The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

F1nest11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Ren Red 2.0 Premium, 13 Nissan GT-R, 07 Honda Accord
Completely my opinion!

With the exception of a few MKIV owners, most I spoke with online came off as a tad "entitled" which might be a delivery issue. In-person they are great people, but again there were a couple who swore they were superstars and they didn't even have a clean example. This demeanor really made me hesitate to post anything on the forums back then.

Now from my perspective (MKIV owner looking at a MKV) I HATED this car up until I signed the papers. Sales guy was so confused HAHA! I didn't care about the BMWness about it. I knew BMW collab helped lower the cost of production so we can even get this car. My main pain points where: The length of the car, not offering a manual transmission, not a leader in anything.

Length of the car issue: The FT1 had glorious proportions that we all fell in love with. When they made the new supra smaller than the previous gen, it killed me. It was such a difference that I felt the car would not have a "road presence" comparable to the MKIV.

No Manual: First off I get auto sells better overall since its a wider demographic and I'm okay with it. My issue is if you aren't going to make a car that will give the GT-R a run for its money (Better braking, cornering, etc) then offer manual. Manual will offer an unworldly experience that ppl craved for. The Supra vs GTR rivalry is one like Nikki Luada and James Hunt, they both respect each other and push its counterpart to be better.

Not a Leader in anything: The previous MKIV Turbo was a breaking champion until this car called the Porsche Carrera GT beat it out. IMPRESSIVE! During the announcement, it's like they whispered, The MKV 0-60 in 4 seconds. I was genuinely impressed by that, but this car isn't a leader for anything. This is where it felt like they just did not care at all.

Ppl argue "Nobody would pay 80K for a Toyota". If they made an 80K Toyota that had the length and spoiler of the FT1 and could keep up with a GT3 on and off a track, then SIGN ME THE FUDGE UP!

All in all, to the MKIV vs MKV, both are fun cars but its time to let the MKIV go. The MKIV has nothing left to prove. MKIV owners need to give the MKV a chance instead of bashing it as I did.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Completely my opinion!

With the exception of a few MKIV owners, most I spoke with online came off as a tad "entitled" which might be a delivery issue. In-person they are great people, but again there were a couple who swore they were superstars and they didn't even have a clean example. This demeanor really made me hesitate to post anything on the forums back then.

Now from my perspective (MKIV owner looking at a MKV) I HATED this car up until I signed the papers. Sales guy was so confused HAHA! I didn't care about the BMWness about it. I knew BMW collab helped lower the cost of production so we can even get this car. My main pain points where: The length of the car, not offering a manual transmission, not a leader in anything.

Length of the car issue: The FT1 had glorious proportions that we all fell in love with. When they made the new supra smaller than the previous gen, it killed me. It was such a difference that I felt the road would not have a "road presence" comparable to the MKIV.

No Manual: First off I get auto sells better overall since its a wider demographic and I'm okay with it. My issue is if you aren't going to make a car that will give the GT-R a run for its money (Better braking, cornering, etc) then offer manual. Manual will offer an unworldly experience that ppl craved for. The Supra vs GTR rivalry is one like Nikki Luada and James Hunt, they both respect each other and push its counterpart to be better.

Not a Leader in anything: The previous MKIV Turbo was a breaking champion until this car called the Porsche Carrera GT beat it out. IMPRESSIVE! During the announced it's like they whispered, The MKV 0-60 in 4 seconds. I was genuinely impressed by that, but this car isn't a leader for anything. This is where it felt like they just did not care at all.

Ppl argue "Nobody would pay 80K for a Toyota". If they made an 80K Toyota that had the length and spoiler of the FT1 and could keep up with a GT3 on and off a track, then SIGN ME THE FUDGE UP!

All in all, to the MKIV vs MKV, both are fun cars but its time to let the MKIV go. The MKIV has nothing left to prove. MKIV owners need to give the MKV a chance instead of bashing it as I did.
Now THIS is an enthusiast! Respect.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of what happens with the MK5, I don't think the value of the MK4s will go down much. Simply because there aren't that many of them. Not always the case, but rarity = $$$.
This is a point of contention for myself. I never understood why the values are so inflated... I get prices around 20-30k, but any higher is pretty ridiculous. USDM cars will likely always be expensive due to limited quantities, but JDM cars are getting expensive too. This doesn't make much sense to me as they made quite a few JDM Supras.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
the JDM cars are only inflated because those who can't acquire LHD (most) buy RHD, but there still aren't a ton of RHD cars readily available stateside. I think RHD prices in general should drop however as more of them come into the country after hitting 25.

that said, I don't see LHD prices dropping much ever again...

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the JDM cars are only inflated because those who can't acquire LHD (most) buy RHD. RHD prices in general should drop however as more of them come into the country after hitting 25.

that said, I don't see LHD prices dropping much ever again.
I agree, but here's the thing, Supras are not "rare" in the grand scheme of things. There are several thousand TT's in the U.S. which is a decent amount of cars when compared to some of the production numbers of old Porsches and some 60's muscle cars.

