Stiffer, more stable but not lower.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Really? Haven't jacked up the car and looked. A quick Google search doesn't yield any videos or instructions. Nothing on the SPL Parts website about installation. Have a pointer to a process I can look at to install them? In terms of their suitability for the street, as I joke about with my wife, I'm building a car that is fun to drive but not enjoyable to drive. 😆 It's just a fun street car/track car for me so nothing I'll have to live with on a daily basis. If I did, I for sure as hell wouldn't have the AWE Track Edition exhaust on it.
Twisted Tuning has one on their site:
https://twistedtuning.com/pages/guides-and-diys
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...g_Supra_MKV_transmission_mount_install_v1.pdf

As for the SPL diff mounts, I haven't done those before so I'm not sure how bad that one is
Sponsored

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Twisted Tuning has one on their site:
https://twistedtuning.com/pages/guides-and-diys
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...g_Supra_MKV_transmission_mount_install_v1.pdf

As for the SPL diff mounts, I haven't done those before so I'm not sure how bad that one is
Ah hell I read that as diff mounts because I'm trying to do too many things at once, hence my reference to the SPL Parts website. But thank you, I hadn't seen these instructions and they didn't come from Twisted Tuning with the parts. Appreciate it!

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
405 lbs is 34% stiffer than stock, not 134%. You could say 134% as stiff as stock, but not 134% stiffer. So front sway on soft with stock rear ultimately makes the front 34% stiffer with no change to the rear. Meanwhile front sway on stiff and rear sway on soft makes the front 95% stiffer and the rear 55% stiffer, which is pretty close to the same relative change.
aFe's calculation is percent increase.
Initial Rate=173
Final Rate=405
(Final-Initial)/Initial x 100 = % Increase
(405-173)/173 x 100 = 134% increase or 134% stiffer than stock

another example:
Initial Rate=173
Final Rate=346
(346-173)/173 x 100 = 100% increase
You wouldn't say this is 0% stiffer, would you?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I mainly track my car, more than 50% of my miles are from on track usage and I would never put those transmission mounts in the car. I drove in one with them, they are insanely annoying and will make you hate the car.

I also come from the land of Evos so I am no stranger to insane drivetrain noises.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
(346-173)/173 x 100 = 100% increase
You wouldn't say this is 0% stiffer, would you?
Course not, I was going off of dzeleski's original post that said the stock was 300, so 405 would be 35% stiffer. Going back and looking at the rest of the numbers though, it looks like stock is 173, that's the only number that makes sense for all 3 stiffness settings, in which case yes it's 134%.

With that in mind, front only on the softest setting is +134% F +0% R, while front on stiffest and rear on softest is +195% F +155% R, which is quite different.

OP
OP
domingo

domingo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
AC Schnitzer springs have -15-25mm drop. If -15mm front is possible I will probably try it.
They ~370€ for set.
I will most likely buy KW V3 DDC anyway but move it to next year.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
AC Schnitzer springs have -15-25mm drop. If -15mm front is possible I will probably try it.
They ~370€ for set.
I will most likely buy KW V3 DDC anyway but move it to next year.
Why not look at the HKS adjustable springs?

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I mainly track my car, more than 50% of my miles are from on track usage and I would never put those transmission mounts in the car. I drove in one with them, they are insanely annoying and will make you hate the car.

I also come from the land of Evos so I am no stranger to insane drivetrain noises.
Why do you dislike them so much? What about them specifically?

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
They vibrate like a mofo and you hear all the drivetrain sounds.
Scweeeeeeeeeeeeeee kerchunk scweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee kerchunk vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr kind of stuff? Here's the thing though, I've had such good luck with other fun cars I've owned having solid mounts (engine, transmission, differential, etc.). The cars feel so responsive afterwards and like everything is just immediate. Just like replacing suspension bushings and parts with materials that are more firm make it feel more pointy.

Bassoonytoon

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nitro Yellow / 2017 86 Special Editio
I run a front swaybar with OEM rear. It greatly added front stability and reduced front end float on track. Coupled with 550lb front and 500lb rear (true coilover), the car feels great on track. Would be perfectly fine on the street. A good amount of fast track guys do this. Real world examples, not someone doing improper theoretical math on a forum.

I am still able to steer the car with throttle and the car still feels like a short wheel base RWD car, just way more stable.
Out of curiosity, do you have any experience or insight into running a front swaybar with OEM rear on stock suspension? I'm looking for a little more stability from the rear wheels without going lower, but don't want to mess up the balance too much.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Out of curiosity, do you have any experience or insight into running a front swaybar with OEM rear on stock suspension? I'm looking for a little more stability from the rear wheels without going lower, but don't want to mess up the balance too much.
I do not. When you say you are looking for more stability from the rear wheels do you mean reduce the twitchness of the car in stock form? If so, have you done an alignment? Adding some rear toe-in makes a dramatic difference to the stability of the rear.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Scweeeeeeeeeeeeeee kerchunk scweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee kerchunk vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr kind of stuff? Here's the thing though, I've had such good luck with other fun cars I've owned having solid mounts (engine, transmission, differential, etc.). The cars feel so responsive afterwards and like everything is just immediate. Just like replacing suspension bushings and parts with materials that are more firm make it feel more pointy.
It's more than just drivetrain noises, the entire car shakes. I made it about 1-2 miles into my test drive before I had to turn around and jack the car back up to find WTF I screwed up. I re-adjusted the exhaust just in case it was slamming against the body, went back out, and 1-2 miles into the drive had to turn around and jack the car back up to pull the mounts back off.

My WRX and STi don't/didn't have solid mounts, but they do/did have stiffer motor, tranny, diff mounts as well as shifter and outrigger bushings. On those you hear a bit more gear whine and that's about it. The Supra with transmission mounts is a completely different matter. I never even got into boost on my test drive because it felt like the car was going to rip itself apart.
Sponsored