Special Ordering Questions

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
From the buyer's perspective the system is definitely antiquated and designed for a bulk order arrangement where dealers keep dozens and dozens of vehicles on a lot, and the buyers choose from those already on hand. In this way the system is perfect so the head office can track purchases, see what is selling in which regions, and give those regions more of what sells for them... but in the market that caters to "enthusiast" vehicles like the Supra or option heavy offroad vehicles, the end buyer wants more control in the process.

I think eventually the Toyota system will change. Everyone keeps saying "the car sales model of yesteryear with lots full of cars is done and over with" and that the future is in factory direct ordering. However I think we won't see that happen for a while still as the old system still feels like its hanging on by its fingernails unwilling to change.
Sponsored

M4-NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G82 M4
From the buyer's perspective the system is definitely antiquated and designed for a bulk order arrangement where dealers keep dozens and dozens of vehicles on a lot, and the buyers choose from those already on hand. In this way the system is perfect so the head office can track purchases, see what is selling in which regions, and give those regions more of what sells for them... but in the market that caters to "enthusiast" vehicles like the Supra or option heavy offroad vehicles, the end buyer wants more control in the process.

I think eventually the Toyota system will change. Everyone keeps saying "the car sales model of yesteryear with lots full of cars is done and over with" and that the future is in factory direct ordering. However I think we won't see that happen for a while still as the old system still feels like its hanging on by its fingernails unwilling to change.

This is BS, I had no clue it was like this. So it's been this way since the 2020 model year?

I was hoping to custom order a manual 3.0.....

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
Toyota's model doesn't even work for Toyotas manufactured solely by themselves either.

Like I understand that with a worldwide supply chain strain, getting orders fulfilled by Subaru and BMW is iffy.

But dammit I can't even order a Corolla. That's in house Toyota.

It's infuriating TBH.

lordwalker

First Name
Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium, Macan GTS, RS5, Model Y
IMO I wouldn't waste time attempting to "order" at all. Half of dealers who say they can get you a car won't be able to, and a good chunk of the remainder will try and tack on markup after the fact.

I had 3 or so colors I wanted, knew I wanted a 3.0 premium and called around to see what dealers had cars on the lot already. Called probably 20 different dealers, usually given the same BS about "market adjustments" or they'd say to come on down and we'll talk. One guy committed to MSRP over the phone and I wrote a check that day.

I guess if you absolutely need a certain color you could try the waiting game, but in SoCal it didn't seem like it would work out for me.

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
This is BS, I had no clue it was like this. So it's been this way since the 2020 model year?

I was hoping to custom order a manual 3.0.....
To my knowledge the system Toyota uses in the US has been in place for decades. I can't speak to exactly how it was in 2020 as I wasn't actively shopping back then, but I have had the vibe that the last few years made their system choke on itself. I imagine without all the supply problems things would be possibly easier, but it is hard to say for sure as "enthusiast" and "collector" vehicles made in smaller numbers always seem to be feast or famine.

And I'm mostly speaking from my personal experience going from preference to allocation to delivery recently. The process was mildly annoying and required more effort on my part than I'd expect from other manufacturers. I would have greatly preferred it if the process had been like other domestic cars I've purchased in the past where you more or less hand a build sheet to the dealer and they literally order the exact car you want. But after doing my research and talking with dealers and folks online, once I understood how the Toyota system functioned and where its limitations were I adjusted my expectations and also adjusted my approach to the dealers. I found it almost funny how some dealers would straight up lie to my face about the car, the process, or my purchasing options, which meant when I found the dealer I eventually went with who was straightforward and up front without prodding it drastically smoothed the road for me.

Which I think comes down to the biggest potential barricade in the Toyota system: the dealer. If you can find a good dealer who is a straight shooter the seemingly random and illogical process becomes far more bearable, otherwise like lordwalker says you are better off finding a car already on a lot and working your way into it.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
It's true that certain dealers have a lot more sway with the reps that handle allocations than others, but you're probably better off checking that toyota inventory site daily and trying to find something that way.

The original dealer that I put down a deposit with on the day the manual supra was announced last April never could get an allocation for what I wanted, but the next dealer I talked to got the exact spec on the very next allocation cycle (the next week).

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
Toyota's model doesn't even work for Toyotas manufactured solely by themselves either.

Like I understand that with a worldwide supply chain strain, getting orders fulfilled by Subaru and BMW is iffy.

