Supra drawbacks

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I'm averaging ~7 MPG on the road course. :beer:

That aside, mileage during regular driving is phenomenal -- better than all of my other cars by an order of magnitude. I was still getting ~30 with the E40 mix. Too bad I don't GAF.. šŸ¤”

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Yeah. This is what Iā€™m afraid off. Hence my thinking of selling it while everything is still working. Love the voodoo, but fear how long the car will actually remain intact.
The nut on my output shaft came loose so I couldn't use cruise control, got warning lights, etc. Hated it. I took it into the dealership three or four times before they were able to replicate the problem and admit there was an issue. This is with me taking in the service bulletin and a ton of testimonials from others having the same problem.

Reading all these post about rattles, I feel like I need to get my hearing checked. Disclaimer: Iā€™ve only been driving her a week, no mods yet (all on order), itā€™s a 2022, and only around town drivingā€¦ but just feels so incredibly solid - like a BMW (not a drawback to me). Iā€™ve had tons of other cars and couldnā€™t be happier with this purchase. Let the good times roll šŸ¤™šŸ¼
Admittedly, my car is 100% stock. I don't notice any rattles or squeaks, either. So far, so good.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Only rattle I have had so far was the bezel around the gauge cluster. More so when it was cold out. It annoyed the F out of me. I just stuck some padding between the bezel and the upper dash and it fixed 90% of it.

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
For me it goes like this ( 2020 related)
Horrible rattles and buzzing, but also probably something to do with stiffer ride and louder exhaust I put on the car (so kinda my fault, but I heard 2021+ is much more solid)

Horrible sound system
Meh stock steering wheel(easy fix)
No exterior trunk release button is super annoying
No rear DRL's on from factory (easy fix)
Fake sound is meh( easy fix)

that is pretty much it that really bothers or bothered me, besides that it is an awesome car, even mostly stock( how I've driven last few days after reverting) Hopefully my 23 arriving next week fix's some of these issues (mainly the rattles)
Weird you have that with a little tuning the sound system is pretty good versus some of the other stock sound systems

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
I have a plastic like rattle that seems to come from my lower left seat but only if Iā€™m in it and driving when going over tight, small undulations.

driving me nuts, and canā€™t for the life of figure out what is exactly causing it.

ApexMissingApe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra (sold), BMW M550i, G8 GXP
Iā€™ve got some rattles, more than I expected from BMW but about the same as on some other mid-priced sports cars.

itā€™s crazy how low some of the MPG figures Iā€™m seeing out there are. I have great efficiency, and thatā€™s including daily blasts well into triple digits speeds. Are you guys all stuck in LA traffic and flooring it each time the car ahead of you moves??

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
I drive a 21 I bought 1 year old as a lease w/ 11k miles

Drivers seat heater turns off after a few seconds most of the time
Diff had seeped / breathed fluid once wh ich led the dealer and a shop to say it was /actively leaking/ when it wasn't
Front suspension dust covers have come off
High pitched whining sound when the car is applying brake pressure while moving or stationary
Passenger window switch sticks if you press it all the way down to "auto open"

All small issues, but sad for a 21 car, at some point I'll have it all fixed under warranty but right now I don't want to give up the car for 1-2 months

Trunk would often close itself after closing a door, fixed by putting stronger springs and struts on

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Funny. I went the opposite route. My 350R just didn't do it for me.
Yeah, I hear ya. Here's my thing, though. I am at a point with the Supra where I either need to make it a "track car" or leave it a car that I drive on the track. I enjoy it so much I want to keep it the latter. I really, really like this generation of Mustang, and honestly, I want a piece of the RWD V8 sports car before they're gone, which seems like is happen right now. Mustangs are fun. Relatively inexpensive to make fast. And the 350 is already a solid car. The thing is going to get enough abuse as a track car that I don't care if the rear bumper is sagging. I don't care if the interior squeaks because it won't have one. Etc. No they aren't the fastest thing out there, but somewhere, in some series, they find a competitive place. Just a matter of building it to those specs.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Yeah, I hear ya. Here's my thing, though. I am at a point with the Supra where I either need to make it a "track car" or leave it a car that I drive on the track. I enjoy it so much I want to keep it the latter. I really, really like this generation of Mustang, and honestly, I want a piece of the RWD V8 sports car before they're gone, which seems like is happen right now. Mustangs are fun. Relatively inexpensive to make fast. And the 350 is already a solid car. The thing is going to get enough abuse as a track car that I don't care if the rear bumper is sagging. I don't care if the interior squeaks because it won't have one. Etc. No they aren't the fastest thing out there, but somewhere, in some series, they find a competitive place. Just a matter of building it to those specs.
Either the R or Supra were bought to replace my current track car. So, either is getting trailered to the track and occasionally driven on the street. Maybe.
The R was fun and I really liked having, in my opinion, one of the best and last NA V8s avail.
I just didn't feel comfortable in the R. I didn't love it enough to dump $$$ into it, so sold it. I was a bit sad, but....
After I test drove the Supra, I was pretty much sold on it. I really like how it drives. I feel a little more confident beating on it at the racetrack than I did the mustang. That part is just personal preference, of course. I'm sure the Mustang would do just great.
I miss the mustangs brakes. The supra has a ton more torque..
I could go on, but it's mostly subjective information.

Last edited:

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
No real issues so far on my 21. Buy it. Send it.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
Software cleared any issues like the fake motor noise. I use an SD card for the sound system, with higher resolution files, and it isn't bad at all.

No other issues, milage on the road around 33 MPG, town, around 22. The one thing I don't like is that when I hit the throttle hard, the front floats, a known issue but live with it. Great car, tight, no rattles or squeaks.

SpeedRacer

First Name
AP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Software cleared any issues like the fake motor noise. I use an SD card for the sound system, with higher resolution files, and it isn't bad at all.

No other issues, milage on the road around 33 MPG, town, around 22. The one thing I don't like is that when I hit the throttle hard, the front floats, a known issue but live with it. Great car, tight, no rattles or squeaks.
My 2021 used to feel twitchy and like the front floated + pulled slightly to one side under WOT

I assumed that was just how Supras drove until it was sorted by the local Supra tech (he said the alignment was way off from factory).

Now it feels planted at speed and when accelerating.