Solved: Literal Bump Steer

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GR Premium 3.0
My 2020 had what you'd describe.. but I came back to a 2023 supra (has same newest suspension/steering revisions at 2024 model) and the car is much more composed in the rear..night and day difference on public road street driving. Like others said, maybe the shipping spacers were left in front. Or something needs to be buttoned up in the linkages. I'd go to a performance oriented/dedicated alignment shop. Front the bill to Toyota.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
This is brand new and I specifically asked the dealer are there any damages to disclose since there was a discount on the price, but it was due to being a showroom model sitting in the show room between July 2023 and Jan 2024, and I suspected also it was hard to sell because sports car sales in Canada have slowed significantly in the recession and also winter, and another big one was the front plate bracket has been installed already, most used ones I see for sale and ones on the road don't have front plates.
Discounted brand new Supra. That’s fantastic!! Lemme drive it. I’ll break something else and you can take it to a fun aftermarket BMW shop and make it feel like a Cadillac 😃 Luckily this isn’t an unknown for most places anymore (except Toyota dealers 😂).

Lowering the tire pressure, great suggestion! If not, you’ll get her sorted out dude. No doubt

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I didn't read the entire thread, but looking at your AFTER alignment and still experiencing rear wobble/wiggly over one sided bumps, chances are your rear dampers are shot.. or bushing defective.

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
So short conclusion is: I'm not used to rear wheels right behind my butt, or should I say soft BMW rear subframe bushings right behind my butt, and too focused on driving a new car over potholes. Maybe add in I'm too pick or sensitive:oops:

The other Supra and Z4 I drove was about the same, Z4 was a little better maybe due to extra weight. Lowered tire pressure to 32psi all around, and found it just a little better, best way to describe is the range of small bumps that will trigger it is narrower with 32psi, same conclusion from my friend who drove it for 2 hours the day before. No shipping spacers but was still good advice to check because one dust boot wasnt fully sealed with the white plastic boot retainer

Ended up having the AMOD guy and another Autox guy(who told me to buy a Supra in the first place 😅 ) who tracks M2C drive it around the city. They both daily small BMWs for a long time too. Immediately they were like "yeahhhhhh that's a bmw thing, soft rear subframe bushings" basically they got used to it but still notice it, told me I just need to get used to it. And it is due to where I'm sitting I feel the right rear more, when I sat as passenger the right rear felt less wobbly but left side was more, wide track, short wheelbase, and lever arm is longer when I sit on the opposite from the side that hits the pothole.

They also noted that 0.1 deg toe in the rear (coincidentally 2020 max factory limit) is not much, typically aim for 1/16" (~0.25 deg) toe in for more stability, which is near the factory limit for 2023, so I will have a performance shop align it when I'm out of break-in. On closer look it's weird how the dealer can adjust the right front camber on the supra pretty much without touching anything else on the front end, I didn't think camber was adjustable, so maybe the technican bumped the wheel pods on the alignment machine:rolleyes:

I think eventually I would do solid subframe bushings and should help alleviate the issue, but perhaps it really won't be much of an issue when I get used to it, because most of the time on the street it's fine, and when driven hard with more load on the subframe it is stable.

Thanks everyone for the quick suggestions, all helped with peace of mind! Will make an intro post today!

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
So short conclusion is: I'm not used to rear wheels right behind my butt, or should I say soft BMW rear subframe bushings right behind my butt, and too focused on driving a new car over potholes. Maybe add in I'm too pick or sensitive:oops:

The other Supra and Z4 I drove was about the same, Z4 was a little better maybe due to extra weight. Lowered tire pressure to 32psi all around, and found it just a little better, best way to describe is the range of small bumps that will trigger it is narrower with 32psi, same conclusion from my friend who drove it for 2 hours the day before. No shipping spacers but was still good advice to check because one dust boot wasnt fully sealed with the white plastic boot retainer

Ended up having the AMOD guy and another Autox guy(who told me to buy a Supra in the first place 😅 ) who tracks M2C drive it around the city. They both daily small BMWs for a long time too. Immediately they were like "yeahhhhhh that's a bmw thing, soft rear subframe bushings" basically they got used to it but still notice it, told me I just need to get used to it. And it is due to where I'm sitting I feel the right rear more, when I sat as passenger the right rear felt less wobbly but left side was more, wide track, short wheelbase, and lever arm is longer when I sit on the opposite from the side that hits the pothole.

They also noted that 0.1 deg toe in the rear (coincidentally 2020 max factory limit) is not much, typically aim for 1/16" (~0.25 deg) toe in for more stability, which is near the factory limit for 2023, so I will have a performance shop align it when I'm out of break-in. On closer look it's weird how the dealer can adjust the right front camber on the supra pretty much without touching anything else on the front end, I didn't think camber was adjustable, so maybe the technican bumped the wheel pods on the alignment machine:rolleyes:

I think eventually I would do solid subframe bushings and should help alleviate the issue, but perhaps it really won't be much of an issue when I get used to it, because most of the time on the street it's fine, and when driven hard with more load on the subframe it is stable.

