Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Yea the Tesla hate is strong and admittedly before I owned one I kinda shit on them to and I don’t really know why I did. After owning 3 of them they have just been awesome. From the buying experience (which screw dealers fyi they suck a$$) to the charging network to the mobile app which smokes any vendor out there by miles, kinda like the performance of there cars just kinda smoke most everything out. Not just in 1/4 mile times but they consistently put up some pretty impressive lap times.

It’s funny most info people spout off on is completely false and seriously misinformed such as:

1. Battery - ”you have to sit around for 45 min to charge all the time” - Basically no you don’t . Most charges avg 15-20 min depends on where you are going and how hard you drive it. Which is no different than a gas car. Drive like an idiot and your fuel MPG does down and you don’t go as far no different in a Tesla. The nice part about charging is you get a break for 15 min, get out stretch your legs, get a drink and they are usually in nice places Like Malls where you can get lunch and do some shopping, since as mentioned we are older and married and have wives and Ohhhh Money that we didn’t blow on parts and gas so we can go shopping.

2. ”Their Boring” - basically your scared you might actually like it.

3. ”It’s a toaster, appliance, etc” - It’s a computer, it’s smarter then you and FSD probably drives better then you do too

4. Tires wear faster - Not true we had a M3P and we put 25,000 miles on the original tires and they had plenty of life left. It’s all in how you drive, period. It’s not like it weighs 1000’s of pounds more then other cars. the M3P weighs 4000lbs. Know what else weighs 4000lbs, damn near everything else a Shelby GT500, Lexus SC500, Hellcat Charger, Hellcat Challenger and the list goes on.

5. Insurance cost more - This depends on you. The Teslas only cost a couple hundred bucks more on my insurance policy but that is only becuase they are 3yrs newer then my Supra But is inline with all my Mustangs and Expeditions and F150’s I’ve owned.

6. The range sucks you can only do 80/20 on the battery - The daily driving 99.9999% people do doesn’t require 330 miles of range 265 is just fine for daily driving (battery at 80% SOC). When you road trip charge to 100%. Do you have to stop every 3hrs to charge? Yes for about 15-18 min depending on how far your going to get to the next stop 2-3hrs away. Everyone says they want to drive 500 miles at a time but again 99.9999% of people can’t physically sit in a car let alone hold there pee for 7-8 HOURS without a break and most gas cars can’t make it that far anyways so why expect that out of an EV?

It’s just an alternative way of powering the same standard vehicle, at the end of the day it’s still a car, you can still mod it and have fun with it and now tracks are installing chargers so you can track it too.

Some benefits of having a Tesla.

1. It can drive ME to work and Home again
2. I never need gas
3. I never need plugs
4. I never need oil changes
5. I can fill up at my house on my time, my car is always full and ready when I leave
6. Charge network is amazing between us and my brother in law we’ve put over 125,000 miles on Teslas. Never an issue anywhere from Texas east (as far as I can speak for) and all the way up north and YES in below freezing temps. Always works. Always nice, Always fast.
7. It cost us $348 in electricity for an entire year of driving 25,000 miles on our M3P that’s a whopping $29 a month.
8. the M3P is faster then most of you both in a straight line and on the track the Plaid IS faster than all of you sans A handful of 8 an 9 sec Supras and those aren’t nearly as comfy as 4 door super sled. I know Ego bruised, it hurts it’s OK we can get a group therapy sesh together.
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I hated Tesla and electric cars as a whole for a long time. Eventually realized it’s not the electric car that I hate, it’s the righteous owners and Kool-Aid drinkers that I can’t stand. Level headed electric car owners are thankfully becoming more common.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Yea the Tesla hate is strong and admittedly before I owned one I kinda shit on them to and I don’t really know why I did. After owning 3 of them they have just been awesome. From the buying experience (which screw dealers fyi they suck a$$) to the charging network to the mobile app which smokes any vendor out there by miles, kinda like the performance of there cars just kinda smoke most everything out. Not just in 1/4 mile times but they consistently put up some pretty impressive lap times.

It’s funny most info people spout off on is completely false and seriously misinformed such as:

1. Battery - ”you have to sit around for 45 min to charge all the time” - Basically no you don’t . Most charges avg 15-20 min depends on where you are going and how hard you drive it. Which is no different than a gas car. Drive like an idiot and your fuel MPG does down and you don’t go as far no different in a Tesla. The nice part about charging is you get a break for 15 min, get out stretch your legs, get a drink and they are usually in nice places Like Malls where you can get lunch and do some shopping, since as mentioned we are older and married and have wives and Ohhhh Money that we didn’t blow on parts and gas so we can go shopping.

