Started car today and oil warning cane on

iEatCommunists

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0 Premium
The first 2 years of oil changes r covered by toyota. Will they put 5w30 in it if requested?
Sponsored

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
The first 2 years of oil changes r covered by toyota. Will they put 5w30 in it if requested?
This depends entirely on the dealership, but my local dealer says no (at least for the complementary oil changes). They'll only put what the manufacturer tells them to put.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
OP,

I've found that there is a lot of conflicting, misleading, or downright wrong information being passed around online about all things oil and this car. Your best bet is to take it to the dealer and have them work with you on this. Despite my dealer not really helping me to my satisfaction, I did learn a lot from the process of dealing with my own oil consumption scare that I'm a lot more comfortable with the situation now than I was.

If I had to guess, I think for some (not all, please don't flame me) the lack of a traditional dipstick creates a situation where you as the owner are another step away from really knowing how much oil really exists in the engine and start letting their mind tend toward the worst case. The digital version doesn't really help with any context at all, and the issue might not truly be consumption in the end. Given the relatively low mileage that you got the indication I can't recommend taking your concerns to the dealer enough.

Cheers!

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Sounds like the time has passed (not mileage) and the computer has determined the car is due for an oil change. A standard manufacture computer service default. This is not an oil consumption issue for the particular error code.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
This depends entirely on the dealership, but my local dealer says no (at least for the complementary oil changes). They'll only put what the manufacturer tells them to put.
I second that. I have seen posts on this very site where other people have quoted the owners manual incorrectly. Page 297-298 should tell you what you need to know.

fatal-element

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nitro Yellow 3.0 Prem, RIP to my E92 M3
Is it just low? Mine drinks oil like crazy (about a quart every 1k miles)
Just add a quart and move on with life. I've accepted my place as a BMW owner...
I assume everyone saying how crazy and unacceptable this is has never owned a BMW.... my M3 did this from day one through the next 150k miles. Depending on how hard I drove, 1k to 1.5k per quart. I just kept a bag with a few quarts in the trunk, got pretty used to starting the car, getting the message, popping the hood, and topping it off. My local O'Reilly's kept a regular order of 10W-60 for me on hand. Friend's M5 drank even more, BMW dealership yanked the engine TWICE to make sure it wasn't leaking somewhere, it was not, they sent him home with it both times and finally BMW NA said "it's within spec, don't come back." You learn to live with it. Some Ms did it, some didn't, BMW didn't really care either way.

BMW's official position on the matter for ALL BMW engines is for non-M engines, 750mi/quart is the limit of within spec, M is allowed to be worse.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I assume everyone saying how crazy and unacceptable this is has never owned a BMW.... my M3 did this from day one through the next 150k miles. Depending on how hard I drove, 1k to 1.5k per quart. I just kept a bag with a few quarts in the trunk, got pretty used to starting the car, getting the message, popping the hood, and topping it off. My local O'Reilly's kept a regular order of 10W-60 for me on hand. Friend's M5 drank even more, BMW dealership yanked the engine TWICE to make sure it wasn't leaking somewhere, it was not, they sent him home with it both times and finally BMW NA said "it's within spec, don't come back." You learn to live with it. Some Ms did it, some didn't, BMW didn't really care either way.

BMW's official position on the matter for ALL BMW engines is for non-M engines, 750mi/quart is the limit of within spec, M is allowed to be worse.
I am pretty sure my last bmw had a spot beside the battery in the trunk for an extra bottle of oil for instances like this.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I bring my own LiquiMoly to the dealer. They throw it in for me, and I get the 0w20 in case of emergency or whatever. I like my dealer.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra

I’ve owned 2 e36 M3 and an e39 M5 and never had that kind of issue.
Sponsored