The A70TTR Dedication Thread!

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
3) Not sure honestly, but one of the BMW guys said that's likely going to be a thing. But maybe the next Supra is already being developed in-house as a hybrid :D
I haven't got anything on it that deep yet; as far as I'm aware it's only in the initial phase (what I like to call whiteboarding), where ideas are being thrown around. But it has been said it will be a Toyota design with little/no external assistance for the new one, so we'll see how that goes.
Can you ask if it will have a manual? ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Can't say that I'm shocked. Its not like Toyota hasn't thought about the idea before. But will it be done 100% in house? Not even leasing Mazda's new straight?
Yep, it's what they wanted originally and pulled the plug on, but to be fair the tech wasn't really where it needed to be back then.

Can you ask if it will have a manual? ;)
Possible but unlikely IMO. I was just talking with one of the systems engineers, and it's already a pain to integrate TSS with manual (radar cruise and lane tracing are unavailable iirc), and they're adding more soon that will take manual off the table permanently. And that's before we get to the hybrid part of the equation...

The future doesn't always bring the changes we want :(

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Possible but unlikely IMO. I was just talking with one of the systems engineers, and it's already a pain to integrate TSS with manual (radar cruise and lane tracing are unavailable iirc), and they're adding more soon that will take manual off the table permanently. And that's before we get to the hybrid part of the equation...

The future doesn't always bring the changes we want :(
I figured as much, but thought it was worth asking since Honda was able to offer the CR-Z with a MT.

download.png

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corolla offers ACC with a manual.
That's correct, I should clarify that the system is limited however in addition to the lack of lane tracing (the two are connected).

"Most TSS 2.0 models will feature Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control⁵, which is designed to allow low-speed following, speed matching, stopping, and acceleration/deceleration to a preceding vehicle. Manual transmission models receive DRCC instead of FullSpeed Range DRCC."

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
@A70TTR, according to the BMW guy, the Supra and Z4 will end production on 10/2025. Can you confirm this? If true, why such a short life cycle?

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
It is possible given discussions I've had with colleagues on the matter. It's sort of in the same situation as the late GS, but it's also the only smaller RWD sedan they have. Time will tell.

I haven't got anything on it that deep yet; as far as I'm aware it's only in the initial phase (what I like to call whiteboarding), where ideas are being thrown around. But it has been said it will be a Toyota design with little/no external assistance for the new one, so we'll see how that goes.
not even from Yamaha?

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ Those guys know far more than I do at this point, but to my understanding it was only going to run until 2025. Tada said early on that it was a fairly short run, and since then I've only seen production dates that line up with what you said (2025/26MY)

As to why, well :D

Thank you for this thread A70TTR :)
For sure! BTW, we are definitely still working with Mazda on some stuff, so keep your eyes peeled. I often say things that are meant to push folks into thinking out loud and by doing so they many times start to connect the dots of what is happening behind the scenes ;)

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
TNGA or CLAR?
I think I read Toyota said GA-L couldn't be shortened for the IS, so maybe perhaps GA-N which is used for the Crown and Mirai.

For sure! BTW, we are definitely still working with Mazda on some stuff, so keep your eyes peeled. I often say things that are meant to push folks into thinking out loud and by doing so they many times start to connect the dots of what is happening behind the scenes ;)
Sub 86 car and Miata replacement rumored by BestCar? :D

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
BTW, we are definitely still working with Mazda on some stuff, so keep your eyes peeled. I often say things that are meant to push folks into thinking out loud and by doing so they many times start to connect the dots of what is happening behind the scenes ;)
I other words, after the BMW A90 cycle ends, Mazda will power the A100.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I other words, after the BMW A90 cycle ends, Mazda will power the A100.
I was thinking this or possibly the next-gen IS powered by Mazda’s hybrid inline-six.

Mazda definitely has a reason to partner and share costs on their future RWD I6 coupe and sedan models, so there is that...

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Yep, it's what they wanted originally and pulled the plug on, but to be fair the tech wasn't really where it needed to be back then.
In the FTHS thread you said the following. So why not just restart the project instead of turning to BMW? It was reported that Tada started talking to the Germans around the same time period of said release date.

The FT-HS was slated to be the new Supra until the economy tanked. According to a few executives I've spoke with about this, it was already in development for production and would have been released sometime around 2011-2012 had the economy not failed. It was designed as 2+2, cockpit interior, and focused more on being a sports car than GT.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Do you have any information on the model that is supposed to sit between the RC and LC?