The Toyota Supra Owner's Club Event featuring Tetsuya Tada & the A90 (photos/videos)

Which Supra do you think looks the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
http://media.toyota.co.uk/2018/07/five-generations-of-toyota-supra-together-for-the-first-time/

FIVE GENERATIONS OF TOYOTA SUPRA TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME
  • World first as all five generations of Toyota Supra come together
  • British Toyota Supra owners get exclusive access to new A90 Supra prototype
  • Sports car introduced by Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada
A select group of classic Toyota Supra owners from the UK have become amongst the first car fans in the world to get close up and personal with the all-new version of the iconic sports car.

The behind-closed-doors event in Sussex saw all four famous generations of the sports car brought together with the new fifth generation car for the first time anywhere in the world.

Toyota invited a group of Supra super-fans to an evening event with Tetsuya Tada, in which the chief engineer of the new A90 Supra gave owners of all four previous generations an exclusive introduction to the camouflaged prototype.

The top secret, invite-only event occurred during the long weekend of the 2018 Goodwood Festival of Speed, where the keenly anticipated new fifth-generation Supra made its world debut.

Earlier in the day, Tada-san had given thousands of enthusiasts an early taste of the vehicle’s dynamic performance by driving up the famous festival hill course, after which the prototype was whisked away to another location in West Sussex for its exclusive static showing.

A total of 50 immaculately presented Supra models from all four generations had been invited to attend in anticipation of the new A90 Supra’s arrival.

The majority of the 84 owners and guests arrived in fourth-generation models, from highly sought-after UK-specification models with manual gearboxes, to examples that illustrated the enduring popularity and immense tuning potential of the iconic 2JZ straight-six engine. Also in attendance were eight third-generation models in both original and facelifted guise, four angular second-generation models, and a single first-generation model – one of only two examples of the Celica Supra known to exist in the UK.

Tada-san drove the new A90 Supra into the building to rapturous applause from the enthusiasts. He positioned it on a rotating stand and then proudly introduced his “new baby” to the crowd as the culmination of six years of development. It was a moment that marked the first time that all five generations of Toyota Supra had ever appeared together in public.

During the course of the evening, Tada-san was eager to mingle with the guests and chat openly about the A90 project. As an enthusiast himself, he was equally eager to hear from existing owners about what Supra means to them and gain a greater understanding of their expectations for this next chapter in the model’s history.

Commenting on the weekend, Tada-san revealed: “I’m just so happy that we’ve made it to this point. I’ve finally been able to reveal the car to the UK; it’s the happiest day of my life. And to drive it up the hill at Goodwood was a really exciting experience.”

Toyota expects its new Supra to reach the market during the first half of 2019.

EDITOR’S NOTES:

The first Supra was produced in 1978 as the flagship derivative of the contemporary Celica but it was never sold in the UK. The second-generation Celica Supra arrived in the UK in August 1982 and was replaced by the standalone third-generation Supra model in July 1986. The fourth-generation Supra was launched in August 1993 but discontinued in the UK in 1996. Low-volume production of the Mk4 Supra continued in Japan for the domestic market until July 2002.

UK sales figures:

1982-1985 Celica Supra (4,132 units)
1986-1993 Supra (11,551 Units)
1994-1996 Supra (623 units)
Supra-A90-2hr.jpg

Supra-A90-8hr.jpg

Supra-A90-11hr.jpg

toyota-supra-generations.jpg

Supra-A90-15hr.jpg
Sponsored

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
This is cool, hope it is done in North America also...video below
That's a good friend of mine at the 22sec mark, Alex. Yall actually posted some of his IG post on here. I didn't know he was going to be there until it was already going on. When I first saw the video, I thought it was talking about the GRMN model, since it started off with "Top Secret" Supra. I was fooled smh.

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
Is it just the picture morphing in the first pic or does the supra like very shrunkin......I hope its just the picture and not TT like proportions

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Is it just the picture morphing in the first pic or does the supra like very shrunkin......I hope its just the picture and not TT like proportions
I'm not a photo expert, but I believe its just the camera lens or the wide lens, something like that.

