The Pricing Thread + Potential US Tariffs Impact

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am trying to ballpark an MSRP with reason. So at 340bhp and 3,300 lbs cited at the Festival of Speed you are looking at a 370Z Sport, Tech competitor.

The 2018 Z in that configuration has an MSRP of about $37,000. I would be willing to pay a premium for the Supra given the potential of the engine.

The VQ37VHR is basically optimized from the factory. 2 throttle bodies on a 3.7L motor is a lot of intake. Exhaust and tuning doesn't get you much for the money invested. Aftermarket turbo kits are a big investment and is certainly voiding a drivetrain warranty. Also a manual is cheaper than the automatic.

Meanwhile a CGI block with a closed deck, high flow factory heads on boost is an ECU flash away from sizeable gains.

How much more could the MSRP reasonably be aside from dealer markups the first year or so for the MKV?

Asking $10,000 over a similarly equipped 370Z is as far as I could go. Even at this price range the Pony cars are compelling not to mention a low mile C7.
Guff said that no one knows the actual specs and are just rumors. If it wasn't from Toyota, who will likely break the specs first before anyone else...

Then don't believe it
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
motor and tuning aside, you're also talking interior and mechanical components (suspension/diff) that are of a higher level than a 370z by quite a bit.

that said, the 50-55k mark is still right where it *should* be IMO.

Hoss57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2000 Z28 A4 cammed & stalled full bolt-ons. 1999 Formula M6 stock
I get that, the quality content will be far higher than a typical performance competitive vehicle. A quality DCT is straight up going to cost more than a torque converter automatic.

I personally believe the new Supra will be closer to 400bhp when it finally bows. At that power / weight ratio I think a $50-$55k asking price is fair.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
ideally it would come with more power if it weighs more, but we're still getting 1400kg figures from internal sources and external sources close to the chief engineer.

3070lbs with 340hp is honestly pretty decent, at least as far as i'm concerned.

Hoss57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2000 Z28 A4 cammed & stalled full bolt-ons. 1999 Formula M6 stock
Agreed. The lower mass will make this thing handle like a dream.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
motor and tuning aside, you're also talking interior and mechanical components (suspension/diff) that are of a higher level than a 370z by quite a bit.

that said, the 50-55k mark is still right where it *should* be IMO.
Ya and the 370 is an old car now with old internal/external components...

Forumboy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None officially
Is that RZ trim still happening? I personally wasn’t liking the weight. Was expecting a light car with good power. People are saying the car is around 3000 pounds which has me confused haha.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I know its great fun to compare specs but c'mon guys, have you driven a 370z? It drives like a once-sports car was poured over with molten rubber and left to set. Everything about it feels rubbery, disconnected, not-thought-out. And not in the Audi way where they knowingly do it because they're assholes, but in a "we tried our best but just don't know what we're doing" way. The VQ was wheezy, the CD009 was rubbery, and the chassis never felt like it was willing to adjust at the limit like you wanted it to... Yeah, they sold plenty, and they still sell them for god's sake, but I'd take dozens of worse HP/$ cars over a Z (ND or 86 for example).

There's a reason Caymans and 911s were benchmarked. It's a different type of car. If you're getting a Cayman S/GTS (or maybe even base C2) competitor for $10-20k less (Auto Cayman S is $73,500), then how is this not a good price for them to slot in at?

Now, of course, if it doesn't end up holding its own against a Cayman S, then yeah, that's a problem. But from what I've heard, it does a pretty good job. However, I'll reserve judgment for when I drive one myself. But for now, leave the Z to die, please!

I always say this, and I know it sounds stupid in internet-land, but cars are not spec-sheets, you have to drive them to know what they really offer. What a car tells in just a moment at the limit is far more informative than a thousand pages of forum spec-vomiting. I know it sucks because all we can do is talk on the forums, but my advice is just don't jump to conclusions. There's still plenty left to learn.

SVHO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 MX5 ND, 2019 Acura RDX
I am trying to ballpark an MSRP with reason. So at 340bhp and 3,300 lbs cited at the Festival of Speed you are looking at a 370Z Sport, Tech competitor.

The 2018 Z in that configuration has an MSRP of about $37,000. I would be willing to pay a premium for the Supra given the potential of the engine.

The VQ37VHR is basically optimized from the factory. 2 throttle bodies on a 3.7L motor is a lot of intake. Exhaust and tuning doesn't get you much for the money invested. Aftermarket turbo kits are a big investment and is certainly voiding a drivetrain warranty. Also a manual is cheaper than the automatic.

Meanwhile a CGI block with a closed deck, high flow factory heads on boost is an ECU flash away from sizeable gains.

How much more could the MSRP reasonably be aside from dealer markups the first year or so for the MKV?

Asking $10,000 over a similarly equipped 370Z is as far as I could go. Even at this price range the Pony cars are compelling not to mention a low mile C7.
But a lot assumptions are made here. I have owned 1987, 1990, 2004, 2005 z(zx) cars. The current Z cars are bullet proof. Can you say that with the BMW engine or anything BMW build?

upnsmoke

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota MR2 GT, Nismo 370Z , Subaru Liberty Outback
From my knowledge of European engines... When it reaches 30,000 Miles or 50,000 Kms.... It becomes expensive and unreliable. They are highly strung From the get go hence why you see 2.5 lt turbo engines with 400 horse power and 400Nm of torque from low revs... The OEMs crank it for performance rather than reliability and durability.

Japanese OEMs are more about durability... I would know. When I worked as an engineer for one... Its always function and durability/quality rather than flashy performance. That was chief engineer motto.

Still if you can afford European performance cars including the maintenance down the line they're very good performing cars. Just that there's a reason why European cars with mid to high mileage are cheap.... Because it cost a lot to maintain. That engine has been squeezed a lot hence the amazing performance numbers.. Again if you have the money then all good.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
...The current Z cars are bullet proof....
Maybe the engine is, but from all I've heard, the clutch slave cylinder on current-gen Zs is almost guaranteed to need replacement fairly early. Haven't seen anything to suggest this problem was solved with the switch to an Exedy clutch in 2018, but it may have been.

AZSupra

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTI
From my knowledge of European engines... When it reaches 30,000 Miles or 50,000 Kms.... It becomes expensive and unreliable. They are highly strung From the get go hence why you see 2.5 lt turbo engines with 400 horse power and 400Nm of torque from low revs... The OEMs crank it for performance rather than reliability and durability.

That is simply not true. Current MQB VW/Audi leave a lot on the table. Start with a GTi that is about 220 whp stock. Those hit 300 whp with a downpipe and tune. No reliability issues.

The 2.5T in the RS3/TTRS are hitting 10s easily with bolt ons. 500 whp.

You can blast the germans for high maintenance costs and I will not fault you. But, they leave a lot on the table when it comes to boosted motors and tuning
Sponsored