Think i can be tuned?

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Maybe if you stop to take off your shoes and pants in the middle of. 30 seconds, tops.
Lol. Pulling the ECU to check the production date is tops a 2 minute job. The ECU doesn't even have to come out all the way. Just release the clips, slide it up a bit, and use a camera phone that has flash enabled to take a snapshot of the label. BAM! Done!

Deleted member 6088

How easy is it to pull out your ECU to check the date? I've never done it so i'm not sure if it's easy or takes some time.
Very easy. pop the cover and I was able to pop clip and slide up far enough to take a quick photo with out undoing any. top wire harness stuff. Slow and gentle.

OP
OP

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Yea I don't mind disclosing. My total out the door was right around $1,700 total. That was for the downpipe purchase, the unlock fee, the B58 Super License through MHD, which includes all of their OTS tunes ranging from pump gas to E30 and E40, labor for the shop to install the downpipe, and 3 dyno runs.

I decided to go with MHD because it's incredibly user friendly and their tunes are very safe. The UI and ability to change everything so easily from your phone on an app is awesome! ECUTek OTS map tuned cars make a tad bit more power, like a very very minimal amount more, almost negligible, and the process from start to finish on ECUTek seemed like such a chore. It required a windows laptop, which I didn't have, and the ECUTek tuning hardware as well as the license. The EcuTek software also seemed very cumbersome to comb through and figure out. With MHD all I needed was their Orange Label flasher OBD2 device, which is purchasable from Burger Motorsports, an Android or Apple device to connect to it, and a license purchased off of MHD's website. Also, did I mention the MHD user experience being incredibly simple and easy? It's silly how easy it is to use MHD.

One thing is for certain, your ECU is going to need to be bench unlocked, which means you're going to have to mail it out to someone, or drive to a shop that has the ability to bench unlock it. CES I know for certain can do this, obviously because they did it for me and many others. I found out about CES through Thic Whips Youtube channel. The shop and owner are great people and are very capable and knowledgeable.

As far as MHD's tuning functionality and reliability, when they first started diving into the 2020 and 2021 Supra world, they may have been a bit behind the curve and may have received some negative reviews here and there. But I can attest to the fact that since then they have made great progress, and here very recently, they have completely redone all of their OTS maps, and I am someone who was lucky enough to Beta test them. Their 93 Octane stage 2 as well as the stage 2 E40 OTS maps, are fantastic!! Lots of people used to run into Limp mode issues on their OTS Ethanol blend tunes, myself included when I tried using their OTS E50 map, and all of this has been fixed in their newly revised tunes that will be released in the next couple of weeks. Just to clarify, their current 93 Octane Stage 2 tune is damn near flawless, and they even managed to improve upon it in this new beta map.

As far as Soho goes, I haven't personally used them but other Youtubers have and seem to have great results from them via EcuTek Tuning. Basically any shop worth their salt, that is familiar with a tuning software platform, can install any of these OTS tunes for you, and Soho specializes in EcuTek, so it doesn't matter if they specialize in the Supra world or not, they will be able to install the EcuTek tune for your Supra just as if it were a GTR or Z chassis car.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, with the MHD Super license, this allows you access to any current and future OTS Maps that they release, which currently includes a Stage 2 93 Octane pump tune, and for 2020 MY cars, an E30 blend Ethanol map. For 2021 MY cars, there's an E40 Blend OTS map. So basically, at any point in time, if you decide that the 93 octane tune has gotten boring, you can go mix from Ethanol and flash over to an E blend tune without having to contact anyone, at all. You just use the MHD OBD2 adapter and your app to flash the tune yourself.
GREAT info...
I definitely want something user friendly...I'm not the most tech savvy person...
I also want a safe tune...like I said I'm not looking for the most power...just a little more...

I think I'll reach out to CES this week....

Just curious if you think it's worth tuning a completely stock car...
I know most gains are with a catless downpipe but I'm not changing mine out...

Thanks again
Steve

Reactions: zrk

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
GREAT info...
I definitely want something user friendly...I'm not the most tech savvy person...
I also want a safe tune...like I said I'm not looking for the most power...just a little more...

I think I'll reach out to CES this week....

