Toyota Crown Returns to the US with Bold Style and New Hybrid Max Powertrain

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
I don't see why they would bring crown to us market. When camry and corolla both are derived from words in Japanese that mean crown. Have 3 vehicles that all come from crown in Japanese? Seems unlikely to me. I know my plant is making a new larger suv in Toyota and Lexus badges.
Sponsored

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
100% it’s coming, just got confirmation from my Toyota factory rep!

GR_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium, '90 NA Miata, '05 Saab 92x
Toyota already has a similar shape vehicle: the Mirai. I expect similar design language.

The Mirai is on the TNGA-L platform which is RWD/AWD and used by the JDM Crown. The Crown we are getting in the North America will likely be on the Camry's TNGA-K platform which is FWD/AWD.

Toyota seems to be adding some stylish, upmarket options into the lineup. The Venza is a slightly upmarket RAV4. The Crown might be a slightly upmarket Camry (like the Avalon was?). At least , these could be options to stand out from the crowd a little. (I personally like that there aren't a lot of other Supras around.) These also overlap with a Lexus NX and ES models, but maybe that allows Lexus to focus on being more premium?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Just leaked earlier this morning.

20220714_123147-jpg.jpg
That looks a little better than the previous rumor images. I still wish it weren't so high riding as it is but at least it's not the Highlander/Rav4-sized thing that it was speculated to be.

That being said, I wonder well the suspension will take to being lowered 4-5 inches.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
toyota-crown-sedan-concept_100848014_h.jpg

^^ This proper sedan version of the Crown looks MUCH better. No immediate modifications needed in order to get rid of the crossover ugliness of the one we'll get in the U.S. It's very annoying that it won't come here.

Come to think of it, if these are all built on the same core vehicle platform it would be interesting if the JDM Crown sedan's suspension subframes and control arms / struts / multi-link arms / wishbones (whatever style suspension these have) and drive axles will bolt right on to the U.S. crossover version so as to bring it down to the JDM sedan's ride height with all the correct JDM sedan suspension geometry.

The body shape is still compromised in the U.S. crossover version vs the superior JDM sedan version's shape but getting rid of the totally unnecessary tall ride height would be a big improvement on its own.

That would be a very costly project that would surely void the warranty but so far it's not like Toyota is giving us such an option here.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
While the U.S. gets shafted out of receiving the regular Crown sedan, we appear to be in line for a Crown coupe (traditional low slung style) and possibly a convertible version of that coupe!

Antiq8ted_Ex0

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Coupe looks great, I may need a new daily.