superd6199

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra Edition, RC-F, CT200h F-Sport, GS350 F-Sport, Integra Type R
here the newest update with hks exhaust too
pretty cool IMO but I’d go with a different blowoff. Much props for making it work.
Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
The hks can change sound depending which insert you run.

turbopk

First Name
Pk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 ford edge(DD)
The hks can change sound depending which insert you run.
Video of it sounding different? Cause every car I have ever heard it on sounds the same.

Probaholic1

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2015 Fiesta ST, 2005 Audi A4b6 2.7
This is kinda cool, I kinda like the sound but if we can do the HKS i'd go with the TurboXS RFL that was my jam. lol. Doesn't seem difficult enough if all things considered and doesn't hinder performance based on the type of Air Intake sensor (or whatever it's called). I should try and fab something up.

clockwork

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
So what is the point of this for our Supras other than to be a glorified noisemaker?

Reactions: zrk

Probaholic1

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So what is the point of this for our Supras other than to be a glorified noisemaker?
Samething as an intake. Ideally the job of the BOV is to expel excess air as quickly as possible. Which idea should allow for better A/Rs and acceleration (being the major factors).

• Sad
Reactions: zrk

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Video of it sounding different? Cause every car I have ever heard it on sounds the same.
you can change inserts for a high pitched whistle type sound, or just an “exhale“ sound. All on youtube, i did it with my last One.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Samething as an intake. Ideally the job of the BOV is to expel excess air as quickly as possible. Which idea should allow for better A/Rs and acceleration (being the major factors).
the point of a BOV is to vent pressure on throttle close so you dont back stall the compressor and blow the turbo like the recent thread we had in reference.

on B58 motors, boost is vented by a combination of cyl deactivation, waste gate opening, and valvetronic/vanos overlap strategies to take energy off the turbine and bleed the air through the head and out the exhaust. There is no typical vacuum actuated vent to bleed pressure to the low pressure side of the intake unless you add one.

the problem is most tuners dont know how to do that, so as they apply strategies to load the wg and cam phasing differently to get quicker spool up (assuming they even know how to do that) they dont adjust valvetronic load delay protocols to get pressure out. Under even worse cases, theyll alter the wg opening and cyl deactivation to get spool quicker between gears, then youre really fucked.

adding a BOV allows you to safely keep the turbo spinning on shifts or on throttle off and allow it to keep some tension/velocity for rolling back in mid corner or on corner exit.

It also allows you to get away with having a shitty tune from a shitty tuner who makes sales from hero dyno pulls and smooth edit youtube reels if that’s your thing.

Last edited:

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
PREACH!!!!1

Probaholic1

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
the point of a BOV is to vent pressure on throttle close so you dont back stall the compressor and blow the turbo like the recent thread we had in reference.

on B58 motors, boost is vented by a combination of cyl deactivation, waste gate opening, and valvetronic/vanos overlap strategies to take energy off the turbine and bleed the air through the head and out the exhaust. There is no typical vacuum actuated vent to bleed pressure to the low pressure side of the intake unless you add one.

the problem is most tuners dont know how to do that, so as they apply strategies to load the wg and cam phasing differently to get quicker spool up (assuming they even know how to do that) they dont adjust valvetronic load delay protocols to get pressure out. Under even worse cases, theyll alter the wg opening and cyl deactivation to get spool quicker between gears, then youre really fucked.

adding a BOV allows you to safely keep the turbo spinning on shifts or on throttle off and allow it to keep some tension/velocity for rolling back in mid corner or on corner exit.

It also allows you to get away with having a shitty tune from a shitty tuner who makes sales from hero dyno pulls and smooth edit youtube reels if that’s your thing.
Thanks that makes sense, is that why B58 same extent to the B48 have pops on decel?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Thanks that makes sense, is that why B58 same extent to the B48 have pops on decel?
short answer, yes....in part, at least.

there are a number of reasons various cars with pop/backfire on decel. Sometimes its for #BecuzRacecar tuner sets throttle lift ignition towards the bottom of the stroke when the exhaust valve is opening; some cars do it as an antilag strategy; some cars have valve overlap from aggressive cam phasing combined with high fuel delivery will also crackle a bit on decel.

the cyl deact portion is why the supra sounds more ”pop”y than “crackle”y

phone

First Name
Tory
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phak.io
Car(s)
1993 Mazda Miata, 2016 MX-5, 2020 GR Supra
Vehicle Showcase
I’m adding a GReddy FV BOV to mine, getting the flange charge-pipe welded soon. I have the FV on my turbo Miata and love the sound...

When you tapped into that vacuum line what barb size is the tee? I ordered various sizes (1/2 to 1/4 and 1/4 to 1/8) I’m just curious.

edit - 5/29/21 I used a 1/2 to 1/4 tee on the vacuum line and it fits snug! did a test drive but need to adjust the bov preload, it’s too loose and not holding boost pressure. Looks great in the engine bay though!
24FF6D06-C547-4E51-894C-C07E4C0662DC.jpeg
84069E60-131E-4B8F-BD28-024DD4D1AB5B.jpeg
BB959A4D-BE4F-404F-8814-EC6BDFBFD3A6.jpeg

edit edit - bov is now adjusted how i like it. had to tighten nut on top so it held boost. video for noise. not too loud but still audible. also feels a little smoother shifting though lower gears. I'm happy with the install, even if it's just a noise machine lol GReddy FV BOV Noise

Last edited:

Nytrajin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger GT, GR Supra
Curious how everyone is hooking up a valve to that line, I've tried to hook up both a gfb response and an HKS ssqv to that line and they seem to just be permanently shut. I did log an average of 1.4 in/hg of vacuum on that line, the lowest vacuum I got was 3.2 in/hg.

SooopraSD

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2005 Titan, 1993 Civic, 2003 CBR600RR
Have a charge pipe on the way and going to have a flange welded on. Think I’m going to go with the Turbo Smart gen V race port bov. Going to use the VTT adapter to run the vacuum line.
53690B18-F60F-4AA8-80EF-D90B52212436.jpeg
Sponsored