Take a look at the interior of the 2020 Supra

How many stars would you give Toyota on the interior? (1 being lowest & 5 being highest.)

• Total voters

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
Yup, and even then, that's the basic ZF shifter, not even a BMW part. The Alfas, Maseratis, etc with ZF trans' all have similar shifters.
Shhhh... you can't let the Dodge Demon boys know they using a "bMw" PaRtS bIn product...
Sponsored

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
Honestly, the only thing giving it the BMW vibe is the shifter. Everything else is just like any other car interior.
Shifter and iDrive. And infotainment UI.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
Shifter and iDrive. And infotainment UI.
I never owned a BMW so I don't know what iDrive is other than what I read on this forum. If I would guess it's the Software? but from your post it sounds like the infotainment and iDrive are different so now I'm even more confused. If you're talking about the knob next to the shifter, almost every Lexus has a round knob along with countless others from other manufacturers.

The UI is generic, again, I never owned a BMW so I wouldn't know. I just see pictures of them online and at showrooms. If you didn't know what you're looking for (BMW similarities) or drove a BMW recently you wouldn't notice.

I wish Toyota would cover their logo and shift knob and sit random people in it and let them guess what brand the car is. Sadly, It would most probably be a fake experiment like the Chevy ones lol.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
I never owned a BMW so I don't know what iDrive is other than what I read on this forum. If I would guess it's the Software? but from your post it sounds like the infotainment and iDrive are different so now I'm even more confused. If you're talking about the knob next to the shifter, almost every Lexus has a round knob along with countless others from other manufacturers.

The UI is generic, again, I never owned a BMW so I wouldn't know. I just see pictures of them online and at showrooms. If you didn't know what you're looking for (BMW similarities) or drove a BMW recently you wouldn't notice.

I wish Toyota would cover their logo and shift knob and sit random people in it and let them guess what brand the car is. Sadly, It would most probably be a fake experiment like the Chevy ones lol.
The iDrive is the knob on the center console that controls various things on the infotainment system. Radio, nav, communication, vehicle settings, etc. It's found on every single BMW and has been there for a very long time now. Yeah every other manufacturer has it since pretty much everyone copied BMW when they first came out with it back then but the problem here is that the Supra is 100% BMW right down to the button layout. I wish they would have gone more original with it. Hell even throw on a Lexus knob in there. The UI of switching through the screens on the screen itself is very BMW. Yes if you have never owned or sat in a BMW you wouldn't notice these things.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
The iDrive is the knob on the center console that controls various things on the infotainment system. Radio, nav, communication, vehicle settings, etc. It's found on every single BMW and has been there for a very long time now. Yeah every other manufacturer has it since pretty much everyone copied BMW when they first came out with it back then but the problem here is that the Supra is 100% BMW right down to the button layout. I wish they would have gone more original with it. Hell even throw on a Lexus knob in there. The UI of switching through the screens on the screen itself is very BMW. Yes if you have never owned or sat in a BMW you wouldn't notice these things.
Ok, but lets be honest here. The Lexus systems are pretty garbage. I have never used any of the pads or mice and found them intuitive. The iDrive system is arguably a lot easier to use. Not to mention the fact that it is more responsive.

Last edited:

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Ok, but lets be honest here. The Lexus systems are pretty garbage. I have never use any of the pads or mice and found them intuitive. The iDrive system is arguably a lot easier to use. Not to mention the fact that it is more responsive.
The trackpad once you get used to it is great. However, BMW's iDrive is by far the best infotainment system in the entire car industry. Which is why I am in love with the interior as well (maybe the buttons and switches could have been Toyota). I have played and used it and I could not get my hands off that system. I can't believe I'm saying this but it was "fun"? Whenever the opportunity came I piloted the system. Absolutely knock out of the park. Toyota should use iDrive and Lexus can keep improving on their trackpad. They've spent too much on it to really go back now, they have to evolve it to make it as good as Mercedes-Benz Command system or Audi's MMI.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: