Throttle hesitation

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I think all the Supras are communicating to each other through Supra connect and just messing with random
Owners for fun.
The AI has taken over! SkyNet is now SupraNet! We're all DOOMED :spaz:

Hywired

First Name
Vago
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium “Turbulence Gray”
Yes pulling out and having those three or four seconds of the car having no power seem like a lifetime just waiting to get hit. If you don’t mind me asking what year and model Supra do you have?

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Has everyone experiencing throttle hesitation had the brakes recall done? Because I use to have this problem before the recall and have not had it since. While it would happen rarely for me, I haven't had it since and I wonder if the recall had something to do with it, or if it is just a coincidence
One of the only times I've had it was actually pulling away from the dealership after getting the brake recall done. I had to pull into a parking spot and turn it off and back on again, because that usually fixes electronics, right? I also let the car warm up properly and pulled away with it functioning normally.

Last edited:

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Had this happen for the first time today, I think, and wow it can be bad!

Cold start, didn't really let the car warm up much, gently reversed slightly uphill off the driveway and turned onto the road which is also slightly uphill, switched to drive and went to gently pull away, and the car just burbled and wouldn't go much above 1k rpm. Switching to park (and the engine then turned off with the start/stop) and back to drive, and it was fine after that.

I've occasionally had the car feel sluggish off the line in 1st but I put that down to me being extremely gentle on the throttle. Maybe it's been this issue all along.

Rang Toyota asking about I-Level updates as that sounds a promising solution and well, they're useless in the UK, just told me there are no recalls on the car, and didn't listen when I tried to explain they just needed to hook it up to ISTA and it'd prompt them to update... :) Might just do it myself

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Had this happen for the first time today, I think, and wow it can be bad!

Cold start, didn't really let the car warm up much, gently reversed slightly uphill off the driveway and turned onto the road which is also slightly uphill, switched to drive and went to gently pull away, and the car just burbled and wouldn't go much above 1k rpm. Switching to park (and the engine then turned off with the start/stop) and back to drive, and it was fine after that.

I've occasionally had the car feel sluggish off the line in 1st but I put that down to me being extremely gentle on the throttle. Maybe it's been this issue all along.

Rang Toyota asking about I-Level updates as that sounds a promising solution and well, they're useless in the UK, just told me there are no recalls on the car, and didn't listen when I tried to explain they just needed to hook it up to ISTA and it'd prompt them to update... :) Might just do it myself

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sure, but it's never happened before as a result of this. It's not like I'm ragging it seconds after startup, just rolling.

No other B58 car needs that treatment, nor should this one

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Sure, but it's never happened before as a result of this. It's not like I'm ragging it seconds after startup, just rolling.

No other B58 car needs that treatment, nor should this one
Oh I agree. It just seems to be a commonly cited cause in this thread. I hope it gets figured out. If I didn't let my car idle for 15mins before taking it out it would probably do it too. I'm must lucky in that it's not my daily driver so I can do that.

Reactions: JP_

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I, at most, idle my vehicle for max 5 minutes before I start driving it.
And still after the latest ISTA update (see few posts back), I do not have the throttle hesitation anymore.

Just a side note: the mentioned update is an update that is newer than the brake recall one.

I did the update specifically because I heard rumors of the Z4 having it fixed by update.

So as far as I know it gets fixed with an update (S18T-22-03-535 and probably above) but to recapitulate for those not willing to update, there are some possible workarounds mentioned in this thread:
- Idle vehicle per manual instructions (15mins-ish)
- Traction Control Off

Last edited:

tjk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
May be unrelated but I think after I've set the car to sport individual mode by default (only have the engine in sport, the rest normal) I rarely had the issue.

Also, I simply changed the way I back out of the garage on that slope, avoiding one wheel getting air at all. Never had an issue when wheels stay in contact. By now I'm pretty sure it's a TC-related issue.

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I, at most, idle my vehicle for max 5 minutes before I start driving it.
And still after the latest ISTA update (see few posts back), I do not have the throttle hesitation anymore.

Just a side note: the mentioned update is an update that is newer than the brake recall one.

I did the update specifically because I heard rumors of the Z4 having it fixed by update.

So as far as I know it gets fixed with an update (S18T-22-03-535 and probably above) but to recoup for those not willing to update, there are some possible workarounds mentioned in this thread:
- Idle vehicle per manual instructions (15mins-ish)
- Traction Control Off
I've performed the update to this ilevel myself today. Will report back in a few weeks with my findings. Certainly didn't have the issue immediately in the same circumstances as before though, after updating. We'll see

Jaxness

First Name
Jax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxness.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra LE #1292, 2012 Yamaha R6
Also been dealing with this issue for a couple months.

I have basic bolt-on mods and the MHD tune.

Cold start, warmed up, sport mode, non-sport mode, doesn't matter. This intermittent throttle hesitation not only pisses me off, but also makes me concerned for the times I'm pulling out into traffic and not knowing if I'll be able to accelerate quick enough to match the speed of traffic before someone is on my ass.

I don't really want to turn TC off for daily driving, so I'll wait and see if a couple more people have any success with a dealership update before I give that a go.

Or I might just deal with it until I trade up to manual transmission 2023.

SkySupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0
Also been dealing with this issue for a couple months.

I have basic bolt-on mods and the MHD tune.

Cold start, warmed up, sport mode, non-sport mode, doesn't matter. This intermittent throttle hesitation not only pisses me off, but also makes me concerned for the times I'm pulling out into traffic and not knowing if I'll be able to accelerate quick enough to match the speed of traffic before someone is on my ass.

I don't really want to turn TC off for daily driving, so I'll wait and see if a couple more people have any success with a dealership update before I give that a go.

Or I might just deal with it until I trade up to manual transmission 2023.
Based on my experience, the problem usually happens within the first 5-10 minutes of driving and usually from a stop. If you know you need to cross into a busy intersection right away, no harm in turning TC off and then turn it back on after you merge into traffic.

Jaxness

First Name
Jax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxness.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra LE #1292, 2012 Yamaha R6
Based on my experience, the problem usually happens within the first 5-10 minutes of driving and usually from a stop. If you know you need to cross into a busy intersection right away, no harm in turning TC off and then turn it back on after you merge into traffic.
I've had it happen intermittently throughout an entire day of driving around, about 2-3 hours total. With the amount we pay for these things, I shouldn't need to press buttons to get it to operate normally. I had hoped I got rid of that issue once I stopped tearing cars down to their rod bearings. :banghead:
Sponsored