Thanks everyone for the quick suggestions, all helped with peace of mind! Will make an intro post today!
yea more toe in, in the rear will make a nice difference in stability. I run 2mm in on each side.

Front camber is not adjustable, only toe. In the rear, both camber and toe are adjustable.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI

Dude I know exactly what you mean. Even on my 2023... Feels like the rear dances a little bit when it shouldn't, and at tame speeds. Had an alignment done by a Supra GT4 race team to factory specs and didn't make a difference.

I think you're right that the subframe bushings are just soft, combined with the seating position in relation to the rear axle.

I'll definitely try more toe in rear during next alignment.

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dude I know exactly what you mean. Even on my 2023... Feels like the rear dances a little bit when it shouldn't, and at tame speeds. Had an alignment done by a Supra GT4 race team to factory specs and didn't make a difference.

I think you're right that the subframe bushings are just soft, combined with the seating position in relation to the rear axle.

I'll definitely try more toe in rear during next alignment.
I got the car rerealigned yesterday by a performance shop, one of those that ask what specs you want when you drop the car off. Because I felt the front camber was fishy since it isnt adjustable the, and somehow the dealer was able to change it so much, basically the dealer alignment was not accurate. Based on razorlab's suggestion, some research about what partial street and track guys go for on this forum. I gave the specs below:
Front toe: 0.05 deg in per side
Rear camber -2.0 deg
Rear toe: 0.18 deg in per side
The car drives fairly different, more stable rear end on the highway, a little more turn-in in the twisties, less wobbly on the right side since it was so out of spec, left sways a little more actually but much more acceptable to what i think it's normal. But main thing is left and right is a lot more consistent, right side a tiny more just cuz of where I'm sitting. Happy camper with this problem now. But a new one came up, wife's close friend's big dog jumped on my quarter panel and scratched up the clear coat after it's freshly ceramic coated....

New specs, great starting point for new supra owners:
See how out of wack Before is on this post compared to After on the 1st post, dealer machine was pretty wack.

420924773_711321217791005_463526447961072281_n.png

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
the single toe out in the rear was definitely no bueno, and as tail happy as this car is, I don't want to play with zero or toe-out either until I get more seat time on track.

front toe, monkey see monkey do. will re-evaluate after a few days this year. i trust @razorlab's and Jackie's judgement

edit: links to a few other threads with similar suggestions i was reading earlier this week

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/track-alignment.2951/

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/supra-bump-steer-fix.6816/post-103265

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/recommended-alignment-specs.17003/post-263630

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is the best thing to reduce toe in at the front, but increase at the rear?
A lot of people do 0 toe in the front, generally that gives it more turn in, and if you want even more you go toe out (but will wear tires a bit quicker in combination with negative camber). Toe-in on the front (+ values), is for more straightline stability (but reduces turn-in a little), a bit less sensitive to road crown, i live near crappy roads so it does make quite a difference and wife drives it too so a little easier for her. I would say with 0.05 deg it's still a bit finnicky over road crowns compared to 0.10 but turn in is quite nice, so I may try 0.07/8 ish next time

Toe-in in the rear is very typical for any car, you want to increase it if you feel like it's unstable over road crown or more stability during corner entry. General conscience with the supra is we do lose a little bit of toe-in during extension (braking), so you want a bit more toe-in so it doesn't go to zero or toe-out during this. More and most importantly even toe-in across the axle in the rear made a big difference for me on the street so far, maybe a little too stable for 60% pace on mountain passes even but I haven't tracked it yet so I'm not going to comment too much on that yet.

With a car that isn't driven hard around turns often and has 0 to -2ish camber, a little bit of toe-in actually promotes more even wear across the tread as you are scuffing the outer tread a bit, whereas 0 toe just rolls forward but more stress on the inner edge due to camber, and toe out you care scuffing and rolling on the inner edge.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Is the best thing to reduce toe in at the front, but increase at the rear?
iirc, toe in for the front would just be more understeer. toe out front is quicker turn in (kind of darty), toe in rear is more rear stability, and toe out is less rear stability. I only have sim experience, so may not be 100% true 🤷‍♂️

Generally toe at 0 in front, and 0.2 in for the rear for an FR-type road car.

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
thanks for posting the numbers, had mine done today as well.

IMG_20240216_120820.jpg
I was watching one of Misha Chouroudin's earlier videos about Supra alignment (4 years ago), his and along with many others (EU and NA) messaging him saying right rear specifically was off from the factory. I found a few posts in this forum too but mostly about 2020 cars and not many specfically complained about right rear, but plenty still complaining about general alignment being crappy. However based on our cars it still very much looks like something during production isn't accurate enough for the right rear corner, perhaps whatever they are assembling the rear subframe with. I dont think transportation is the main cause because that would be way too consistent for human error.
Sponsored