Toyota GR Supra Races Into 2021 with More Power and First-Ever Four-Cylinder Turbo Model

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Thought this might be of interest...Here's a baseline comparison of the new Z4 vs A90 Supra. All runs are on CA 91 octane, measured at the wheels on a dynojet. This was posted on Z4forum...

z4 vs 2020.jpg
With those subtle differences I'd be quite surprised if anyone driving a MY20 and a MY21 back to back could even tell the differences... maybe if they were racing each other... but not in separate driving sessions. Even in a race there would have to be near equal reaction times for it not to effect the outcome as much as the extra ~8% HP difference would.

Naturally, regardless of which engine you had... a DP and tune alone would make a much more significant difference.
Sponsored

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
With those subtle differences I'd be quite surprised if anyone driving a MY20 and a MY21 back to back could even tell the differences... maybe if they were racing each other... but not in separate driving sessions. Even in a race there would have to be near equal reaction times for it not to effect the outcome as much as the extra ~8% HP difference would.

Naturally, regardless of which engine you had... a DP and tune alone would make a much more significant difference.
I agree...

For those that primarily use their 2020 Supra as a daily driver they are really not going to be missing out on much and probably wouldn't even notice the difference....But it is interesting to note that it appears as if the 2020 will be a bit more responsive which should be noticeable...

Even a simple stage 1 OTS tune with no added bolt-ons on a 2020 will exceed the 2021 / Z4 curves...

Last edited:

EastCoastSupra

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Harley Lowrider S, 2016 Ducati Monster 1200R, 2018 Shelby Raptor, 2020 Toyota Supra Launch Edition #1019
Vehicle Showcase
I was under the impression that the 6 port head will give me more flow, enabling larger hp numbers utilizing big turbo.

Still think the 6 port head will flow much better than what we currently have.

There is no point with the 6 port manifold. B58c has a sort of inbuilt (into engine block) manifold to 2 ports, so both ports can connect directly to the twin scroll turbo. It is actually the better more efficient design.

The new motor changes this side of the engine block to the traditional one with one port for each cylinder, necessitating the 6 port exhaust manifold to pipe it to the turbo. The main difference is that the piping will be steel as opposed to the aluminium alloy engine block and can be modified (replaced with aftermarket 6 port exhaust manifold). The advantage is that it will be stronger and can handle higher pressure, but will be heavier.

Wow... My matte grey is quite rare currently... Now it will be really hard to find. Sounds good to me, always preferred having a rare coloured car.

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
I was under the impression that the 6 port head will give me more flow, enabling larger hp numbers utilizing big turbo.

Still think the 6 port head will flow much better than what we currently have.
I think you have to look at the engine block to understand. You can't use the 6 port manifold in the 2020 supra unless you do an engine swap.

Found a picture... See how the turbo is connected directly to the engine block. Notice how unlike normal i6 engines, you don't have a port for each cylinder (this is because they have the inbuilt manifold as mentioned)..

https://www.supramkv.com/attachments/diag_am64-jpg.9570/

But yes, the new engine may allow for additional flow (and at least the option to change exhaust headers with aftermarket ones), but based on the dyno results someone posted, it seems like 2020 Supra spools faster...

EastCoastSupra

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Harley Lowrider S, 2016 Ducati Monster 1200R, 2018 Shelby Raptor, 2020 Toyota Supra Launch Edition #1019
Vehicle Showcase
Yes would have to swap the cylinder head, gasket, ect would use aftermarket piston and connecting rods in the build.

I think you have to look at the engine block to understand. You can't use the 6 port manifold in the 2020 supra unless you do an engine swap.

Found a picture... See how the turbo is connected directly to the engine block. Notice how unlike normal i6 engines, you don't have a port for each cylinder (this is because they have the inbuilt manifold as mentioned)..

https://www.supramkv.com/attachments/diag_am64-jpg.9570/

But yes, the new engine may allow for additional flow (and at least the option to change exhaust headers with aftermarket ones), but based on the dyno results someone posted, it seems like 2020 Supra spools faster...

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
Yes would have to swap the cylinder head, seals, ect would use aftermarket piston and connecting rods in the build.
Maybe it is the English, in Australia, when we refer to engine blocks we mean the huge cast housing that holds the cylinders and everything else is mounted on it. The 2020 Supra's engine block does not support a 6 port exhaust manifold. Perhaps there is a different name for it in the US.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It certainly appears that the manifold is below the head. So if you wanted/needed that, you'd be in for a full swap. Of course, since we've already seen the B58C with nominal bolt-ons and tune doing 500HP+ I'd say that's not really an issue. If you're planning on building a 1K+ monster, you're going to be building from the ground up anyway... so just get the new block as a starting point.

Although if that's really your purpose, what's the point... just switch cars for that build and start of with the new engine, etc. You'll be dumping way more money into add-ons than the difference in depreciation is likely to represent.

JasonAtMagic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GrSupra
Hi all. Name is Jason. I’m a service tech at a toyota dealer and yes I did splurge on a 2020 Supra from my dealer with a small ADM of 1200.... yes I am pissed that the 21” model is already getting changes, especially the engine. Yes this will affect first year model values and then some. 20’s already got the first year model stigma and then big changes to the 21’s will make ours much less desired.
Anyone buying a Supra is 99% a fan and enthusiast that WILL care about this ordeal. I’m royally angry.

JasonAtMagic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GrSupra
Aside from that we still got 2 supras here with 6-9 k Adm sitting with no buyers... I’m betting my dealer gonna rid those Adm pretty dam soon

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Well with the Corvette upping the ante, there's no way Toyota can just sit idle. Supra has to step it up, too.
I don't think the new Supra and the new Corvette is in the same category tho. But that's just me. Its going to take more than 47 hp for the A90 to keep up with the new vette... lol While looking at the new A90, I wasn't even thinking about the new Corvette. A whole different price range.......

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well, there's a lot of unknowns there and cars depreciate no matter what. It'll have to be worth less than $14K in four years to equal (dollar-wise at least) the depreciation of my RC-F over the same period. If you bought a Vantage instead you'd easily be losing the full MSRP of a Supra every year for the first 2... regardless of whether you drove it or not. Everything is relative. ;)

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't think the new Supra and the new Corvette is in the same category tho. But that's just me. Its going to take more than 47 hp for the A90 to keep up with the new vette... lol While looking at the new A90, I wasn't even thinking about the new Corvette. A whole different price range.......
Not to mention they're still trying to get the first pre-orders from last year out the door... I'm thinking it may be April before the C8 production is in full swing... and the ADM on any that don't get picked up by the reservers... are likely to make people faint. Could be wrong though, time will tell.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Not to mention they're still trying to get the first pre-orders from last year out the door... I'm thinking it may be April before the C8 production is in full swing... and the ADM's on any that don't get picked up by the reservers... are likely to make people faint. Could be wrong though, time will tell.
I got a neighbor who was bragging about his new vette being way fast than the supra. lol He put an order in last year.. I ask him everyday, where is your vette? hahahaha

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I got a neighbor who was bragging about his new vette being way fast than the supra. lol He put an order in last year.. I ask him everyday, where is your vette? hahahaha
Uh yeah... it sure as hell had better be faster than the Supra... when he finally takes delivery this summer if he's lucky. ;)

Although with the way traffic has become around here... I'm lucky if I can even do the speed limit most of the time - and getting there .5 secs faster doesn't really mean all that much IMO.
Sponsored