F1nest11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Ren Red 2.0 Premium, 13 Nissan GT-R, 07 Honda Accord
This is a point of contention for myself. I never understood why the values are so inflated... I get prices around 20-30k, but any higher is pretty ridiculous. USDM cars will likely always be expensive due to limited quantities, but JDM cars are getting expensive too. This doesn't make much sense to me as they made quite a few JDM Supras.
JDM Cars are following the "Can't make a million if you don't ask for a million" rule. Most informed Supra buyers eventually figure out that RHD prices should not equal or surpass LHD prices. There are key things Supra buyers look for. A pristine lower mile NA, 5 speed, all original vins intact example should fetch MAX 35K. This is a sub 35k miles example. Once you hit 50-100k miles they should float at 28-30k. Then if high miles but the car is still super clean then 25k. A beat to hell, r154 swapped 200k on the body 50k on the engine, scuffed and seats teared example should not be priced at 30k. That's just my .02 cents

Some owners believe since a 1% example sold for 160k means their jolapy Supra goes up about 10k in value. That ain't chief

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
I think the prices on the JDM Supras are starting to climb because people from all around the world are importing them, not just the US. And out of the 31,575 JDM A80s how many have survived? Google Toyota Supra front cut :( :cry:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I agree, but here's the thing, Supras are not "rare" in the grand scheme of things. There are several thousand TT's in the U.S. which is a decent amount of cars when compared to some of the production numbers of old Porsches and some 60's muscle cars.
Let's compare apples to apples and from the same time period. Toyota made less turbo Supras than their 90s competitors. And how many of them are still on the road? Back in the mid 2000s (before it became a shit hole) members over at SF ran car registrations for all 50 states and it shows roughly only 8k out of the 11k MKIVs sold are still on the roads.

300ZX turbo: 18,274
3000GT VR-4: 15,539
Supra turbo: 6,977

http://zbum.suomiz.net/information.production.shtml
https://www.stealth316.com/2-production.htm
http://mkiv.com/specifications/sales_numbers/retail_sales.html

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
Length of the car issue: The FT1 had glorious proportions that we all fell in love with. When they made the new supra smaller than the previous gen, it killed me. It was such a difference that I felt the car would not have a "road presence" comparable to the MKIV.
I'm still convinced that if Toyota would have used the LC500 chassis, trickled down some LFA tech and used an inhouse tuned V-6 TT motor, they could have created something special and put an end to a lot of the BMW collaboration haters lol. The car would have closer proportions to the FT-1, been a completely in-house vehicle and probably start in the mid to high $60's for a base model. I remember reading in a previous thread though that things between Toyota and Lexus may not be as harmonious as it used to be. I think @A70TTR can chime in on that better than me though.

I plan to go to Toyota this weekend to see the Supra in person, but it's going to have to be pretty special to beat the LC500. I fell in love with that car and seeing it in person is just as amazing. I'm hoping the MKV has that same affect on me

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
You guys are still freaking out over 5 inches :lol:

supra.png

newestcompare.png
I'm not really freaking out about it lol. I have to see it in person first, but I think the thing that throws me off the most about the car is the short wheelbase. I haven't seen it in person, so I may change my tune once that happens. I still think the car looks a little "smushed" and could have benefited from using a larger chassis to capture the FT-1 proportions better

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still convinced that if Toyota would have used the LC500 chassis, trickled down some LFA tech and used an inhouse tuned V-6 TT motor, they could have created something special and put an end to a lot of the BMW collaboration haters lol. The car would have closer proportions to the FT-1, been a completely in-house vehicle and probably start in the mid to high $60's for a base model. I remember reading in a previous thread though that things between Toyota and Lexus may not be as harmonious as it used to be. I think @A70TTR can chime in on that better than me though.

I plan to go to Toyota this weekend to see the Supra in person, but it's going to have to be pretty special to beat the LC500. I fell in love with that car and seeing it in person is just as amazing. I'm hoping the MKV has that same affect on me
60k is way to conservative, I would guess more like 100k minimum.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Even if we stripped down an LC500 and base modeled it, we would still be looking at a price point far north of the current 50k and thats with the current V8 and substantial curb weight. Big part of that is because it was reinforced to eventually allow for a convertible, much like the RC platform.

The v6TT was a far more expensive engine to develop and to produce, so I'd expect added cost there as well if we were using that (Lexus politics aside).

So ultimately it would end up being a completely different segment entirely, but as you said perhaps many desired that.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I'm not really freaking out about it lol. I have to see it in person first, but I think the thing that throws me off the most about the car is the short wheelbase. I haven't seen it in person, so I may change my tune once that happens. I still think the car looks a little "smushed" and could have benefited from using a larger chassis to capture the FT-1 proportions better
Yeah I also think it's the wheelbase that is throwing people off. I saw one last week and it looks pretty good for a $50k car imo (minus stupid BMW mirrors). That's the thing I hate about concepts. They usually look nice and pretty but the final product us almost always watered down. It also didn't help that the people over Calty said they purposely enlarged the concept car for stage presence.
Sponsored