The Toyota Supra Owner's Club Event featuring Tetsuya Tada & the A90 (photos/videos)

Which Supra do you think looks the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
Toyota was used to be known as a sporty automaker. But recently, more than 10 years already, they have cemented themselves for making quality, reliable, affordable cars. Fun factor is definitely missing. Now they want to inject the funness into their cars. Other automakers like Ford, Chevrolet, Land Rover, even if proven unreliable, people still buy them because they are capable of making fun and exciting cars. The hype factor is there, and thatā€™s where money goes. What more for Toyota that has already proven to build bulletproof reliability, and adding the fun factor would simply just make the brand stronger than ever.
Thatā€™s fan made stuff. Toyota is going to make the Supra just for fun, that is marketing at its best. ā€˜Letā€™s make a new Supra just for fun factorā€™ is all in your head. Most people donā€™t even know a new Supra is coming. How many people actually care? In 5 years The mkiv sold about what? 11,000 and out of those 7,000 were twin turbo. People buy fun cars, they donā€™t buy a boring car because the same manufacturer makes a fun car. No one will go buy a corolla because of a Supra. This whole fun thing is going to make Toyota great again needs to stop. Iā€™m glad people are excited but letā€™s keep reality intact and stop making things up as facts. I canā€™t explain this any other way.

Toyota doesnā€™t care that there are about 10-20k kids/young adults that think they are boring. They are not hurting for business.

The Supra is meant to add to their bottom line. Something else to sell that they currently donā€™t offer, might as well call it a Supra.

Last edited:

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
Thatā€™s fan made stuff. Toyota is going to make the Supra just for fun, that is marketing at its best. ā€˜Letā€™s make a new Supra just for fun factorā€™ is all in your head. Most people donā€™t even know a new Supra is coming. How many people actually care? In 5 years The mkiv sold about what? 11,000 and out of those 7,000 were twin turbo. People buy fun cars, they donā€™t buy a boring car because the same manufacturer makes a fun car. No one will go buy a corolla because of a Supra. This whole fun thing is going to make Toyota great again needs to stop. Iā€™m glad people are excited but letā€™s keep reality intact and stop making things up as facts. I canā€™t explain this any other way.

Toyota doesnā€™t care that there are about 10-20k kids/young adults that think they are boring. They are not hurting for business.

The Supra is meant to add to their bottom line. Something else to sell that they currently donā€™t offer, might as well call it a Supra.
Toyota is jack-of-all-trades and master of many. They are slowly but surely injecting the right amount of funness back into their cars. They probably reviewed their history and reapplied all the winning formulas. It just makes it a win-win situation for us enthusiasts and them.

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
When the Supra is going on sale soon, what are they going to badge it as? Will it be Toyota or GR? Personally, Iā€™m ok with them calling the trim levels like basic Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport, and Supra GRMN, as long as itā€™s under Toyota. Calling the cars like GR Supra, GR Supra Sport and so on doesnā€™t sound appealing to me. What do you guys think?

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
When the Supra is going on sale soon, what are they going to badge it as? Will it be Toyota or GR? Personally, Iā€™m ok with them calling the trim levels like basic Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport, and Supra GRMN, as long as itā€™s under Toyota. Calling the cars like GR Supra, GR Supra Sport and so on doesnā€™t sound appealing to me. What do you guys think?
I would have seen celica gr celica grmn for 4 cylinders and supra gr grmn for 6 cylinders but basic Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport, and Supra GRMN it is good too.

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
Call it a Celica/MR2 or anything else that doesn't depict one of their all-time best vehicles to have come from Toyota. I get the whole business/corporate aspect so I don't disagree with you in that regard. However I will hands down say that this is a joke of car that will sell to the mainstream market in masses, it's basically a glorified 86 with a bit more power imo.

350hp from a sports car in this day and age - especially a Supra.... It's not the lightest car either, I would respect that power level if the weight of the vehicle was below = 1200kg or less.

