Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
New owners took delivery today and they love it. Going to a happy home.

This wasn’t meant to be a Tesla vs Supra thread, thats just what I did. Not say ing it’s better option or worse. I owned both for quite a while. The Tesla is fun in it’s own way to drive and so is the Supra. I’ve had both in the mountains on twisty roads and both are very fun to drive. We drove 150 miles to deliver it so I got a nice road trip in it 1 last time.

in a few months i’ll order the Plaid and see how that goes. Gotta love a family car that runs 9’s!
Sponsored

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
I just will NOT sell my Supra. EVER. E V E R .

It's an astonishingly beautiful car and the best part - unlike freaking Teslas - they are entirely RARE to see on the road which is a huge appeal to me.

Do what you must. But this cat is keeping his girl.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Our new neighbors that just moved in both husband and wife in their early 30’s with kids both work from home so they don’t commute and they both own Tesla’s. A Model Y and the new Model 3. It’s more than the commute. If you’re not a car person, it’s just practicality to never have to get gas and charge your car at home.
The biggest advantage of ownership IMO of an electric is the minimal maintenance aspect. I do all my own maintenance (where i can) on 4 ICE vehicles and can tell you, it's a lot. There are piles of folks, that grew up in A-to-B families (non-car enthusiasts) that were not told what a maintenance schedule is or how to take proper care of a vehicle......until a light comes on or there is a strange noise. Electric vehicles (once they come down to the $20k range) will be great for these folks who are ignorant, claim to have no time, or cannot be bothered to learn how to take proper care of things. :)

OP
OP
Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
I just will NOT sell my Supra. EVER. E V E R .

It's an astonishingly beautiful car and the best part - unlike freaking Teslas - they are entirely RARE to see on the road which is a huge appeal to me.

Do what you must. But this cat is keeping his girl.
That’s great for you! There are a lot of cool cars out there and I want to try them all.
It’s not everyone’s cup o tea as they say. I still have my Polaris Slingshot and my Harley. So plenty of suck bang blow to go around at my house outside of the Tesla.

SupraTR

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 Premium; Mazda CX-5
So much EV/Tesla hate anytime they are mentioned on a car forum. Great way for people to demonstrate they are close-minded (when the tone related to EV discussion is aggressively negative). They are technologically different than I/C cars and either fit your use-case/preference or not - don't understand why its necessary to inject so much emotion into something, but such is life.

Congrats on the sale and post some pics sometime when the Model Y or Plaid are modified. I haven't looked much into modified Tesla's but am definitely curious (guessing its primarily looks inside/out and suspension). When I replace my DD an EV would make more "logical" sense for me. However I want/need a I/C truck as I do a lot of DIY, enjoy wrenching, and current EV truck options don't excite me. Will strongly consider down the road as a DD as options mature and when the wife is looking for a new vehicle.

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
Several college buddies who I still hang out with regularly today used to have cars like a 94 prelude, Integras, WRXs, 350z, E46s, G35s, and S4s who now mostly have either a model 3 or y and a couple with Xs.
I think this says a lot about Teslas. All these people used to love enthusiast cars and are quite happy with Model 3s. It must mean the Model 3 has a lot going for it.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I think this says a lot about Teslas. All these people used to love enthusiast cars and are quite happy with Model 3s. It must mean the Model 3 has a lot going for it.
Or, they lost the will to live, and decided a couple bucks is worth sitting for 45 minutes of charging, and trade a passion for driving for "commuting".
Next is a pair of sandals, socks up to their knees, and khaki shorts.

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
I suppose. Some of them have outgrown the car enthusiast in them…. Others got married and now have wives 😂

But in all seriousness if “fast” on commutes is all you need/want then it’s hard to talk down on Teslas now - particularly since the 3s and Ys are reasonably affordable now.

Sucks for those ppl that bought Teslas during the height and are currently underwater on them (and there are a lot of them) - the guy who had the G35 openly rants that he is under water on the Y he got about a year ago.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Sucks for those ppl that bought Teslas during the height and are currently underwater on them (and there are a lot of them) - the guy who had the G35 openly rants that he is under water on the Y he got about a year ago.
Facts! And why they are way more attractive now imo. Used that is. You can get these thing at a fraction of the cost new. Most previous owners didn’t drive them much, due to the 80/20% EV battery rule (don’t charge above 80% nor let her fall below 20%).

The other Florida guys probably know this. The insurance on those suckers are way more as well. Needs to be considered in cost of ownership. If that battery gets hit, she’s expensive to fix. Thus the insurance companies aren’t stupid and pass on that expense/cost back to the owner.

Rumor has it, you go thru tires quicker. So I’ve heard. That’s not a deal breaker to me. But something to consider.

Love me some Scotty with his basic ICE car advice. Dude is hilarious 🤣 in the hands of an EV ☝

oreobbq

First Name
oreo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 A91 Refraction Blue
Having driven both for a while, EVs and ICE are fun in their own ways. And I’m amused by the insecure owners on both sides.

"Oh you got a Tesla? Have fun in your toaster/microwave/whatever appliance comes to mind." 😂

I’ll echo the OP and mention the driving experience is a rush in its own way. The M3P feels like a go cart on steroids.

There are less moving parts, so the mods you can do are wraps, aero, weight reduction, and suspension changes.

Yes you go through tires quickly because they’re heavy cars and the instant torque eats them up faster. You can certainly drive them like a grandma and have less of this issue.

Tesla offers their own insurance. I tried it for a month then dropped it because the rate went through the roof after it analyzed my driving habits lol.

Supras are rare in comparison so if you switch to a Tesla you will feel less like a special boy.

BillyLong42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
I found a Morizo Corolla and have been talking to the dealer about grabbing that and swapping the Supra. Do I really wanna do that? Yea, maybe. I don't know man why cant I just keep a car for longer than 2 years? 😆 😭

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
I found a Morizo Corolla and have been talking to the dealer about grabbing that and swapping the Supra. Do I really wanna do that? Yea, maybe. I don't know man why cant I just keep a car for longer than 2 years? 😆 😭
Supra for a corolla seems criminal

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
The Morizo is sooo rare though! I don't know if I could pass that up. You can always find another MKV, but I've never seen a Morizo.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Supra for a corolla seems criminal
That's why you get both 😉
The GRC is a lot of fun, but it's completely different than the Supra. The Supra is much faster obviously, and more lively because RWD vs AWD. I wouldn't trade the Supra for a GRC, I think that's a mistake.
Sponsored