The Toyota Supra Owner's Club Event featuring Tetsuya Tada & the A90 (photos/videos)

Which Supra do you think looks the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FYI, If BMW did assist and pushed to help make the Supra above and beyond what was believed for Toyota ie funding or design, I am sure BMW would let them know what's coming soon to their respective lineup. Adding on to this, Toyota would be getting news first hand before us of what is coming from other competitors and ensure their cars are worthy as options for buyers cross shopping.

And if the m4 gets refreshed to be 480 HP, and stays at the same weigt, then Toyota can just release a 400 ish variant and throw in carbon fiber pieces to below or hover right at 3k lbs and it would be competitive.

But A70 also noted the Supra is a marketing goal for Toyota as roi is low as it is for a sports car market. The benefit is Toyota wouldn't throw a Supra name if it wasn't worthy though
Sponsored

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
If they were concerned with competition at the level you speak of yes, but they ultimately don't expect to make any money on this car.

I've already spoken with Tada directly on that, and Akio approved the project as a way to reintroduce fun and excitement as a halo car, so like the LFA they really only approved this for marketing reasons.

That changes the way they approach pricing and everything at a fundamental level.
That’s really bad business if it’s true what you are saying. It’s not like Toyota is suffering and needs the Supra in order to sell other cars. They could have invested less money and made some big improvements on their other cars to boost sales and see good ROI. They did just that with the Camry.

If it’s just about marketing than they don’t need to lose any money on it, sell to only those who will pay premium (NSX Anyone?). Don’t believe the we won’t make any money story.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
Toyota is smart. Give them a couple of years and you’ll see Lexus announce their own version of the Supra with a real Lexus interior and engine. The real next Supra is going to be a Lexus.

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
Toyota is smart. Give them a couple of years and you’ll see Lexus announce their own version of the Supra with a real Lexus interior and engine. The real next Supra is going to be a Lexus.
It’s possible that the next-generation Lexus RC/RC F could follow footsteps of the A90 Supra. This time around, Toyota will be in full control. No help from BMW.

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
FYI, If BMW did assist and pushed to help make the Supra above and beyond what was believed for Toyota ie funding or design, I am sure BMW would let them know what's coming soon to their respective lineup. Adding on to this, Toyota would be getting news first hand before us of what is coming from other competitors and ensure their cars are worthy as options for buyers cross shopping.

And if the m4 gets refreshed to be 480 HP, and stays at the same weigt, then Toyota can just release a 400 ish variant and throw in carbon fiber pieces to below or hover right at 3k lbs and it would be competitive.

But A70 also noted the Supra is a marketing goal for Toyota as roi is low as it is for a sports car market. The benefit is Toyota wouldn't throw a Supra name if it wasn't worthy though
I believe the A90 is Toyota’s present to enthusiasts, as it is most likely the last non-electrified sports car from Toyota.. It’s about making motorists happy, and prove that Toyota still knows how to make good and fun sports cars. It is also a good marketing strategy to remove Toyota’s image from being boring to exciting. Toyota has been known, for many years, for selling reliable, durable, affordable cars. If Tetsuya Tada said the Supra is going to be “affordable”, then it should price it against other Japanese automakers’ offering like the Nissan 370Z. It could be a bit higher but not by much, but what’s important is that it will still be affordable. Besides, the chief engineer mentioned that no carbon fiber is going to be used for the Supra. It just means that they could save costs and price it affordably. Otherwise, if it will be expensive, it shouldn’t be a Toyota then but be Lexus Supra.

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
The avarage price of all Toyota vehicles is around $31,000. Hard to justify or conclude since they only have 1 sports car in the lineup, which is the 86. But marketing it as a Toyota, it should be something considered as affordable. $63,500 is already in the Lexus territory. There were earlier reports that the Supra would not be a cheap car. But recently, Tetsuya Tada-san mentioned that they did not use carbon fiber for it to be affordable. I believe we just have to listen to Tada-san since he knows it all. I believe the chief engineer is doing everything to make sure that the Supra will be affordable. Just BMW’s engine and infotainment system would be more expensive, I think, as well as the chassis. And since it’s a collaboration between two companies, they save a lot of r & d costs, which could make the car more affordable. If BMW prices their Z4 $60,000 and up, it’s ok since they’re a luxury automaker, which Toyota is not. It would definitely be more expensive than the 86; but not double the price and beyond. I trust Toyota. I believe when they reveal everything real soon, enthusiasts would be more than happy. We’ll just have to wait and see.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
That’s really bad business if it’s true what you are saying. It’s not like Toyota is suffering and needs the Supra in order to sell other cars. They could have invested less money and made some big improvements on their other cars to boost sales and see good ROI. They did just that with the Camry.

If it’s just about marketing than they don’t need to lose any money on it, sell to only those who will pay premium (NSX Anyone?). Don’t believe the we won’t make any money story.
The LFA was bad business too and they didn't need to make it to sell cars. You're completely missing the point.

It's simply to bring back fun and excitement, specifically to the Toyota brand. They will make some money on the car, but not a lot especially relative to something like the Camry, which is why I said that's not the main objective.

Make a little money, break even, lose a little money... All good.

