Thinking about upgrading sway bars? Not sure if you want to do front vs both? Here are my thoughts after installing only front sway, and then both

Tugg Speedman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Hey all,

I didn't see much in-depth reviews on upgrading the sway bars, so I thought I could add some food for thought.
I installed the front bar first, and then about 6 months later added the rear.

Front bar:
aFe front sway bar
29 mm tubular steel (OEM 24 mm tubular)

Steering weight feels heftier, feels like it should have been this way from the factory.
Less body roll, the front feels much more solid and planted when loading up the suspension in a corner.
Turn-in is ever so slightly delayed, front doesn't feel quite as darty.
Going over uneven bumps rocks the cabin more, but the dampers do a good job of smoothing things out.
Ride quality is actually pretty good, with the exception of big drops, either from going fast down a hill that bottoms out, or from a pothole. Those cause you to get compressed downwards and your gut gets lightly punched by gravity. A big one can make you feel winded momentarily.

Pushing the car hard into chicanes and switchbacks, the car feels really confidence-inspiring. Previously, the rear always felt a bit twitchy and floaty, both at high speed and when cornering. Both were improved a lot after the front sway. In many ways, it feels safer and more idiot-proof with more understeer. I'm really able to push the car because I have less fear of the rear coming around.

Rear bar:
Whiteline rear sway bar
18 mm solid steel (OEM 18 mm tubular)

Wow, now the car really feels like one solid piece. The car feels much more reactive, but also feels more edgy.
The ride is a step worse over uneven road, bumps, and potholes. They rock the cabin more and impacts are louder and harsher by about 50% over stock.
I had oversteer on braking into a turn that I didn't have before with similar brake pressure and just the front sway bar.
So the car is more sensitive to throttle/brake inputs with both sways.
Also, the car feels a bit skatey over bumps at speed. Instead of the rear suspension moving up and down with the bumps, the wheels can bounce and lose contact and then skid.

I was hoping it would reduce negative camber on launch, but I didn't notice any real difference in traction using launch control, still spins the shit out of the tires.
In Sport mode, steering is a bit too heavy at parking lot speeds. It feels almost as heavy as Sport+ in the M2, a bit much.

Overall, I actually preferred it with just the front bar, largely because it did not feel skatey over a bunch of bumps like it does now. I liked how there was a little bit of understeer to slow things down and you can use the throttle and quick steering to rotate. But I'm gonna adjust the rear and see if it feels different.
Sponsored

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
I did HKS Springs, Verus Camber Plates, Eibach front and rear sway bars with AFE end links and alignment. Car feels like a go cart and handling is awesome. Street and Track driven. Front and rear Sway bars and Front Camber plates would be a great start to otherwise stock suspension. There's alot of info in the track section on suspension.

race-tracking-your-supra-information-exchange.16389

Oodis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MT GR Supra
Bloke,

Most people who track seem to use eibach sways, i do as well and they made a huge difference in feel for the car for me. Basically feels more planted and willing to be pushed harder.

Do front and rear yes it sucks dropping subframe but that's how this car rolls.

Cheers

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
Good info, wish the rear sway bar install was not the huge burden it is. DO you have lowering springs or coilovers?

chuckyl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miata Nd, Stinger Base and 2021 Supra
Tugg,
I went with the Eibach Pro-Plus kit and couldn't be happier. I do enjoy the back road twisties here in Tx. but the car sits rather low.

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
Tugg,
I went with the Eibach Pro-Plus kit and couldn't be happier. I do enjoy the back road twisties here in Tx. but the car sits rather low.
Springs + bars?

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
Note the sway bar has 0 function when going straight over bumps. It only functions under under roll or difference between left and right suspension travel.

Sway bar function:

OP
OP

Tugg Speedman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Good info, wish the rear sway bar install was not the huge burden it is. DO you have lowering springs or coilovers?
No, I initially wanted to do springs to keep the OEM dampers. But decided to try out sway bars first, since I don't really want to lower the car. HKS adjustable minimum drop is 0.5", for example. And honestly, I'm pretty happy with them, so I don't see a need to go for springs/coilovers.

Oodis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MT GR Supra
No, I initially wanted to do springs to keep the OEM dampers. But decided to try out sway bars first, since I don't really want to lower the car. HKS adjustable minimum drop is 0.5", for example. And honestly, I'm pretty happy with them, so I don't see a need to go for springs/coilovers.
Bloke

If you do decide to drop the rear sub frame and do sway bars i recommend you change the orientation for the rear lateral links bolts while you have the frame dropped, that way if you do decide to upgrade the handling more with adjustable links at a later time you dont need to drop the sub frame again.

Food for thought

Cheers

Sub-MkV

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
I have the exact front sway bar(AFE) and everything you said is on point. I don't feel the need for a rear sway bar because the car is so much sharper with the bar and 1.2 inch Vogtland lowering springs I bought.

OP
OP

Tugg Speedman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Bloke

If you do decide to drop the rear sub frame and do sway bars i recommend you change the orientation for the rear lateral links bolts while you have the frame dropped, that way if you do decide to upgrade the handling more with adjustable links at a later time you dont need to drop the sub frame again.

Food for thought

Cheers
Doh! Great advice. Unfortunately, I’ve already done the rear and did not think of that 🤦

OP
OP

Tugg Speedman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Note the sway bar has 0 function when going straight over bumps. It only functions under under roll or difference between left and right suspension travel.

Sway bar function:

Yes, you are correct, but the skidding/bouncing I mentioned was happening when going into corners with a big hump/dip on one side, or a bunch of smaller bumps, which I encounter sometimes in backroads driving

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
Yes, you are correct, but the skidding/bouncing I mentioned was happening when going into corners with a big hump/dip on one side, or a bunch of smaller bumps, which I encounter sometimes in backroads driving
are you on oem suspension? if wheels are skipping/skidding over bumps when turning, that's probably more related to the suspension not being able to soak up the bumps. you may have too much high speed rebound, which can cause the wheels to hop instead of soaking the bump.

sway bar redistributes corner loads between front and rear, which results in adding or reducing understeer/oversteer. the shocks/springs control more of the bumps.
Sponsored