• Total voters

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
I considered trading my A91-MT with delivery miles for a 981 GT4.

My thoughts:

It's kinda a half assed GT product with the motor they chose to use.

Interior is cramped and the buckets while awesome, are not something I'd wanna use often.

Shifter is great.

It's not particularly fast, hell my E46 M3 felt faster (is faster, but it's heavily modified).

If I wanted a great platform to build on and keep it forever, it's a fantastic car.

But when GT4's cost slightly less than a 997 GT3, yea no.
Sponsored

e_iva

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 3.0 Premium
As others have said, you should definitely drive the GT4 in advance if possible. The gearing is really tall, though the shifter is incredible. What is the spec of this particular car @Supraman91?

At one point, a few years ago, my dad had both a 981 GT4 and a 991 GT3. Both had the buckets, which I wouldn’t think of forgoing if given the chance.
IMG_0312.jpeg

e_iva

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 3.0 Premium
Is it a gt4 rs? You got photos? How many miles? What year?
OP says it’s a 981, so it’s a 2016 and not an RS. The 718 GT4 is effectively a heavy facelift and is available in manual or PDK, as well as in the RS variant. But I’m definitely with you about wanting more details!

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
For street and daily enjoyment would recommend sticking with the Supra. For daily and mixed track use I view the G82 M2. If track/autox GT4 will be best tool for that job.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra A91 (Refraction)
If you can't have both, keep what you already have. Porsche cars have become astronomical price-wise for most people more than ever before.
Yes—the “P” tax. Though I think the GT4 are going to stay where they’re at or go up because the platform going electric.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
OP says it’s a 981, so it’s a 2016 and not an RS. The 718 GT4 is effectively a heavy facelift and is available in manual or PDK, as well as in the RS variant. But I’m definitely with you about wanting more details!
Yes, it’s a 981 2016 GT4 with the buckets and Ceramic Breaks. Great spec.

Vertex

First Name
Vertex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Supra Matte Storm Gray
Personally I would do whatever you think you would have more fun driving and keeping long term. I also would not look at either vehicle as far as an investment you're looking to make money on if that is what you meant when comparing the mkV to the mkIV as far as holding value etc.

Get whatever you will enjoy driving more and have fun in for sure! If you do a fair amount of track/autocross etc seems like those GT4s are one of the better cars to get into if you can afford it and that's your goal.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This really boils down to what your use case is. The Supra slaps, for relatively very few $, this car be easily hit 500-600whp and almost the same on the TQ side. It pulls like a freight train, i'm not sure you're going to find that same experience in the GT4. Street manners of the Supra is great however you could track if if you wanted to though it's lap times would pale in comparison to The GT4. The GT4 is going to shake your fillings lose on the street though and you'll have to wind the hell ouf of the motor to stay in the power band. IMHO, i think the MKV Supras will be collectable at some point in long range, they are only punching out like 2500 a year on average (to the best of my knowledge), that's nothing. At the end of the day, if you want to track the car a bunch and you want the Porsche hardcore driving characteristics, go for it. The Porsche is guaranteed to retain it's value and likely increase as well and at any point if you want to get out, you can just list it on Bring a Porsche and you'll be able to sell it no problem. 🙃
That’s the big argument for me against the GT4 as I definitely want to bring it out on the track but not super often as I’d rather get a cheap beater to track a lot and have not as much risk. People say the GT4 is a blast on backroads but not a practical casual driver due to its lack of isolation, gearing, and overall race car characteristics.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well show us some pics! If it's at a dealer or something, redact that info so no one can buy it out from under you.
I got you. Ironically, there are only 138 “Carmine red” GT4s making it rarer than the Supra on paper. Obviously not a special edition though. It has buckets and PCCBs too—well speced.

IMG_9547.jpeg

IMG_9548.jpeg

IMG_9543.jpeg

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Personally I would do whatever you think you would have more fun driving and keeping long term. I also would not look at either vehicle as far as an investment you're looking to make money on if that is what you meant when comparing the mkV to the mkIV as far as holding value etc.

Get whatever you will enjoy driving more and have fun in for sure! If you do a fair amount of track/autocross etc seems like those GT4s are one of the better cars to get into if you can afford it and that's your goal.
Certainly. Care about a cool car more than anything. If not a car, buy BTC!

cbrummell

First Name
carson
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 nitro yellow supra 3.0 premium
i think no matter what anyone on here says it won't justify or gratify whatever choice YOU end up making.

the A91 edition is one of the most special of all of the limited editions because of the unique colour that was only available on the "A91" nobody can predict the future when it comes to value of a car but there's a few factors that normally contribute to cars that appreciate

- rarity (you have one of the rarest colours)

-exclusivity (they only made the "A91 EDITION" for 1 year)

- condition (you have low miles and have claimed to baby the car)

- lineage (ford gt for example it has a rich history with previous models so when the new one came out is already had big pull just by attaching the "gt" nameplate, The "supra" nameplate is well known and i don't see it fading into the distance)

given all of that its a personal choice you need to sort out on your own because you're the one owning it. the GT4 is a great car but it also has some known flaws like the gearing and the inherent nature of the motor being naturally aspirated. there is fixes to all of those problem but they are expensive and major. fixing the gearing requires a new gear set in the trans which is available but big money. if you get bored of the power your looking at 5 figures worth of mods to pick up maybe 50whp on the n/a setup or a deman stroker motor which is worth close to what a supra costs...

in terms of holding value a little more the 981 cayman gt4 is no longer the top of the food chain in terms of desirable caymans, it will hold its value because of it being a gt car but i don't see them going to a point of being worth more than msrp the 718 will likely be the end of the line for raw flat 6 caymans and those will likely be the ones that appreciate but 981 will just remain as a "cool" older porsche with age.

the supra on the other hand is one of the best "starting point" chassis's on sale today toyota/bmw gifted us with an amazing platform and it's up to the buyer to add more front camber , bigger tires and to turn up the power which turns the car into an entirely different animal. you basically bought the best modifiable car and haven't modded it... in my opinion you really have initialized its real potential yet.

end of the day if you aren't looking to touch the car and you intend on driving the car on occasion i think the GT4 provides much more "experience" if it's going to be a toy. engine vibration, high revving power, manual trans, specialty engine are all loads of fun when the car is a weekend toy but most of those get old quickly if your using it daily or frequently.

the supra shines in the aspect that it can be completely mundane when you want it to be, click two buttons and it's the brutally capable sports car you need it be. i daily my supra and the ability to turn on cruise control sit back and get 35+ mpg on the way to work is great but if your using it as a toy it might be its biggest fault, it's too comfortable and might lack a bit of fizz that you want to feel on weekend drives.

i think you know the answer in your head is cayman but you won't get too much reassurance in here from "supra fans/owners"

i think some front control arms, sway bars, tires and a pure800 would make you forget the word cayman ever existed but if that's not your thing than you can switch the cayman and have your fun!

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
I don’t want to make a mistake here!

Quick info on my car too:

Babied.
What’s your definition of “mistake” in this context? That should help clear up your answer.

And if neither are tracked, the Supra would likely be more fun day to day.

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
In my opinion, the GT4 will be apart of the line up for the foreseeable future with Porsche. Things may change on manual vs auto, ICE vs electric but i'm sure the GT4 will be apart of the line up. With that being the case, the Supra may not have a future. Porsche will hold its value as it has been but also the GT4 is a more track focused car over the Grand Touring Supra.

Also, i wouldn't hesitate to let go of the Supra for a 911 GT3 so yeah. Haha.
Sponsored