Supra drawbacks

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
I had a 2020 M2 Competition after my last Supra, with around 10k miles on it. Spent a few months driving it, and honestly loved it. If you're trading over rattles, you're going to be severely disappointed.

The difference is, now you'll also have to worry about spinning your crank hub. Repairing it if it happens, or installing the correct fix cost about the same - around $4-5k.

Now, that said - the M2 Comp was an absolute riot compared to the Supra, especially if it's cold out. You are NOT making a turn from a stop sign without spinning a wheel if it's cold out, period. Between the diff locking up a bit easier due to thicker fluid, and the cold summer tires, it's drift-city. Shifts can be positively brutal - usually in a good way. It's not quite as quick (to 60mph) as the Supra, and it doesn't hold as many G's on the skidpad according to Car & Driver, but if it's a track car you're after, you're in for a treat. It has a pretty decent duality about it, honestly.

Again, though - if build quality, rattles, etc. are your primary concerns, you'd better stick with the Supra!
I am mostly trading for a manual, 7600 RPM redline, and "linear" power band. I was given the opportunity to test drive a M2C; needless to say, I was blown away by it.

I am also considering a ZL1 Camaro, but I am hesitant because 3900lbs is not a small amount.
Sponsored

Insomniac

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra Premium GR
Also not a 350, sold my mach 1 for a mkv. The interior and ride quality is night and day, no regrets, couldn't be happier. Drawback for me is the steering wheel, overall steering feel. Not a deal-breaker obviously, and I've heard changing the wheel make a huge difference.

I thought going from 6 spd tremec to the auto was gonna be heartbreaking but the auto is soooo nice and I'm considering pulling my deposit for a 23mt, im genuinely having an internal crisis because I think the auto might be more fun for me.
I have to say, in my opinion, this ZF8 makes an ass out of the Mustang A10.

Richard

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
Hey folks,

Current GT350 owner over here thinking of making the switch over to the supra. I was just wondering whether you guys have ran into ā€œcommonā€ issues with the supra? The car will mostly serve as weekends and hpde track days ride.

Common problems Iran into with the GT350 are: sagging rear bumper, squeaks/rattles (car only has 18K on odometer), panel misalignments, and replacing the starter motor twice due to heat soak. I never had the dreaded oil consumption issue, but have had engine wiring break due to excessive shaking of the motor (Iā€™m actually worried the car is going to vibrate/shake itself to death due to the voodoo motor)

Any issues I should be on the look out for? PS other than wheels and tires, I plan on keeping the car stock
Have you had your engine mounts checked/replaced? I had to do that twice with a Volvo sedan I owned years ago.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
No real issues here.

A creak or two from the cross bar area & the stereo is less than stellar for advertising 300 watts (subs rattle - even with suggested settings).

The car has so many other positives to me ā€¦ thus allows me to overlook these minor concerns.

An amazing car!

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The Voodoo engine is known for literally vibrating cars to pieces.
im not part of the C8 pages anymore, but I read a couple times the Z06 is doing the same thing pretty bad.. guess there is a reason most FPC engines are smaller displacements

OP
OP

REDLINE

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT350
The Voodoo engine is known for literally vibrating cars to pieces.
Yeah. This is what Iā€™m afraid off. Hence my thinking of selling it while everything is still working. Love the voodoo, but fear how long the car will actually remain intact.

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
Yeah, the car rattles alot, even brand new which is kinda a letdown build quality wise. But since I really hate rattles I've managed get rid of pretty much all of them (the sub rattle for instance, can be removed by putting some foam infront of the subs)

Although I must say the rattle wasnt heard when the cars was stock, but when its stock its dead quiet and boring.
After installing my new axle back and removing the OPF there's alot more sound in the cabin. And that engine sound is easily worth having to deal with some rattles. šŸ˜

I daily mine I and absolutely love it.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
You should find a new dealer to work with. I just had my 21' engine rebuilt because of excessive consumption. New pistons and rings.
Iā€™m glad you went through contacting the dealership I remember when you were on the fence about talking to them!

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Reading all these post about rattles, I feel like I need to get my hearing checked. Disclaimer: Iā€™ve only been driving her a week, no mods yet (all on order), itā€™s a 2022, and only around town drivingā€¦ but just feels so incredibly solid - like a BMW (not a drawback to me). Iā€™ve had tons of other cars and couldnā€™t be happier with this purchase. Let the good times roll šŸ¤™šŸ¼

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
No major issues but some annoyances.. The wind buffeting is the most notable but several aftermarket options available. Interior rattles seem pretty common and I have two intermittent - drivers side door panel and the passenger seat when not occupied. The 2021 oil consumption thing is wayyy overblown, IMO. A small subset of cars actually affected. The horn is indeed embarrassing.

For HPDE I would highly recommend upgrading the front lower control arms. The OEM part is made of putty and I bent one in the most innocuous encounter with a rumble strip and the same thing happened to my instructor with a MKV. Otherwise I've run multiple 20 min sessions in 90Ā° heat with zero issues.

I will say the absolute worst part about this car is not the car itself but the dealers who will do anything to avoid having to work on it.
Slightly off topic: is this what you recommend APH?

https://speedindustry.com/spl-adjustable-front-lower-control-arms-a90-mkv-supra-gr-2020

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
Reading all these post about rattles, I feel like I need to get my hearing checked. Disclaimer: Iā€™ve only been driving her a week, no mods yet (all on order), itā€™s a 2022, and only around town drivingā€¦ but just feels so incredibly solid - like a BMW (not a drawback to me). Iā€™ve had tons of other cars and couldnā€™t be happier with this purchase. Let the good times roll šŸ¤™šŸ¼
Like I said, when the car was stock I never really heard any rattles (except the subwoofer rattle). But when you start to mod the exhaust system you'll invite some rattles. Some people say that the 2022 is more solid than the 2020, but I don't know if there's any truth to that.

Hopefully you will never hear them.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Yea I am constantly amazed by the great gas mileage the car gets. I could care less since I don't daily it but I am still amazed by the mpg it gets to/from track events.
Clicked off a mid 9 second pass last night at the track, got 18mpg home on Ignite Red/E90. Car is unreal with gas mileage.
Sponsored