best of luck! My recommendation would be lower your boost safety incase you mess with the wrong setting and wgdc goes through the roof.

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You are taking the right approach to learning it for yourself. Just don't expect to be able to come up with a new custom map that will work on everyone's car. If that were the case the ots maps would be flawless for everyone. Every car is slightly different due to mods, fuel, elevation, environment, temps etc.

Best of luck! My recommendation would be lower your boost safety incase you mess with the wrong setting and wgdc goes through the roof.
Thanks Jesse. Good point on the boost safety, forgot to mention. Usually my boost safety is set at +2 over my peak target boost. Seem OK in this application?
WGDC is something I've never had to consider on GTI, definitely need to learn more.

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think a better idea for people is to learn and understand what all the tables do. Its much more than just how much boost do you want to add. Anyone can plug in numbers to make more boost. What @Jesse DaBears does is make it run smooth which are all the other tables no one talks about.
Great! We're on the same page then! I'm here to learn too. Let's talk about those tables that help it run smoother.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
If someone is willing to let me practice on their car I'm all for it. Otherwise....I signed up for a Jesse tune yesterday.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Not to mention it depends on what you’re doing. I now have 3 friends that used Jesse, don’t track and all of them say the same thing. It’s like owning a whole new car! Huge difference from the base maps, every single one of them happy as a pig in shit!

As for tracking, others have used him with great success. To Jesse’s credit, I can add a heat exchanger and he can look at my new logs and get me on the right path for tracking down here in Florida. Huge benefit for me to be able to do this at my own pace with his extensive knowledge.

Sounds like it’ll be fun since you have the know how. Good luck dude! It’s such a fun car with a JB4 tune 😃