The A70TTR Dedication Thread!

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
plenty of other cars actually, but that's the main benchmark.
Sponsored

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
all sold globally, but some were Euro in origin yes.

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
on the 6cyl flagship model at least, yes

93Siro

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z4
on the 6cyl flagship model at least, yes
What will be the other application of said engine? Being in the industry i can't see how the manufacturers justify the additional r&d cost for just the top tier model, this engine has to be used somewhere else to share the costs IMHO. On the BMW side, they invested heavily to make a modular engine platform for B38, B48, B58 and their diesel variants to share the parts; it would be interesting to see if they actually accept the new changes and apply them throughout their line up of engines. Their diesel lineup has abandoned the iron block and also the S58 is going to be really close to a regular B series engine to keep the costs down (sadly the days of true M sport engines are over). Maybe Toyota is going to use the engine somewhere else and eat the costs?

I'm interested to hear your opinion on this subject.

Thanks

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was told BMW will be using improvements made by Toyota on their own engine lineup, but that's about as helpful as a statement as I received.

The more I have thought about it and studied the photographs leads me to conclude that the engine very well may be a B58 that remains modular while using a modified head and engine block. As to how BMW or Toyota may harness these in other platforms is unknown, but it is very unlikely Toyota will end up benefiting much from it other than the Supra being a performer where designed to be by Tada.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
the power level when I was there was said to be in the range of ~350hp, but that was just what I was told.

when I rode in the mule, it felt like a decent kick and that figure seemed about right from the seat dyno.

Guff originally asked me about it in PM, and I told him it felt about like a 300hp turbo 86 I rode in not long before that (as far accel).
Would that be BHP or WHP?

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CHP/BHP (manufacturer rating)

Last edited:

tha7osavage

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
A70, are you privy to anything regarding the HUD? Not sure if it was being utilized during your test run in the mule, or if you’re even able to speak to it. The render below shows what it could potentially display in the Z4. I’m assuming the Supra’s will be similar?

-bmw-z4-m40i-revealed-pictures%232&pref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&xtz=300&jv=13.8.3&bv=2.5.jpg

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Beyond my knowledge or expertise unfortunately. I was aware of its existence and some of the general parameters (anyone could guess), but that's about it.

tha7osavage

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
Beyond my knowledge or expertise unfortunately. I was aware of its existence and some of the general parameters (anyone could guess), but that's about it.
Gotcha. I figured there’s not much to it. Just found it funny that in the Z4 render they have their map on the Infotainment system, the virtual cockpit, AND the HUD. There are zero excuses for getting lost with all that help hahah :rolleyes1:

Thanks for answering.

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
I would imagine its a lot like the HUD in the current M3/M4 (info and layout wise) with upgraded colors / graphics. (if its being sources from bmw)

This would mean speed, speed limit, direction, then depending on display choices (navigation turns would appear as a voice command or direction change is coming up, when changing or scrolling through songs the song list of previous / next songs will appear in the hud, phone contacts would show up in the hud if you were scrolling through that etc. Also ofcourse the "sport mode" will have your tach (at least upper rpm band) and gear.

Bimyota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo, 1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
Given what you know about this car, do you or would you plan to buy one, personal finances permitting? Does it meet or exceed your own expectations?

In other words, will we see you at an owners' meet?

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was originally impressed with what the car was capable of and had a plan to buy one. As time went on, we started getting an influx of rumors (often incorrect) from the US side of the pond and I started to lose interest fast, but now that I'm aware of what many of the cars specs and capabilities are I am back in the mindset of wanting to pick one up.

The trouble for me is whether I want one in Japan or if I want a US model. I think I might buy one of the upgraded Japanese market cars (the 86 had a few of these and they were always better IMO, albeit more money).

that said, I have been debating on how to approach meets/gatherings, and it's a tough question because I'd like for people to know it's me for conversation purposes, but that could also pose a bit of a risk for several reasons. I might just have to be there as just another guy unfortunately, but there would likely be clues.
Sponsored