2. ”Their Boring” - basically your scared you might actually like it.

3. ”It’s a toaster, appliance, etc” - It’s a computer, it’s smarter then you and FSD probably drives better then you do too

4. Tires wear faster - Not true we had a M3P and we put 25,000 miles on the original tires and they had plenty of life left. It’s all in how you drive, period. It’s not like it weighs 1000’s of pounds more then other cars. the M3P weighs 4000lbs. Know what else weighs 4000lbs, damn near everything else a Shelby GT500, Lexus SC500, Hellcat Charger, Hellcat Challenger and the list goes on.

5. Insurance cost more - This depends on you. The Teslas only cost a couple hundred bucks more on my insurance policy but that is only becuase they are 3yrs newer then my Supra But is inline with all my Mustangs and Expeditions and F150’s I’ve owned.

6. The range sucks you can only do 80/20 on the battery - The daily driving 99.9999% people do doesn’t require 330 miles of range 265 is just fine for daily driving (battery at 80% SOC). When you road trip charge to 100%. Do you have to stop every 3hrs to charge? Yes for about 15-18 min depending on how far your going to get to the next stop 2-3hrs away. Everyone says they want to drive 500 miles at a time but again 99.9999% of people can’t physically sit in a car let alone hold there pee for 7-8 HOURS without a break and most gas cars can’t make it that far anyways so why expect that out of an EV?

It’s just an alternative way of powering the same standard vehicle, at the end of the day it’s still a car, you can still mod it and have fun with it and now tracks are installing chargers so you can track it too.

Some benefits of having a Tesla.

1. It can drive ME to work and Home again
2. I never need gas
3. I never need plugs
4. I never need oil changes
5. I can fill up at my house on my time, my car is always full and ready when I leave
6. Charge network is amazing between us and my brother in law we’ve put over 125,000 miles on Teslas. Never an issue anywhere from Texas east (as far as I can speak for) and all the way up north and YES in below freezing temps. Always works. Always nice, Always fast.
7. It cost us $348 in electricity for an entire year of driving 25,000 miles on our M3P that’s a whopping $29 a month.
8. the M3P is faster then most of you both in a straight line and on the track the Plaid IS faster than all of you sans A handful of 8 an 9 sec Supras and those aren’t nearly as comfy as 4 door super sled. I know Ego bruised, it hurts it’s OK we can get a group therapy sesh together.
They're cheap POS. Look at all the Cybertruck problems. Electric cars have ONE trick. Instant torque. Other than that, it's nothing. Terrible build quality, you lose your ass when you want to sell it, new batteries cost more than they're worth, etc.

I'll drive a slower ICE car, listen to it roar under bridges and in tunnels, making me smile, know it can handle corners, and when the smiles run out, I can fill them up in 2 minutes, not 18 or 45.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
I hated Tesla and electric cars as a whole for a long time. Eventually realized it’s not the electric car that I hate, it’s the righteous owners and Kool-Aid drinkers that I can’t stand. Level headed electric car owners are thankfully becoming more common.
This.

I remember when my cousin got a model 3 "long range" talking about taking GTR'S and lambos off the light and celebrating. The bs he sprewed were suffocating. All his family invites have been thoroughly rejected since then.

BillyLong42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
The Morizo is sooo rare though! I don't know if I could pass that up. You can always find another MKV, but I've never seen a Morizo.
I know! And its a white one which is what I want. Its for sure a downgrade in comfort and luxury but man it looks like it would be great to have!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Electric cars have ONE trick
Yes, agreed. It's an unbelievably comfortable commute to and from work with minimal hassle around maintenance, for those that just want to get to work and back without thinking about 'car.' Because most people don't give a fuck and they just want to get to work so they can do whatever their bullshit job is.

It's honestly a great trick, and why we had one for so long for my wife. I'd buy another.

OP
OP
Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
They're cheap POS. Look at all the Cybertruck problems. Electric cars have ONE trick. Instant torque. Other than that, it's nothing. Terrible build quality, you lose your ass when you want to sell it, new batteries cost more than they're worth, etc.

I'll drive a slower ICE car, listen to it roar under bridges and in tunnels, making me smile, know it can handle corners, and when the smiles run out, I can fill them up in 2 minutes, not 18 or 45.
And you prove the point. Misinformed and spouting off shit you probably don’t know anything about. My family has owned several, for years, sold and traded and new. Everything you just said is either false or someones opinion.

