Toyota confirms Supra revival concept for 2016 reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think I’m safe in saying that’s what most of us are really wanting. I think a rear transaxle transmission + the retractable spoiler would be the icing on top. They did it with the LFA in 2010, so fingers crossed that same technology/engineering trickles down to this car almost 8+ years later (old technology :p).
Sponsored

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Hopefully they will keep the Supra bare bones. Good chassis. Great seats (like the FR-S). Driver oriented dashboard (virtual cockpit would be okay). A manual would be amazing. I'm not a DCT fan. Geez .... it needs over 400 hp to be relevant. I view the corvette as the competition.

As for price. Keep it below the Lexus, butttttttttt ....... performance should be better with the Supra. The Lexus can be the heavy weight with all the luxury items, sound deadening, etc. etc.

For me .... I've always said. I just want an 86 on steroids. No fluff. Just a great car.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Honestly, I am more interested in S-FR if 15K. GT86 is too expensive for me as a build project. I could not pull the trigger on making a GT86 build, and Miata is not a Coupe.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Honestly, I am more interested in S-FR if 15K. GT86 is too expensive for me as a build project. I could not pull the trigger on making a GT86 build, and Miata is not a Coupe.
why not a used GT86? I'm sure there are plenty of used/abused ones, perfect for a project/track car, that are cheaper than 15 K..

Last edited:

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I think that I would be equally happy with either of them, until I'm in my SFR and pull up next to a Supra. For that matter though, I had a '75 Celica GT that was probably more fun than any of them will be. Should have just kept that if we're being reasonable.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I think that I would be equally happy with either of them, until I'm in my SFR and pull up next to a Supra. For that matter though, I had a '75 Celica GT that was probably more fun than any of them will be. Should have just kept that if we're being reasonable.
why do you think drift king still plays with his ancient ae86? for many driving a slow car fast is more enjoyable

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I doubt it...seems like someone just put something together based on the rumors. The pics used are of the FT-1. Headlight has no lense cover. Plus a brochure takes time but I don't think 1-2 years before the car is released, especially when all the cars specs have not been finalized.

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like I have seen those pictures before. But Moto1 seems serious about it. Lol

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
The only thing that I don't mind by this fake news is the weight and the dimensions.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1108845_alleged-brochure-for-new-toyota-supra-leaked

An image alleged to be the scan of a brochure for the upcoming Toyota sports car thought to be reviving the Supra name has surfaced on the website Auto.Blog.rs.

In addition to revealing that the sports car will in fact be called a Supra, the scan, if accurate, reveals a number of other key details including design elements, powertrains and Gazoo Racing links.

The text is in Japanese but Motor1 reports that the information provided mentions three powertrains, though none with rumored hybrid technology.

The powertrains are said to be sourced from BMW and include turbocharged 2.0- and 3.0-liter units. The 2.0-liter is said to offer outputs of 192 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque and 252 hp and 295 lb-ft, while the 3.0-liter is said to output 340 hp and 332 lb-ft. The numbers for the 2.0-liter engine match outputs of current BMW models, though the same can’t be said for the numbers of the 3.0-liter engine.

The text also reveals that the new Supra will have a length of 172 inches, a width of 72 in and a height of 50 in. That would make it slightly longer and wider than the Toyota 86 but with a similar height. We also learn that depending on the powertrain the weight will vary between 2,976 and 3,152 pounds, and that buyers will have the choice of 18- or 19-in wheels.

A headlight and part of the front bumper is also shown. The headlight features a similar shape to the unit on Toyota’s FT-1 concept from 2014 (shown below), which previewed the design. We can also see that the car in the brochure maintains the air curtains and pronounced nose of the concept.

Finally, the brochure features the “GR” logo of the Gazoo Racing team, which corroborates reports that the car will be part of a new Gazoo Racing performance sub-brand, possibly called the GR Garage, as indicated in the brochure. The Gazoo name comes from an online car hub launched by Toyota in the early days of the Internet. Over the years the name has become synonymous with “garage” in Japan and today is tied with the official motorsport division for both Toyota and Lexus globally.

The new Supra is expected to be given a preview showing during October’s 2017 Tokyo auto show. It is expected on sale in 2018, as a 2019 model. Its platform will also spawn BMW’s replacement for the Z4.

Last edited:

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. I'd let Motor1 know but I was suckered into their clickbait as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.