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tada also elaborated, saying the four-cylinder Supra will be lighter, with "much better weight distribution" and a sharper-feeling turn-in. Tada also remarked that, for the Supra owners who plan to swap in a 2JZ engine, "please buy the four-cylinder. It will be cheaper."

Thanks for the link MLG!!! I would love to know if there is a 2JZ MKV lurking somewhere through some TMC "skunkworks." Imagine, a modern chassis with a legendary 2JZ....ohhhhh the possibilities.

This also might hint that Toyota may start reproducing discontinued 2JZ parts??? I know, it's wishful thinking, but gotta stay positive.
Oh the price!! if I cost a car for make a swap with 2jz I don’t cost a new Supra. There a more good and cheaper car for make this...

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea, but I feel like it's slanted because Tada San is claiming a lower COG than the 86. Seems like that would be even more difficult with a fully vertical motor. Honestly, I'm not sure how he did it without laying that straight six totally down on its side lol. Motor shouldn't be terribly heavy if it's CGI though.
Guff, that's true....I mean, how much better COG can you get than a GT86 with a boxer motor??? Based on the size of the firewall opening and tunnel....that motor may sit really far back in. I'm talking possibly one or two cylinders past the firewall. That would surely shift the engines weight further in the center.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Oh the price!! if I cost a car for make a swap with 2jz I don’t cost a new Supra. There a more good and cheaper car for make this...
Even if there wasn't a 4 cylinder, there will be a number of people that will still do a 2JZ swap. All Tada is saying, hey here is a cheaper option for you guys.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
For what they targeted the Cayman, I'm ok with it if it's 4 cylinders but offer similar or same performance and is cheaper in pricing. Although, I think I will miss the noise of a 6 cylinder. Id Imagine the 4 cylinder will be the good seller too, people wanting to move from the 86 or is looking for something in that price range should be happy.

also, for me

A70,A90,A80 in that order of looks. A70 to me just seems timeless, it's like the pinnacle of 80s design. It looks like it belongs in that era, while the A80 and A90. I feel as if the A80 was ahead of it's time, and the A90 is sorta 2011 to me. It's why i chose the A70 because of how it belongs.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Tada also elaborated, saying the four-cylinder Supra will be lighter, with "much better weight distribution" and a sharper-feeling turn-in. Tada also remarked that, for the Supra owners who plan to swap in a 2JZ engine, "please buy the four-cylinder. It will be cheaper."

Thanks for the link MLG!!! I would love to know if there is a 2JZ MKV lurking somewhere through some TMC "skunkworks." Imagine, a modern chassis with a legendary 2JZ....ohhhhh the possibilities.

This also might hint that Toyota may start reproducing discontinued 2JZ parts??? I know, it's wishful thinking, but gotta stay positive.
GR might, but not sure about toyota

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
nothing of that sort has been made or even conceptualized; it's all about modern stuff and using the latest tech.

enthusiasts are the ones raving about how fantastic early 90s tech is lol
HEY!!! Careful about bad mouthing the early 90's tech....:bat:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I'm a big fan of the engines, but that's about it... my A70 is a good example of this, but the brakes, suspension, electronics, dash, ECU, injectors, turbo, wastegate, cams, and more, (sooner or later transmission too) are all items developed within the last 5-10 years.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
I dont understand why so many people want to revert back to 2jz, I lie I do. However, why not take the current motor, push it, learn from the bottom and make that motor just a good, if not better than the 2jz. Dont get me wrong, I love the JZ motors, but at some point, myself included have to move with the new. All I see are people looking for the easy way out to make power, when the same could be done with the new motor. We already know it make 700+. Realistically, with as small as this new supra is, anything north of that will be like wrestling a grizzly bear, unarmed and naked. I'll stick with what it comes with, design and manufacture new upgrades, both aesthetic and performance, while the A80 owners live in their glorious past.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I understood people that 1J/2J swapped the 86/BRZ because of several reasons, but I agree that I'd find it beyond ridiculous to swap this car at its given pricepoint, 4cyl, 6cyl etc.

finding ways to swap in a manual is a different story, and I'm excited to see what happens there.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.