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ
Agreed. Take for Nissan example - there was a time when no one really cared about the brand. After the GTR, every kid on the block knows what a Nissan is, what a GTR is and what the chassis code is. Bringing this car back to life pretty much boosted and solidified the Nissan brand image in the public eye. The Supra will do a similar thing for Toyota.

Being the halo car, the Supra will also have a trickle down effect for future cars in the Toyota line up. Example - I remember looking at the LFA's gauge cluster and interior for the first time and being mind blown. Forward a number of years and every new F sport has the same if not similar gauge cluster and interior. One of my friends bought a IS 250 F sport and the first thing he told me was "the car is very LFA inspired". This is a big marketing tool for Lexus as my friend upgraded to the F sport package just for the LFA treatment. Acura is doing a similar thing with their new RDX A Spec and its NSX inspired interior.

Point is the world runs on marketing more than ever these days. Brand image matters and there's a bigger plan in the works here. May not make sense financially now, but sometimes you gotta make these bold moves to ensure future business.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Agreed. Take for Nissan example - there was a time when no one really cared about the brand. After the GTR, every kid on the block knows what a Nissan is, what a GTR is and what the chassis code is. Bringing this car back to life pretty much boosted and solidified the Nissan brand image in the public eye. The Supra will do a similar thing for Toyota.

Being the halo car, the Supra will also have a trickle down effect for future cars in the Toyota line up. Example - I remember looking at the LFA's gauge cluster and interior for the first time and being mind blown. Forward a number of years and every new F sport has the same if not similar gauge cluster and interior. One of my friends bought a IS 250 F sport and the first thing he told me was "the car is very LFA inspired". This is a big marketing tool for Lexus as my friend upgraded to the F sport package just for the LFA treatment. Acura is doing a similar thing with their new RDX A Spec and its NSX inspired interior.

Point is the world runs on marketing more than ever these days. Brand image matters and there's a bigger plan in the works here. May not make sense financially now, but sometimes you gotta make these bold moves to ensure future business.
Same goes for Porsche, before the Mission E came along, their design language was influenced by the 918

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo

I don’t know how old you are but people knew about Nissan way before the GTR. The 350Z came out before the GTR in The United States and Nissan was already well established. While kids might know what a GTR is (not as many as you think) it’s not kids who buy GTR’s and I promise you the the GTR had very little effect if at all to help move Altima’s and santra’s or any other Nissan for that matter.

Not to be argumentative but it’s just your opinion. 99% of the buyers of the cars you mentioned don’t know what an LFA is. Those who do have no clue about the similarities in the interior therefore the marketing you are talking about is a big waste of money. I promise you that not a single automaker spends so much money to develop a car just to use it as a marketing tool to sell other models. The marketing aspect of it is alive and well for sure but the money spent is meant to do a lot more than to market itself as a fun company. How much marketing you think the new Supra is going to get? How did the new NSX, GTR, R8 and so on was used in marketing and how often and for how long? Marketing is not the main purpose.

Your last statement is the most accurate thing you said but not how you think. It’s a much bigger topic that I don’t have time to explain. Car makers understand that their investments will take years, sometimes a decade or more until it will start seeing the real returns on it. Marketing can’t last that long on one product. Like I said, this is a much bigger conversation to have...

Last edited:

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ
I don’t know how old you are but people knew about Nissan way before the GTR. The 350Z came out before the GTR in The United States and Nissan was already well established. While kids might know what a GTR is (not as many as you think) it’s not kids who buy GTR’s and I promise you the the GTR had very little effect if at all to help move Altima’s and santra’s or any other Nissan for that matter.

Not to be argumentative but it’s just your opinion. 99% of the buyers of the cars you mentioned don’t know what an LFA is. Those who do have no clue about the similarities in the interior therefore the marketing you are talking about is a big waste of money. I promise you that not a single automaker spends so much money to develop a car just to use it as a marketing tool to sell other models. The marketing aspect of it is alive and well for sure but the money spent is meant to do a lot more than to market itself as a fun company. How much marketing you think the new Supra is going to get? How did the new NSX, GTR, R8 and so on was used in marketing and how often and for how long? Marketing is not the main purpose.

Your last statement is the most accurate thing you said but not how you think. It’s a much bigger topic that I don’t have time to explain. Car makers understand that their investments will take years, sometimes a decade or more until it will start seeing the real returns on it. Marketing can’t last that long on one product. Like I said, this is a much bigger conversation to have...

Interesting points. Normally I would respond back, but I realized that it is kinda fruitless to elaborate on my points or explore Toyota's business model for the Supra. I am happy to rest my case on the fact that the Supra is happening and I am excited for it.

As you had said, may we can chat about this another time.

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
Knowing that the BMW B58 engine will most likely be used in the Supra, and it doesn’t have a dip stick to check oil level; and instead use electronic sensors. Do you think a dip stick will make it to the Supra?

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)

Toyota was used to be known as a sporty automaker. But recently, more than 10 years already, they have cemented themselves for making quality, reliable, affordable cars. Fun factor is definitely missing. Now they want to inject the funness into their cars. Other automakers like Ford, Chevrolet, Land Rover, even if proven unreliable, people still buy them because they are capable of making fun and exciting cars. The hype factor is there, and that’s where money goes. What more for Toyota that has already proven to build bulletproof reliability, and adding the fun factor would simply just make the brand stronger than ever.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.