Square set up using stock wheels?

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Tried to search but wasn’t successful. Sorry if this has been answered already. Is it possible to use the factory rears for a square set up?
Sponsored

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
staggered set up tends to oversteer.- UNDERSTEER ( i drive better than i type)
square set up bring a bit more balance

can rotate square tires, can offset unusual tire wear if your track is hard on a certain tire.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
staggered set up tends to oversteer.
I believe you mean understeer? Smaller tires in front = less grip, promotes understeer. Wider tires in rear = more grip, reduces understeer.

It's one of the reasons the Audi RS3 comes with wider tires up front from the factory. To help it turn.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Are there any clear advantages to doing this?
The biggest one, that @Rocksandblues already mentioned, is the ability to rotate all four tires which will greatly extend tire life when tracking the car, and honestly, even for road use.

Secondly, it adds more grip to the front compared to a staggered setup, which will make the car more neutral.

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
What about for drifting staggered has to be better for that?

OP
OP

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Thanks for the responses. I’ve managed to collect three sets of factory wheels so I’m definitely going to consider this route when my current AX tires are finished.
Follow-up question. I’m currently running Z4 springs, a 13 mm spacer, and 3 degrees camber (Verus plates). Any issues running a square 275/35 with this set up?

Almost forgot, this is for AX only. I no longer do track days.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
An acquaintance of mine runs the stock 2.0 wheels for a cheap squared setup. I'm guessing it's two pairs of 2.0 rears.

OP
OP

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Thanks for the responses. I’ve managed to collect three sets of factory wheels so I’m definitely going to consider this route when my current AX tires are finished.
Follow-up question. I’m currently running Z4 springs, a 13 mm spacer, and 3 degrees camber (Verus plates). Any issues running a square 275/35 with this set up?

Almost forgot, this is for AX only. I no longer do track days.
Bob/Bryan - any thoughts or experience regarding my potential set up? I also has a spare set of 10 mm spacers if the 13s push out too much.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
definitely need spacer in front to use rear wheel on front. It may stick out like show car depend on how big of spacer you use. with spacer, definitely need to get longer lug bolts. my recommendation is, get a set that is meant to be square for GR Supra. Apex wheel guide provide excellent information.

as for stager vs square, it's a preference.
Sponsored