The Toyota Supra Owner's Club Event featuring Tetsuya Tada & the A90 (photos/videos)

Which Supra do you think looks the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
Tada said, "Itā€™s actually the same level of rigidity as the Lexus LFA supercar, and it has been achieved without using carbon fiber so we could keep the price point at an affordable level. That was the most difficult thing to achieve," does that mean that the Supra is going to be cheaper than we thought? Or still carry the heavily rumored $63,500 price tag close to the likes of Porsche Cayman, and BMW Z4?

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tada said, "Itā€™s actually the same level of rigidity as the Lexus LFA supercar, and it has been achieved without using carbon fiber so we could keep the price point at an affordable level. That was the most difficult thing to achieve," does that mean that the Supra is going to be cheaper than we thought? Or still carry the heavily rumored $63,500 price tag close to the likes of Porsche Cayman, and BMW Z4?
If you chose the 4cylindres :yes:

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
If you chose the 4cylindres :yes:
I believe price of the 4-cylinder shouldnā€™t be too far from the 6-cylinder. It should have a relative price point distance vs. Porsche or BMW. $63,500 doesnā€™t sound affordable, after all. That price is already in the luxury territory, even more expensive than a Corvette. Around $35,000-$55,000 sounds more interesting. If at $63,500, it would be the 2nd most expensive Toyota in the lineup, only cheaper than the Land Cruiser. Best if they price it close to the previous generationā€™s pice. Keeping fingers crossed .

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I believe price of the 4-cylinder shouldnā€™t be too far from the 6-cylinder. It should have a relative price point distance vs. Porsche or BMW. $63,500 doesnā€™t sound affordable, after all. That price is already in the luxury territory, even more expensive than a Corvette. Around $35,000-$55,000 sounds more interesting. If at $63,500, it would be the 2nd most expensive Toyota in the lineup, only cheaper than the Land Cruiser. Best if they price it close to the previous generationā€™s pice. Keeping fingers crossed .
37k 42k 47k

For 4 cyl, 6 cyl and high trim 6 cyl.

Be cool if the grmn was the 62k trim we are hearing

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
37k 42k 47k

For 4 cyl, 6 cyl and high trim 6 cyl.

Be cool if the grmn was the 62k trim we are hearing
I just want to mention, the average car price in the US is now over $36,000. Also, the 1993 MKIV Supra cost $69,900 in Turbo trim and $59,200 in NA trim when you calculate inflation. By 1996 the Turbo car was $80,900 with inflation.

Needless to say, the MKIV was a fairly expensive car, and the MKV isn't going to have an MSRP the same as an optioned up WRX or BRZ PP.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just want to mention, the average car price in the US is now over $36,000. Also, the 1993 MKIV Supra cost $69,900 in Turbo trim and $59,200 in NA trim when you calculate inflation. By 1996 the Turbo car was $80,900 with inflation.

Needless to say, the MKIV was a fairly expensive car, and the MKV isn't going to have an MSRP the same as an optioned up WRX or BRZ PP.
Oh, i am fully aware. I was being hopelessly optimistic at the car being priced way less. But tada and sources already confirmed a 54k ish price tag all the way up to a 62k price tag. A70 said possible 40k for the 4 banger and from there is a toss up of how much changes are placed in this car.

Realistically, a 44-47k pricetag for the 4 cylinder car if it is light as an 86, pushes 260 hp and is easy to mod would be fine, after the complaints of people who won't buy it.

Makes it easy for salesman to pitch a 54-55k sz r and then people who wanted an szr can get pitched by 59,700 priced RZ supra before destination and dealer add ins. It seems hard to justify the price but if Toyota has a specialized page on the website for each trim, it can separate the cars as if they have their own identities

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo

None of that really matters. The Mkv was a joint development with bmw in order to save on costs. Not to mention Toyota is not going to ignore the other available cars out there that will directly compete with the mkv. Your average sports car buyer will not pay more for a Supra over the other options.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
None of that really matters. The Mkv was a joint development with bmw in order to save on costs. Not to mention Toyota is not going to ignore the other available cars out there that will directly compete with the mkv. Your average sports car buyer will not pay more for a Supra over the other options.
Exactly right. Toyota will price the car depending on the market and we just have to wait and see what that is.

Oh, i am fully aware. I was being hopelessly optimistic at the car being priced way less. But tada and sources already confirmed a 54k ish price tag all the way up to a 62k price tag. A70 said possible 40k for the 4 banger and from there is a toss up of how much changes are placed in this car.

Realistically, a 44-47k pricetag for the 4 cylinder car if it is light as an 86, pushes 260 hp and is easy to mod would be fine, after the complaints of people who won't buy it.

Makes it easy for salesman to pitch a 54-55k sz r and then people who wanted an szr can get pitched by 59,700 priced RZ supra before destination and dealer add ins. It seems hard to justify the price but if Toyota has a specialized page on the website for each trim, it can separate the cars as if they have their own identities
At this point, pricing I'm sure is still under consideration by Toyota. We've got about another year (I'm guessing) before we get cars hitting our shores, so the market has plenty of time to change, for better or worse.

formsracing

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
As time goes on, and other manufacturers come out with faster and newer cars, Toyota will need to price very accordingly.