Just curious if you think it's worth tuning a completely stock car...
I know most gains are with a catless downpipe but I'm not changing mine out...

Thanks again
Steve
You will most certainly see some gains with a tune, but not like what you would see if you were stage 2 with a downpipe. I highly recommend grabbing whatever Catted Downpipe you can get before going through with this. MHD has a built in feature of their software that disables the ECU's ability to throw a check engine light due to the factory cat being missing. If that's your worry, toss it to the wayside, that check engine light will never appear with MHD. This is just another tiny feature that's available to you when using MHD. There's literally a check box that you can enable or disable that turns off the check engine light for cats.

If your worry is exhaust gas smell, get an aftermarket catted DP man, the difference with the stage 2 tune is worth the money! Just so you know, stage 2 doesn't mean you need to be catted or catless, it just means that you have a larger diameter aftermarket downpipe. There is almost no difference in the gains between catted and catless. I simply went catless because CES had one on hand when I went to get tuned.

OP
OP

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You will most certainly see some gains with a tune, but not like what you would see if you were stage 2 with a downpipe. I highly recommend grabbing whatever Catted Downpipe you can get before going through with this. MHD has a built in feature of their software that disables the ECU's ability to throw a check engine light due to the factory cat being missing. If that's your worry, toss it to the wayside, that check engine light will never appear with MHD. This is just another tiny feature that's available to you when using MHD. There's literally a check box that you can enable or disable that turns off the check engine light for cats.

If your worry is exhaust gas smell, get an aftermarket catted DP man, the difference with the stage 2 tune is worth the money! Just so you know, stage 2 doesn't mean you need to be catted or catless, it just means that you have a larger diameter aftermarket downpipe. There is almost no difference in the gains between catted and catless. I simply went catless because CES had one on hand when I went to get tuned.

My worry is 100% the smell ( my 86 911 was catless and the smell does get old)...

I may look into a catted downpipe....

Thanks for all the info...gives me a starting point for a little research...

Steve

OP
OP

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I need to double Check mine. I have a build date 6/20 and I thought my ecu was 6/15/20 but I could have misread it.... I do need glasses hahaha
I hope for you you're just blind n that read 20-3-15...lol..

Good luck..

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Very easy. pop the cover and I was able to pop clip and slide up far enough to take a quick photo with out undoing any. top wire harness stuff. Slow and gentle.
My neighbor is a proctologist so I had him use his endoscope to get my ECU date workout even undoing the clips. Just a little Kentucky Jelly and he can get that thing into any crack, yours or your car’s.

Oh, and proctologists enjoy jokes about corn less than you might have guessed.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Maybe if you stop to take off your shoes and pants in the middle of. 30 seconds, tops.
I was including waking out to the car, popping the hood, closing the hood, locking the car, and walking back inside as part of that 5 min. Even then it’s a bit conservative I admit…

Reactions: zrk

Boblay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra, F82 M4
Damn I’m wondering if it’s worth trying my luck with my 6/6/20 ecu. Is there any places in the LA where I could put mine on a bench and check? I know there’s a few unicorn ecus with the same date that were possible to unlock.

OP
OP

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Take your car to either Soho or CES Motorsport in Monroe NC. Both of them have the ability to bench unlock and both of them can tune you on either MHD, ECUTek, or Bootmode 3. I live in Savannah Ga and I made the drive to CES. They sold me a catless DP, bench unlocked my car, and set me up with MHD's Stage 2 93 octane tune. Great shop, great guys. I'm currently working with MHD dialing in a custom E50 tune atm and the car is running spectacularly.
Spoke with John @CES...
I go in November 12 for my tune..
MHD 93 octane stage 1...(ots)
Just not ready to change my downpipe out...that gas/oil smell gets old pretty quick...
Either way John said I should see a good bump in horsepower/torque #s...
We're gonna do a stock dase dyno run..
Then we'll do a tuned dyno run..

I'll post back what numbers we get with a 2021 a91 edition...

Steve

JDM BLKBMW

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Edition Black, Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400R
I'm a 06-06-20 DME date. Wonder if I have a chance of being unlocked? I'm about an hour away from CES and SOHO.
Sponsored