OP
OP
AndyK5

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
It quickly becomes second nature how to get in/out of the car with the seat. Even guys with higher lower side bolsters like the OMP WRC-R (which, btw I am probably upgrading to this winter) don't need a removable wheel.

When you go to a halo seat is when you *should* have a removable wheel so you can get out of the car easier in an emergency.

That said, you can still get in/out with the oem wheel with a halo seat.
Why is WRC-R an upgrade to Sparco Evo?

I have issues with my neck bending thru turns and looking at the track literally sideways until I manage to straighten it. Strong neck is clearly the answer here but would Halo seat help with that?
Is it super hard to drive the car on the streets with Halo seat?
Can I get some support from a HANS device if Halo seat in a street car is a bad idea?
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra

I have issues with my neck bending thru turns and looking at the track literally sideways until I manage to straighten it. Strong neck is clearly the answer here but would Halo seat help with that?
Can I get some support from a HANS device if Halo seat in a street car is a bad idea?
Wait. You can't hold your head up? Are you driving formula 1? 60lb helmet? WTF? šŸ¤£

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.

WRC-R has much higher lower side bolsters and a bit more upper shoulder support. I've gotten to the point with aero and lateral grip that my back gets very sore after track days as I find myself tensing my back up to keep me upright. That said, I am super out of shape and have like zero core strength, however, a seat should be doing it's job at containment, not just my core strength. ;)

For me, the WRC-R also seems a bit more comfy and I'm a old man now so that is a plus. The Sparco isn't horrible but I start feeling it if I drive more than 2.5 hrs in it.

HANS is to protect your neck from quick forward snaps, like running head-on into something. It doesn't save you from side to side. That is what Halo seats do.

A halo seat very much limits your side to side vision, especially in the close quarters of the Supra. It also depends on the shape and size of the Halo. @garudathree has a OMP Halo seat in his Supra and he is just crazy enough to drive it on the street. I am sure he can chime in with his experience. :)

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
A halo seat very much limits your side to side vision, especially in the close quarters of the Supra. It also depends on the shape and size of the Halo. @garudathree has a OMP Halo seat in his Supra and he is just crazy enough to drive it on the street. I am sure he can chime in with his experience. :)
Yes depends on the type of halo seat. I'm running the OMP HRC, used in the factory GT4. I sat in it at the shop to test, vs relying on internet folklore, and am tall enough to look over the side head bumpers, and have no blindspot outside of the car as a result of it. I can't see a bunch of things in the passenger half of the cabin, but mirrors are fine.

You'll still want to custom fit some cushion inserts with FR foam, at least for lumbar.

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
Iā€™m curious as to why some of you say driving a car with a roll cage without a helmet is dangerous. Sorry, Iā€™m new to all of this but I am curious because some cars come with a cage from factory (I.e. some 911ā€™s). At some point Iā€™d love to do a red roll cage in my black Supra and maybe even a set of recaro podiums but my car is a street car that I definitely would drive on the street without a helmet. Why would this be a bad idea? Again sorry, I just want to learn!

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Iā€™m curious as to why some of you say driving a car with a roll cage without a helmet is dangerous. Sorry, Iā€™m new to all of this but I am curious because some cars come with a cage from factory (I.e. some 911ā€™s). At some point Iā€™d love to do a red roll cage in my black Supra and maybe even a set of recaro podiums but my car is a street car that I definitely would drive on the street without a helmet. Why would this be a bad idea? Again sorry, I just want to learn!
Roll cage and roll bar are very different things. A proper street roll bar which is the back half of the car would be far enough away from the driver/passenger to never come in contact, yet still work in a rollover.

A roll cage on the street that comes into the front of the cabin is a death sentence on the street. There is 100% chance of making contact in even a minor collision and if you have ever cracked an egg on a side of a bowl, then you can imagine the outcome without a helmet.

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
Roll cage and roll bar are very different things. A proper street roll bar which is the back half of the car would be far enough away from the driver/passenger to never come in contact, yet still work in a rollover.

A roll cage on the street that comes into the front of the cabin is a death sentence on the street. There is 100% chance of making contact in even a minor collision and if you have ever cracked an egg on a side of a bowl, then you can imagine the outcome without a helmet.
Bryan! Thank you for the explanation! I have been incorrectly referring to roll bars as roll cages! Thank you for clarifying the difference between the two! So a roll bar like something that comes from the factory on some Porsches or something for our cars like from Studio RSR thatā€™s behind the seats only wouldnā€™t be an issue!

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
So a roll bar like something that comes from the factory on some Porsches or something for our cars like from Studio RSR thatā€™s behind the seats only wouldnā€™t be an issue!
Depends on how close they are. Some people put roll bar high density padding on things that might be a possibility.

Also, you cannot get a roll bar in a Porsche in the USA. You have to purchase it aftermarket. In Europe you can. Different laws.

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra - Gridlife StreetMod #29, '23 B48 Supra
LOL. Not by themselves but I did weigh the seat + 6pt harness + side mounts + 6pt bar + Oem seat belt buckle.

Sparco Evo QRT is advertised at 15.5lbs itself
Hmm, interesting. Subtracting out the weights of everything, the BK does seem to be in the 4.5-5.5lb range. Nice.

neverknowsbest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
It quickly becomes second nature how to get in/out of the car with the seat. Even guys with higher lower side bolsters like the OMP WRC-R (which, btw I am probably upgrading to this winter) don't need a removable wheel.

When you go to a halo seat is when you *should* have a removable wheel so you can get out of the car easier in an emergency.

That said, you can still get in/out with the oem wheel with a halo seat.
Copied your seat rail setup, but with the OMP WRC-R as my seat. I'm 6'2" and can confirm no need to for removable wheel, more than enough room to work with.

Nugs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G81 M3 Touring, 2019 Supra GTS
I ran these Halo seats in a previous car, periphereal vision was compromised but there was still some at least.

0001610_velo-viper-xl.jpg

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
I'll weigh in since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, I am running a recaro Pole Position with Macht Schnell brackets/sliders, and a seat belt extender. I haven't installed a harness yet since I don't really trust the cusco bar and I haven't heard of too many people running the USR bar. More than likely I'll just wait til I can put a proper roll-bar in.

For me personally (5'9", 165lbs, broader shoulders) its incredibly comfy and not too difficult to get in and out of. I also have a small $10 amazon inflatable lumbar pillow that works like a charm! That being said, if you're any taller I'd really sit in one and see how the shoulder harness holes line up. I've read that those with longer torsos/taller don't have their shoulders quite line up with the holes. There is another Pole Position called the ABE which is a tad bigger and easier to get in and out of and supports taller people as well. And as an added bonus, you can use the stock seat belt receptical as there is a cutout in the seat for it.
Sponsored