With how the long the development took and how the production Supra is shaping up to be, Toyota will already have trouble pricing each trim with respect to the competition on the market right now.

Much less the new cars coming out in the next few years that it will have to compete with.

Last edited:

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For me with eu spec
Supra gr 4cylindres 184hp 260N/m 35kā‚¬
Supra gr 4cylindres 252hp 350N/m 45kā‚¬
Supra gr 6cylindres 325hp 450N/m 55kā‚¬
Supra grmn 6cylindres to expensive produce only went toyota win some race. Same gap between Nissan GT-R and gtr nismo ...

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
If they were concerned with competition at the level you speak of yes, but they ultimately don't expect to make any money on this car.

I've already spoken with Tada directly on that, and Akio approved the project as a way to reintroduce fun and excitement as a halo car, so like the LFA they really only approved this for marketing reasons.

That changes the way they approach pricing and everything at a fundamental level.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
As time goes on, and other manufacturers come out with faster and newer cars, Toyota will need to price very accordingly.

With how the long the development took and how the production Supra is shaping up to be, Toyota will already have trouble pricing each trim with respect to the competition that is out already right now.

Much less the new cars coming out in the next few years that it will have to compete with.
All manufacturers are well aware of progress and development by their competitors over time. Toyota is no different. Just because it's been 6+ years since they started working on the project, it doesn't mean that they were designing a car for the 2013 MY when they started.

The Supra has been developed for the current era of sports cars and is also provisioned for the future. Pricing will of course reflect that. Toyota has literally hundreds of market analysts that work on producing data that will tell them exactly where they need to price this car to have the biggest impact.

Even though it may seem like we've all been sitting here waiting forever, Toyota isn't releasing this car "late", while the rest of the world has already zoomed past. You've got to give them more credit than that.

GT-Remi

First Name
Remi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
All
so,

A90:

340HP, 3100 lbs, 255/35/19 F and 275/35/19 R tires

370Z:

332HP, 3,232 lbs, 245/35/19 F and 275/35/19 R tires

If these numbers are right, and the rumored 60k price point is right, we'll have something near identical in spec and absolutely in the same class as a 370Z, for twice the price. ouch.

Maybe they should have shoved the engine in the back and brought back the MR2, because if these numbers are right it definitely doesn't deserve the Supra namesake.

94' Supra Turbo and 300ZX TT are quite similar in those regards, one more popular than the other because tuneability of motor and robust drivetrain. Price wise, very expensive in their day which led them to sit in dealership showrooms.

Factoring in inflation, 60K isn't bad for 2020 money. If those specs are near production, I personally wouldn't pay 60 but high 40 or 50 maybe... For 60, wouldn't hesitate on the M2 competition or Cayman. Why, BECAUSE MANUAL!

I haven't lurked in months and not up to date with the latest news so, excuse me if it was confirmed or mentioned but, I feel like Tada might be engineering said Surpa with the same philosophy as the FRZ86GT. Lightweight, balanced, true sports car, and fun, are going to be selling points. None of that will mean anything to me if it doesn't have a manual...

As a person who grew up with Toyota/Lexus, I would so love to have a fourth "T" badged car in the garage, yet alone one tied to a motorsports heratige or namesake. Sadly, the realization of new aged J-sports cars or "corporate direction" are making things bleak.

Wouldn't it be something if the production A90 came with a M2C/M3/M4 S55 motor! If so, the collaboration won't make me feel too bad on making a deposit on a M2 competition hahahaha

formsracing

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
All manufacturers are well aware of progress and development by their competitors over time. Toyota is no different. Just because it's been 6+ years since they started working on the project, it doesn't mean that they were designing a car for the 2013 MY when they started.

The Supra has been developed for the current era of sports cars and is also provisioned for the future. Pricing will of course reflect that. Toyota has literally hundreds of market analysts that work on producing data that will tell them exactly where they need to price this car to have the biggest impact.

Even though it may seem like we've all been sitting here waiting forever, Toyota isn't releasing this car "late", while the rest of the world has already zoomed past. You've got to give them more credit than that.
Fair enough, but let me explain where Iā€™m coming from with my thought.

Letā€™s just take M4 for example, as the Supra is somewhat of a redheaded step-child of BMW.

Do you think whatever the GRMN spec becomes, that it will outperform the current generation M3/M4? I have my doubts that it would, maybe somewhere in the same ball park of performance. Letā€™s just say it does marginally for arguments sake.

The next gen M3/M4 will be due in about 2-3 years time and I am positive that it will outperform any spec of the Supra that comes out. The price of the BMW will most likely be between 75K-85K.

So where does this leave the Supra in terms of pricing?

As many people seem to agree, Toyota is in the business of making money. Who would buy a top spec Supra anywhere near 70k if by the time itā€™s out, luxury performance cars like the next gen M3/M4 (or anything from the Germany or Chevrolet) is in the same sandbox?

Edit: my pricing example is based in USD for all you folks outside the US
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.