OpenFlash Performance

First Name
Shiv
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, 458, FF, GT3, CX9
Greetings,
It didn't take us long to start digging into the ECU on our now 2 day old Supra. The same night we picked it up, we read out the ECU calibration and started to work on an ECU tune. The Supra shares the same ECU hardware (Bosch MG1) as some other cars that we are very familiar with (F90 M5, Lambo Urus, etc.) so putting together a test tune file was straightforward. The next day (yesterday) I ran some baseline pulls on the dyno to see just how much more power the 2021s are putting down and the results were right in line with what Toyota claims. So just before calling it a day, I decided to give our very-early-in-development not-even-beta tune a few runs for the sole purpose of gathering some engine data.

There is only about 25min of development time in this tune so by no means will it represent anything close to final calibration. All I did was alter load targets. No changes to fueling targets, ignition advance or limiters. So basically I just tested the response of the boost control logic, nothing more nothing less. And thankfully the outcome was in line with expectations. More hp/torqe everywhere but with some knock retard between 5000 and 6300rpm. This explains the "flat" power curve above 5500 and then how it ramps back up at 6500rpm. Currently in the process of defining all the relevant ignition timing and fuel tables to allow for actual tuning during our first dyno tuning session. When properly tuned, that flat spot should fill in nicely and pick up some decent peak power. But off to a promising start.

On this dyno, running 91oct California fuel, typical power numbers of custom tuned 2020 cars are in the 395-400whp range. So it seems quite likely the 2021 should be easily able to match or exceed that with a very conservative off-the-shelf calibration. Now I just have to make that calibration which means a lot of dyno tuning time and then plenty of road/track testing. This is always the fun part of new car development :)

daZbHx.png

nNYGRU.jpg

Sponsored

ALEXVOSS123

First Name
ALEX
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV5 SUPRA
So , can we say that a tuned 2021 supra vs 2020 supra both tuned makes approximate the same power?

OP
OP
OpenFlash Performance

OpenFlash Performance

First Name
Shiv
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, 458, FF, GT3, CX9
So , can we say that a tuned 2021 supra vs 2020 supra both tuned makes approximate the same power?
I don't think we can be absolutely sure of anything until we finish tuning the 2021. So far all we did was test an incomplete tune file that I spent 30min putting together at Starbucks while chugging a chai latte :)

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I don't think we can be absolutely sure of anything until we finish tuning the 2021. So far all we did was test an incomplete tune file that I spent 30min putting together at Starbucks while chugging a chai latte :)
Is the 2021 ECU locked like 2020, does it need bench unlock?

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Is the 2021 ECU locked like 2020, does it need bench unlock?
100% locked, as further evidence, I'm pretty sure the picture with the laptop on the engine is him bench unlocking it.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Greetings,
It didn't take us long to start digging into the ECU on our now 2 day old Supra. The same night we picked it up, we read out the ECU calibration and started to work on an ECU tune. The Supra shares the same ECU hardware (Bosch MG1) as some other cars that we are very familiar with (F90 M5, Lambo Urus, etc.) so putting together a test tune file was straightforward. The next day (yesterday) I ran some baseline pulls on the dyno to see just how much more power the 2021s are putting down and the results were right in line with what Toyota claims. So just before calling it a day, I decided to give our very-early-in-development not-even-beta tune a few runs for the sole purpose of gathering some engine data.

There is only about 25min of development time in this tune so by no means will it represent anything close to final calibration. All I did was alter load targets. No changes to fueling targets, ignition advance or limiters. So basically I just tested the response of the boost control logic, nothing more nothing less. And thankfully the outcome was in line with expectations. More hp/torqe everywhere but with some knock retard between 5000 and 6300rpm. This explains the "flat" power curve above 5500 and then how it ramps back up at 6500rpm. Currently in the process of defining all the relevant ignition timing and fuel tables to allow for actual tuning during our first dyno tuning session. When properly tuned, that flat spot should fill in nicely and pick up some decent peak power. But off to a promising start.

On this dyno, running 91oct California fuel, typical power numbers of custom tuned 2020 cars are in the 395-400whp range. So it seems quite likely the 2021 should be easily able to match or exceed that with a very conservative off-the-shelf calibration. Now I just have to make that calibration which means a lot of dyno tuning time and then plenty of road/track testing. This is always the fun part of new car development :)

daZbHx.png

nNYGRU.jpg

This is fantastic. Looking forward to what you guys develop in the future.

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Downshift Blue Supra
Are you guys going to do any work on the 2020?

Phantom Grey Supra

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019’ Yamaha R1m —2020 F450—2021 Supra 3.0 —1999 silverado 4x4–1997 Husqvarna CR250– 2012 VW Jetta GLI TDI conversion
Absolutely. Working on one now :)
How’s the 2021 looking ? I wanted to buy different multiple tunes to test them out. ecutek & jb4 & bootMod3. Is it even worth trying a 2020 off the shelf tune or are we talking messing up the motor because of different compression and timings. I feel like there would definitly be knock if a 2021 had a 2020 ots tune.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
How’s the 2021 looking ? I wanted to buy different multiple tunes to test them out. ecutek & jb4 & bootMod3. Is it even worth trying a 2020 off the shelf tune or are we talking messing up the motor because of different compression and timings. I feel like there would definitly be knock if a 2021 had a 2020 ots tune.
Seems like a big waste of money unless you have $$ to spare.

Phantom Grey Supra

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019’ Yamaha R1m —2020 F450—2021 Supra 3.0 —1999 silverado 4x4–1997 Husqvarna CR250– 2012 VW Jetta GLI TDI conversion
Status
Not open for further replies.