Started car today and oil warning cane on

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Sorry. This may have been covered before. But I started my Supra today (21 a91) and a oil warning came on the screen saying I need Toyota to do something w my oil. I have 2620 miles. Is this normal or is this the dreaded consuming issue
Most likely you are 1 quart/ 1 liter down. Almost 3000 miles. Thats more than in-line with BMW specs as noted in the owners manual etc. Ad a touch and remeasure. I check mine weekly. Its easy.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Sam B

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Ok. And to be clear. When I do it. Should I use a heavier oil. Also. Would you use amsoil?

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Ok. And to be clear. When I do it. Should I use a heavier oil. Also. Would you use amsoil?
One should read the owners manual and use the recommendations from BMW. Oil for the car that meets the spec is not difficult to find. The procedure to add oil is outlined in the manual as well. Its not a big problem to solve overall.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I use liquimoly 5W30. The car seems to like it. What you're seeing on your dash is just a reminder to service it. Comes up after 12 months or 10k miles. Whichever comes first.

zulhijj

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
Mine showed this the other day too. I picked up my car December 1st and it only has 350 miles on it. I assumed since mine was sitting at the dealer since February ā€¦

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
Mine showed this the other day too. I picked up my car December 1st and it only has 350 miles on it. I assumed since mine was sitting at the dealer since February ā€¦

Car been sitting around since Nov 20 then. I'd make the dealer change it they should have before they sold it to you.

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Never bothered to bring it in. Really don't want anyone touching the car unless shit hits the fan.
Just keep it documented and changed when it should be. I feel you on this, if mine ever got to be a problem just drop it off at P2uned and have it built.

Reactions: zrk

zulhijj

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
Car been sitting around since Nov 20 then. I'd make the dealer change it they should have before they sold it to you.
Thanks. Iā€™ll reach out. Was waiting for. The weather to get a bit nicer. ?

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Just keep it documented and changed when it should be. I feel you on this, if mine ever got to be a problem just drop it off at P2uned and have it built.
speaking ofā€¦ now off to autozone to add my fifth quart of oil. 5.1k miles pretty much exactly. I drive it HARD. Manual says 1k miles per quart is within spec so I just send it and keep a quart in the glovebox.
943ECAD0-943F-44D4-A921-22B0D4EDD1D7.jpeg

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
As stated previously, the car is requesting an oil change. You don't have any signs of consumption right now. The current oil has been in the engine for over a year judging by the message you have. Intervals are either 10,000 miles or 1 year.

As far as viscosity/brand to use, that is by far the biggest hornets nest known to the car community. I will say this, as if the internet needs another opinion on the topic, I use Amsoil European LS 0W-20. That is what is recommended by Amsoil for the 3.0 Supra. I had planned on changing to 5W-30 in the future as Amsoil does have a Low SAPS version in that viscosity, but recently there was a topic about someone having to change the VANOS with something having to do with thicker oil being ran. So as much as I don't like how thin the stock oil is for that reason I'm going to stick with it at least for now.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
There is NO way that is normal or acceptable on a brand new car.
It's not normal nor acceptable...At least I wouldn't be pleased if this were happening with my Supra...

I've been using the standard 0w-20 oil in mine for over 2 years now and have never had to add oil to mine between each 8500 mile oil change intervals...

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
It's not normal nor acceptable...At least I wouldn't be pleased if this were happening with my Supra...

I've been using the standard 0w-20 oil in mine for over 2 years now and have never had to add oil to mine between each 8500 mile oil change intervals...
looks like Iā€™m due for another quart after some spirited driving today. Thatā€™s 600 miles since my last quart was added. JB4 was installed during that time. Not blaming just notating.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
You
looks like Iā€™m due for another quart after some spirited driving today. Thatā€™s 600 miles since my last quart was added. JB4 was installed during that time. Not blaming just notating.
will never need to change your oil I bet...you add so much.

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Its a 21 thing you wont see that issue.
Sponsored