Toyota FT-1 concept & A90 Supra design dissected

Do you care if the next Supra has a "corporate image?"

• No, as long as it looks good, I don't care if the rest of Toyota's line up is designed around it.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, the Supra should be completely unique looking even among Toyota's fleet.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Don't care as long as the Supra is the "first" to get the design.

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
I saw a gray i8 today, sadly I wasn't too impress :/

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
^^^ if that passes safety standards, then I got high hopes that the FT-1 design will make it in mostly its current form.

Loyo911

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
X5
Here's a render with an even more toned down nose :(

ft1supra-jpg.jpg
I would hope that the front ends up more distinctive than that. Hardly resembles the FT-1 front styling except for the headlight shape.

Targa form looks good though.

fox body

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pogo Stick
Yea they are calling it Fusionstang all over the boards. It's not like people don't know that Ford makes the Mustang why make it look like their boring sedan?
Yet they are selling like hotcakes now.

Like the Mustang, people will bitch and complain but at the end of the day they will buy it anyway if it looks good and performs.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Intersting. Hadn't even thought of the fact that the design hasn't been performance tested in a wind tunnel. So even if we like the front end design and it passes safety standards it may or may not work well for aerodynamics :dunno:
In this video with Calty designers, they say that they designed every single line, fold, crevice etc with aerodynamics in mind and for maximum downforce. Even though they're designers and not engineers, I'm sure they have some kind of aerodynamics modeling ability on their computers to say that they designed with aerodynamics in mind.

Likely means that the current design would do well in the wind tunnel.

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
In this video with Calty designers, they say that they designed every single line, fold, crevice etc with aerodynamics in mind and for maximum downforce. Even though they're designers and not engineers, I'm sure they have some kind of aerodynamics modeling ability on their computers to say that they designed with aerodynamics in mind.

Likely means that the current design would do well in the wind tunnel.

Good catch. Definitely doesn't sound like the concept's lines were drawn without any consideration of engineering. That's a good sign that maybe the styling can mostly stay as-is. And good god does the car look stunning in motion.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
X2, as long as it looks good it doesn't matter too me.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
It's shaped like the Enzo and other exotics so I doubt it would have much trouble in a wind tunnel. Probably have a harder time with safety tests if I had to guess.
x2, its not like they made something like this...

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
*WARNING!!! - Lots of pics involved*
Nothing Official! This is just a few things that I've gathered from things Toyota has done/said, what their new line ups are looking like and renderings of what the production version of this car might actually have. All based on my opinion by the way.

To start off sources have pointed out that the next Toyota Sports car (Supra Successor) will be made from cues off the FT-1.

1) The front (the nose) - The front has been controversial, even Jay Leno himself brought up this point. Whether it's subjective to looks or safety regulations.

- Toyota has been recently integrating the a black mouth/grill lately to it's Toyota Corolla, Camry, and Avalon. Sort of like what Lexus did a few yrs ago introducing their grill which is now on almost all their cars.
2015_toyota_corolla_f34_carnews_91914_600.jpg

upload_2015-3-1_17-40-51.png

- This is a rendering of what the next Supra may look like which came out in July 2013 (before FT-1 and the cars above came out) which also talks about Tada San working with BMW (http://www.autox.in/features/exclusive-stories/toyota-tetsuya-tada/). I don't think everything in the article is accurate but the front of this rendering sure does resemble the FT-1 headlamps a bit as well as the front of some of their newer line ups.

feature-quattroruote-toyota-july2013-pic7.jpg

2014_Toyota_FT-1_Concept_NAIASs.jpg

- And here is their latest Toyota Mirai (the future) which has a similar front to the rendering above as well as similar head lamps on the FT-1:
2016_Toyota_Fuel_Cell_Vehicle_022.jpg

Based on what the front of their new line ups are looking like and the release of the Toyota Mirai, I believe the front will be closer to what that rendering looks like probably make it closer to the FT-1 front curves without the FT-1 nose. Some have said they can revise the nose, but not sure it can look any better than what is on the FT-1.

2 - The Side profile: What I see changing is the sharp lines, mirrors, and the side scoops will change. The mirrors will probably be the same as the ones on the RC-F/FRS/LFA. The side will look closer to the the the LFA + LF-LC were they can share the side skirt scoop and probably add a front fender scoop but not as dramatic on the FT-1 which goes around the hood. I believe the wide shoulders will remain as this will make the car look strong/powerful (resemblance of the MKIV Supra)

Toyota-FT1-at-Cars-and-Coffee-Irvine-Photo-by-@jdmzipties.jpg

slide1.jpg

8587200381_8ee501a8a5_z.jpg

3 - The rear: The rear will most likely remain the same except the scoops, exhaust position, possibly lights. The scoops will either be gone or made smaller than they are. Exhaust may be position to come out by the diffuser rather than bumper (maybe). Now the lights may change but not too much. If you look at the rear lights of the New Toyota Mirai, you can somewhat see a similar shape to FT-1 rear lights except much larger and they are LED as well. So they may stay and just make them a tad larger from the concept and add inner amber turn signals. (I believe/hope the retractable spoiler stays). This car is the future so why not add a retractable spoiler that will be there only when you need it for function purpose and look cool. Can't see the duck tail being high and a stable spoiler added.

toyota-ft1-tail.jpg

2016-toyota-mirai-rear-taillight.jpg

Just my personal thoughts on things that have been said and so on about this car. I wouldn't mind it looking like the FT-1 at all but can't see them making the FT-1 as is design wise + a kick ass engine for $50-60K hinted price tag. Sorry for the long post + several pics. Nothing new has really come out besides the same rumors. Just thought something different like this would be cool.

Feel free to add your opinions, comments, what you agree + disagree, etc.

Last edited:

NeroZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S Release Series 1
Good post :thumbsup:

I agree with most of what you said. I believe the FT-1 front end will change the most from the concept and that photoshop is actually one of the best ideas to date.

feature-quattroruote-toyota-july2013-pic7.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.