While nothing on cemented i'll reserve the rest of my comments for the official release and test drive. I am sure there will be a market for the new Supra, I am also sure that it wont live up to the expectations of a LOT of car enthusiasts that admired the twin turbo Supra in the 90's era.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota was used to be known as a sporty automaker. But recently, more than 10 years already, they have cemented themselves for making quality, reliable, affordable cars. Fun factor is definitely missing. Now they want to inject the funness into their cars. Other automakers like Ford, Chevrolet, Land Rover, even if proven unreliable, people still buy them because they are capable of making fun and exciting cars. The hype factor is there, and thatā€™s where money goes. What more for Toyota that has already proven to build bulletproof reliability, and adding the fun factor would simply just make the brand stronger than ever.

There definitely is some form of marketing involved in any halo sports car from any car maker to attract customers to a brand or make. This is not new and certainly isn't a strategy that will go away anytime soon. The Lexus LFA was never designed to be a mass produced car, nor was it designed to generate profit. The LFA was designed to show off the company's ability to engineer a super car like no other (which we all know they succeeded in). The LFA opened the doors to a plethora of technologies that trickled down to their other cars (i.e., digital gauge cluster, active aero wing, high output yet compact and lightweight engine design, etc...). The same thing can be said about the Viper, the Corvette, etc... The best high performance cars make the best every day cars. Honda use to be on the forefront of this with their racing teams and the technologies they used that eventually made their way into ordinary cars (VTEC, etc..). The new Supra may not be produced for huge profits (although alot of signs point to that), however, it will surely open doors for potential future sports cars or platforms for Toyota.

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Call it a Celica/MR2 or anything else that doesn't depict one of their all-time best vehicles to have come from Toyota. I get the whole business/corporate aspect so I don't disagree with you in that regard. However I will hands down say that this is a joke of car that will sell to the mainstream market in masses, it's basically a glorified 86 with a bit more power imo.

350hp from a sports car in this day and age - especially a Supra.... It's not the lightest car either, I would respect that power level if the weight of the vehicle was below = 1200kg or less.

While nothing on cemented i'll reserve the rest of my comments for the official release and test drive. I am sure there will be a market for the new Supra, I am also sure that it wont live up to the expectations of a LOT of car enthusiasts that admired the twin turbo Supra in the 90's era.
Do not forget one thing if toyota can revive the supra it is well thanks to bmw which it is not stop to make 6 cylinder in line.
even if it cost them a lot in the beginning indeed the crash tests with a 6 cylinders did not have to be simple for bmw.
Do not forget that the cars of 20 years ago were not as sure as that of the pass.
so yes the supra will not be entirely a toyota but I would never wish a car at 100k

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
the trickle down effect of tech is a component for sure, and they want to minimize losses as much as they can; both are true. the main objective however is indeed marketing and specifically Akio wanting a Toyota halo car. if money is made, that's ideal, but if money is lost then so be it.

I work with the people that make these decisions and have spoken at length about it time and again for different projects.

now, that said, I'm not saying this is universal. the car I'm currently working on is an exception to that line of thinking in a few ways.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the trickle down effect of tech is a component for sure, and they want to minimize losses as much as they can; both are true. the main objective however is indeed marketing and specifically Akio wanting a Toyota halo car. if money is made, that's ideal, but if money is lost then so be it.

I work with the people that make these decisions and have spoken at length about it time and again for different projects.

now, that said, I'm not saying this is universal. the car I'm currently working on is an exception to that line of thinking in a few ways.
A70TTR, any clues on the car you are currently working on? Higher performance, lower performance, etc... than the MKV?

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've said it before.

Toyota in the business to save money.

Lexus is the older brother who likes to one up the little brother.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's in its own league, but that's all I can say.

The Supra is cool, but the LFA was the king :D
I don't know who's worse at hinting you or Tada San....lmao! Give us a little more would ya?

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't know who's worse at hinting you or Tada San....lmao! Give us a little more would ya?
A 150k LFA without the exhaustive ten year R&D done on the original after the Supra's development is done.

Only questions for me is weight, drivetrain and design language.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.