Look you don’t like them that’s fine, easy don’t own one. But spouting off and repeating someone elses talking points you don’t really know about first hand is part of the problem with why Tesla gets such a bad rap (well besides Elon Musk is an asshole but he is a genius and they are usually strange birds).

Losing value: False: No better or worse than any regular ICE car. My MP3 held it’s value just fine, I traded it in on my Model Y and got great money for it. No better or worse than any ICE car i’ve owned and traded or sold.

Build Quality - New vehicle launch issues aside the quality of the current Model 3/Y/S/X is really good. I’ve had no warranty issues with any of my cars and the body panels line up no better/worse than any other car i’ve owned including Mercedes, Lincoln, Ford and others. Considering Tesla has only been around for 20 yrs‘ish and the other OEM’s have been around for a 100 and Tesla’s quality is definitely on par with them I’d say that’s a f*ck’n win for Tesla. They do it just as well as everyone else does it. No Better but No Worse

For every bad video about a Tesla you find I can find 10x on other OEM’s, I just watched throttle house talking about the orange peel in a 150k Mercedes it was soooo bad. I think it was the outgoing AMG Coupe convertible.

“there a 1 trick pony” - No. Just No. But lets evaluate that for a minute. How many tricks does a car actually have? A car is a car they all have the same tricks. They go forward or they turn oh and they stop. Telsa does all of those very well. So technically all cars are really 3 trick ponies. Again it’s a fuel alternative not a f*ckin alien spaceship they all do the same thing and Tesla happens to do it faster then a lot of others. Which is funny because they can’t beat it they have to disparage it. Sorry the instant torque at any speed never gets old just like stomping on the gas in the Supra never got old.

I’m not a kool-aid person but there is so much just wrong info, misconceptions and hate and vitriol toward them and most of it is undeserved. It’s a good car company like any other car company. They ALL have there issues. But the world of the internet takes a small problem a few people have or a bad experience a couple people had and blows up into something massive And people start spouting off like they had the bad experience and they’ve never even owned one.

That is the power of the internet though. TO many negatives and not enough positives. I love ICE vehicles i’ve owned well over 100 of them and probably 100 motorcycles in my lifetime, I still own a Slingshot and Harley, why because I, like you love that experience too, but I also love the EV experience and that is ok, they can coexist in the same space and time. it’s ok to like them (it’s ok not to like them) but lets at least keep to some semblance of fact and your own experience not just what you read/watched/heard about it. I’m sure people have had bad experiences, with any vehicle and people have had good experiences. Usually the good outweighs the bad. Try to focus on the positives in life instead of shittin on everyone and everything.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
And you prove the point. Misinformed and spouting off shit you probably don’t know anything about. My family has owned several, for years, sold and traded and new. Everything you just said is either false or someones opinion.

Look you don’t like them that’s fine, easy don’t own one. But spouting off and repeating someone elses talking points you don’t really know about first hand is part of the problem with why Tesla gets such a bad rap (well besides Elon Musk is an asshole but he is a genius and they are usually strange birds).

Losing value: False: No better or worse than any regular ICE car. My MP3 held it’s value just fine, I traded it in on my Model Y and got great money for it. No better or worse than any ICE car i’ve owned and traded or sold.

Build Quality - New vehicle launch issues aside the quality of the current Model 3/Y/S/X is really good. I’ve had no warranty issues with any of my cars and the body panels line up no better/worse than any other car i’ve owned including Mercedes, Lincoln, Ford and others. Considering Tesla has only been around for 20 yrs‘ish and the other OEM’s have been around for a 100 and Tesla’s quality is definitely on par with them I’d say that’s a f*ck’n win for Tesla. They do it just as well as everyone else does it. No Better but No Worse

For every bad video about a Tesla you find I can find 10x on other OEM’s, I just watched throttle house talking about the orange peel in a 150k Mercedes it was soooo bad. I think it was the outgoing AMG Coupe convertible.

“there a 1 trick pony” - No. Just No. But lets evaluate that for a minute. How many tricks does a car actually have? A car is a car they all have the same tricks. They go forward or they turn oh and they stop. Telsa does all of those very well. So technically all cars are really 3 trick ponies. Again it’s a fuel alternative not a f*ckin alien spaceship they all do the same thing and Tesla happens to do it faster then a lot of others. Which is funny because they can’t beat it they have to disparage it. Sorry the instant torque at any speed never gets old just like stomping on the gas in the Supra never got old.

