Tempted to sell my car

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Downshift Blue Supra
The whole used car price going through the roof has me tempted to sell my car.

I checked the value on Vroom and they’re offering what I paid for it. It‘s like driving the car for free for a year.

Anyone else checking the value of their car and thinking about selling?
Sponsored

Last edited:

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
This sounds like the housing market increases when people are tempted to sell - still need a place to live.

If you have another car great, but if not you are subject to the same high prices.

If you plan to sell then now would be a great time. If no, I would think about it if you need a replacement.

OP
OP

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This sounds like the housing market increases when people are tempted to sell - still need a place to live.

If you have another car great, but if not you are subject to the same high prices.

If you plan to sell then now would be a great time. If no, I would think about it if you need a replacement.
All good points. I’ve been working remote since the pandemic started and will probably go into the office no more than a couple times a week starting in July. There’s another car in the family and it would be only a minor inconvenience to share for a little while if needed.

There are three pig nosed sport sedans that share DNA with this car that have been sitting on a dealer lot near me and I’m pretty sure I could score a bit of a deal on one of those, which makes this even more tempting.

wonderbr34d

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 2.0
The whole used car price going through the roof has me tempted to sell my car.

I checked the value on Vroom and they’re offering what I paid for it. It‘s like driving the car for free for a year.

Anyone else checking the value of their car and thinking about selling?
Been thinking about it as well. Was surprised my c-class is only 4k less than I paid for it 2 years ago. Waiting for MY22 announcement and then will either sell for MY21 or stick it out for whatever delays the 22 will have

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
How reliable is this Vroom? I filled it out, gave me nice pricing as well, but says they get the car and deliver payment in 2-3 days where I'll have 0 trace of whomever they are.

OP
OP

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How reliable is this Vroom? I filled it out, gave me nice pricing as well, but says they get the car and deliver payment in 2-3 days where I'll have 0 trace of whomever they are.
I know some guys at my job that have sold to them, and apparently (take this with a grain of salt) some guys on the Corvette forum (scary place) have allegedly used them.

KBB and Carvana aren’t too far behind in price.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I sold my MK7 Golf to them. Was smooth and hassle-free for the most part.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
I don’t know about selling a car to Vroom, but I’d never buy one from them based on what Roman from TFL went through.

melz7688

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nike Airs
In anticipation of getting my 21 3.0 Prem, I recently sold my 17 Si to CarMax. Got offers from all the usual suspects - Carvana, AutoNation and Vroom. The CarMax offer was about $3,500 more than the rest. I think CarMax lost its mind. I got 1,600 more than I paid for the car 3.5 years ago. The Si had under 10k miles and I think CarMax sold it within a week.

The process was easy and took about 1.5 hours. Also got paid the same day which the AutoNation guy was surprised that CarMax cut a check right there. Not sure I am willing to sign over a title and waiting a couple of days to get paid.

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2021 GR Supra
I'd say if you're already thinking about selling it then you might as well especially if the market is in favor of used cars. I sold mines a few months ago because I lost interest in the Supra and it had a few small issues that became annoying after a while.

If you ever want another Supra there will be plenty of GR Supras you can buy new or used. The car isn't that rare.

Katniss2020

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR, 1961 C10 Apache, 1972 Chrysler New Yorker Wagon
Hang on to it, it’s only going to get better. Used car prices are sky rocketing because half of the new car plants are shut down due to the microchip shortage. Play the market right and you could make a small fortune. Bad part is you will get hit with a premium on the new car as well since demand is there but supply is short.

xinlee

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I’m going to share my experience selling my MY20 3.0 Premium. I listed it on Autotrader and cars.com sometime Sept/Oct of 2020 at $47500. It was on the sites for over 3 months and not a single serious buyer. A few hits with lowball offers (you know, the private parties that offer $, but don’t actually take an effort to see the car). Bunch of online tire kickers. I did submit online quotes to many sites. Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, and GivemetheVIN. Carvana came in the highest of the offers, but still wasn’t near my asking, but they were also at least $2k above everyone else. Fast forward to May of 2021 and as the dealership lots are shrinking in inventory, used car price offers were increasing. Early part of 2021, I wasn’t so focused on selling. So I resubmit for offers from Carvana and their offer was $48600. I was excited and did everything asked for and was even setup for them to pickup the car that Thursday evening. Well, on Wednesday evening, I decided to resubmit for an offer from Carmax, and their offer came in at $49400. I just sold it to Carmax that very next day. My advice is to keep resubmitting for offers from the same/more companies cause you never know who might offer you more at different times.
Sponsored