But dammit I can't even order a Corolla. That's in house Toyota.

It's infuriating TBH.
I know multiple people who have ordered BMW M cars without any problems this past year. You can even order a Z4 which is made at the same factory as the supra. This is 100% a Toyota thing (or Japanese thing) and has nothing to do with current supply problems. Even if covid never was a thing you still would not be able to order a Supra.

M4-NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G82 M4
I know multiple people who have ordered BMW M cars without any problems this past year. You can even order a Z4 which is made at the same factory as the supra. This is 100% a Toyota thing (or Japanese thing) and has nothing to do with current supply problems. Even if covid never was a thing you still would not be able to order a Supra.
I could understand this methodology for something as high volume as the Camry and RAV4, but not for low volume GR and TRD cars.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
I could understand this methodology for something as high volume as the Camry and RAV4, but not for low volume GR and TRD cars.
Even though every single American and European (including exotics) brand can custom order any car they sell?

M4-NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G82 M4
Even though every single American and European (including exotics) brand can custom order any car they sell?
Yea, I hear you. It's very odd, especially in today's day and age. I guess your only option at potentially have a chance at getting something extremely close to your desired spec is to work with a major dealer to see if they can secure something to your liking.

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
Toyota's system is designed to mirror their corporate view of their cars, in that they believe people who buy their cars just "want a Toyota" and not a specific Toyota. They also place pretty much their entire distribution system in the hands of statisticians tracking historic sales figures. From a bean counter standpoint this system is the perfect methodical approach to conservative product distribution. When paired with a manufacturing principle which reduces option packages into single large add-ons and relies on delivery side installation for the minor options, they've basically Six Sigma'ed their entire system into the most efficient process they can manage.

At least we don't have to contend with an absolutely arrogant distribution and sales model like Ferrari. How would any of us feel if we called a Toyota dealer to ask about a Supra and were told "Sorry, we won't sell you a Supra until you have a history with us. You need to buy four Camrys, two 86'es, and a special edition Tacoma before we'll even THINK about selling you a Supra."

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
Yea, I hear you. It's very odd, especially in today's day and age. I guess your only option at potentially have a chance at getting something extremely close to your desired spec is to work with a major dealer to see if they can secure something to your liking.
For me basically looking for a black automatic (would take manual also) 3.0L in any spec. Its not like the Supra even comes in many different forms other than the color. But to think its this hard to find one in a reasonable distance is mind blowing.

I would love to put a order into a dealership and wait 6-8 months for the car to be built and call it a day.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
Toyota's system is designed to mirror their corporate view of their cars, in that they believe people who buy their cars just "want a Toyota" and not a specific Toyota. They also place pretty much their entire distribution system in the hands of statisticians tracking historic sales figures. From a bean counter standpoint this system is the perfect methodical approach to conservative product distribution. When paired with a manufacturing principle which reduces option packages into single large add-ons and relies on delivery side installation for the minor options, they've basically Six Sigma'ed their entire system into the most efficient process they can manage.
Every car brand does this but they give the option to also custom order. That`s what people are not understand here. All those cars you see on dealer lots were not custom ordered.

Lets also not forget Toyota employees can custom order cars for themselves. The system to custom order actually does exist. But its not open to dealerships or customers.If I worked for Toyota I could custom order a Supra right now.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
At least we don't have to contend with an absolutely arrogant distribution and sales model like Ferrari. How would any of us feel if we called a Toyota dealer to ask about a Supra and were told "Sorry, we won't sell you a Supra until you have a history with us. You need to buy four Camrys, two 86'es, and a special edition Tacoma before we'll even THINK about selling you a Supra."
This plays into why so many of us revel in Ferrari's losses in Formula One.

I have this t-shirt and it's one of my favorites to wear at automotive events..

miswins.png

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
Every car brand does this but they give the option to also custom order. That`s what people are not understand here. All those cars you see on dealer lots were not custom ordered.

Lets also not forget Toyota employees can custom order cars for themselves. The system to custom order actually does exist. But its not open to dealerships or customers.If I worked for Toyota I could custom order a Supra right now.
I agree that their system is a complete PITA, but when you are in a flyover state like I am and you want a specific Supra, your options are 1) don't get a Supra, 2) try to deal with Toyota's annoying preference allocation system, or 3) buy the overpriced Supra with options you don't want in a color you don't want at an openly hostile dealer who seems to be the only one in a 100 mile radius that actually gets Supras regularly.
Sponsored