I’m not a kool-aid person but there is so much just wrong info, misconceptions and hate and vitriol toward them and most of it is undeserved. It’s a good car company like any other car company. They ALL have there issues. But the world of the internet takes a small problem a few people have or a bad experience a couple people had and blows up into something massive And people start spouting off like they had the bad experience and they’ve never even owned one.

That is the power of the internet though. TO many negatives and not enough positives. I love ICE vehicles i’ve owned well over 100 of them and probably 100 motorcycles in my lifetime, I still own a Slingshot and Harley, why because I, like you love that experience too, but I also love the EV experience and that is ok, they can coexist in the same space and time. it’s ok to like them (it’s ok not to like them) but lets at least keep to some semblance of fact and your own experience not just what you read/watched/heard about it. I’m sure people have had bad experiences, with any vehicle and people have had good experiences. Usually the good outweighs the bad. Try to focus on the positives in life instead of shittin on everyone and everything.
Yeah, I'm with this guy.

Vertex

First Name
Vertex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Supra Matte Storm Gray
Yes, agreed. It's an unbelievably comfortable commute to and from work with minimal hassle around maintenance, for those that just want to get to work and back without thinking about 'car.' Because most people don't give a fuck and they just want to get to work so they can do whatever their bullshit job is.

It's honestly a great trick, and why we had one for so long for my wife. I'd buy another.
I will say that it seems like more and more people should be driving all electric. As of yesterday I've seen my 5th or 6th customer in here with a new enough vehicle that it is still in new vehicle warranty and they were not changing oil periodically enough or AT ALL. Forester came in yesterday with 23xxx never changed oil as far as we can tell since it still has the black factory filter on it.

I just don't get it :dunno::doh:

OP
OP
Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
The reason why so many different types of vehicles exist is everyone has a different need or want and that is totally OK, choice is great. What works for one doesn’t work for another either functionally or emotionally. We are all different with different opinions and that is OK too.

My wife, hates getting gas, doesn’t do maintenance (thank the universe I do) and just wants to get in, be comfortable and get where she needs to go listening to her audiobooks with the least amount of stress possible. On many days I feel the same way. I have a 70 mile round trip commute and hers is about 55 miles. Most days we just want to destress from the day or not get stressed on the way to. For us a Tesla just fits that priority. Low maintenance, low stress, don’t have to stop for gas or go for oil changes and it’s a comfortable place to be. Is it Maybach or Rolls nice, No, is it high quality say top line Ford or GM or Toyota nice, yeah it is. Comfy, quiet, spacious and fairly well put together. No creaks or rattles (Supra had plenty of those).

I enjoy my Slingshot to when I want open air, smoke a cigar, shift’n gears, wind in your hair and some attitude and a bit of wheel spinning hooliganism its awesome. The Harley just makes this nice sweet thumpin sound when cruising that just lowers my blood pressure a few points while I watch the backroads go by.

Choice is great. ICE is great. EV’s are great. It’s a great time to be alive and experience all this choices.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I like my electric car. Yes its boring, ugly and slow but it cost me virtually nothing to drive it and I drive a ton. When I say it cost me nothing, last months electricity bill was a $75 credit and I only charge from home. It gets me from point A to point B, which is the same as any ICE car.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My wife, hates getting gas, doesn’t do maintenance (thank the universe I do) and just wants to get in, be comfortable and get where she needs to go listening to her audiobooks with the least amount of stress possible.
There's something like 280 million registered cars in the US. I'd be willing to be something like 80-85% (220 million of those) of owned by people just like this.

Most people don't give a fuck.

DEupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 RX-8, '23 BRZ, '24 3.0 MT
This all sounds like an automatic transmission owner's conundrum. :stirthepot:

EVs are great daily’s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phantomx

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
There's something like 280 million registered cars in the US. I'd be willing to be something like 80-85% (220 million of those) of owned by people just like this.

Most people don't give a fuck.
Yup and there is nothing wrong with that. I would add safety as well. The Model Y is one of the safest vehicles on the road. 5 Star rating All the way around. Hell a guy drove one off a cliff with his family in it and they all survived. Crazy. As we get older that kinda stuff matters too and people are just getting crazier out there.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra

Yeah, whatever. Your Supra is gone, to me it reads like you're trying to justify your wrong decision. Have fun "commuting". Don't forget to register for a "NO GAS" or "GR8 MPG" plate 🤣
Tell the Tesla forum there's a sale on Crocs at Target 😛
Sponsored