Slow Fuel Filling Problem

kermit

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
Hey there, came home from the dealership with my 2021 Supra last week. Been great so far! 2.0 is plenty fast for me and I appreciate the lighter weight and nimble handling.

However, went to do my first fuel fillup today and the pump kept shutting off at about 0.5 gallon intervals. I could hear a sound like the fuel pipe filling up and the pump would automatically shut off. Waiting about 30 seconds, it would take more fuel. Had to repeat this about 10 times to get it completely full. Is this an issue with the fuel system? Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Hey there, came home from the dealership with my 2021 Supra last week. Been great so far! 2.0 is plenty fast for me and I appreciate the lighter weight and nimble handling.

However, went to do my first fuel fillup today and the pump kept shutting off at about 0.5 gallon intervals. I could hear a sound like the fuel pipe filling up and the pump would automatically shut off. Waiting about 30 seconds, it would take more fuel. Had to repeat this about 10 times to get it completely full. Is this an issue with the fuel system? Anyone else experience this?
I am going to guess it’s the pump itself not your car... try a different pump and see.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
Nozzles have a mechanism for auto-shutoff (small pipe that uses Venturi effect to close a valve). A faulty diaphragm inside the nozzle can cause it to shut off prematurely.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
I've had this happen on some pumps with BMWs. It would work slow fine but as soon as you squeeze more it would shut off.

As recommended, I would try another pump.

OP
OP

kermit

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
Update, used a different pump and problem seems to have resolved. Heard a much more audible wooshing sound - have to guess it was an air venting issue.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
Update, used a different pump and problem seems to have resolved. Heard a much more audible wooshing sound - have to guess it was an air venting issue.
You'll never get that time back from the offending pump though ;)

I remember when it happened to me it felt like a half hour!

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I had a similar problem, it kept stopping and the fuel was not full (1 bar left on the gauge). My friend said to lift the car upward and it'll fill up. It sure did for me...added the final 1.6 gallons with no stopping.

OP
OP

kermit

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
You'll never get that time back from the offending pump though ;)

I remember when it happened to me it felt like a half hour!
The whooshing sound might have been coming from my wallet!!

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
I had a similar problem, it kept stopping and the fuel was not full (1 bar left on the gauge). My friend said to lift the car upward and it'll fill up. It sure did for me...added the final 1.6 gallons with no stopping.
What do you mean "lift the car upward"? I just filled up for the 2nd time where there was still 1 bar left.

icethug81

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I also experienced same issue as filling up for the first time. Could it be design of fillneck? I'm gonna try different gas station next time and see it happens again(also that upward method if it still stops).... Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored