Toyota GR Supra Races Into 2021 with More Power and First-Ever Four-Cylinder Turbo Model

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Something that seems to be overlooked is that according to Tada in earlier interviews the Supra MKV *had* to make it into production and get first model years into dealerships by the time it did for several reasons but among them... tightening emission, noise, crash and other regulations.

He was hinting that some of the things he wanted to get baked into the carā€™s overall design might not have been possible or approved for production had the first year MKV been released even a couple of years later than it was.

Toyota apparently also to some extent has to tow to what BMW will make available to them within their own product parts cycles.

Then thereā€™s his mention of continual updates to the Supra MKV model range as long as it is produced.

But if looming government regulations put passion upgrades to this car under a time crunch, combined with having to tow to BMWā€™s own whims somewhat, it makes more sense why the Supra had to get released by a specific date do or die and also why upgrades to the model might come yearly or almost yearly for a while.

Realistically, if this MKV gets made for as long as the MKIV that would make a ten year production run until 2030. If itā€™s going to be more like the higher volume MKIII that would make it closer to a seven year production run.

Either way thatā€™s a good number of model years within which to constantly improve and diversify... if the trend actually sticks.
Sponsored

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
Sounds like quite a few owners are disappointed by the upgrade... But to put things into perspective, the current B58C is similar to the B58M1 and B58d similar to the B58O1. The latter of which are generally in more expensive BMW cars. Pretty sure there will be a significant price rise will be included which may reduce the depreciation...

OTOH, a 6 port exhaust manifold (as opposed to the internal 2 port one) and lower compression ratio sounds like it will be a stronger engine for mods...

Supra Guy

First Name
Frans
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
Letā€™s be honest here whatā€™s really the difference between 4.1 and 3.9 not much if thereā€™s a price increase for the 21 3.0 then it all evens out in the end.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
On the contrary... 0.2 off of the 0-60 is substantial and will translate to bigger gains down track. Possibly putting a stock car into the 11's in ideal conditions, which is pretty damn impressive. The 6-port head alone will be worth every penny in MSRP, IMO.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Letā€™s be honest here whatā€™s really the difference between 4.1 and 3.9 not much if thereā€™s a price increase for the 21 3.0 then it all evens out in the end.
Feel wise, it'll be about the same between MY20 and MY21. The torque is pretty much the same. Still doesn't change the fact that Toyota pretty much kicked early adopters right in the balls.

When these Supras start hitting the used market in 5-10 years, the MY20 will be worth less.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
The trans is a different item, but i'll PM you when I can give a little more detail on that. I meant more that other car.
sorry my bad - i do remember you saying ther 7 vs 8speed. I know what you mean now - the other car.

I think the 6 vs 2 port head is really only going to make a difference to the guys wanting to push far beyond 850hp anyway

Supra Guy

First Name
Frans
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
Feel wise, it'll be about the same between MY20 and MY21. The torque is pretty much the same. Still doesn't change the fact that Toyota pretty much kicked early adopters right in the balls.

When these Supras start hitting the used market in 5-10 years, the MY20 will be worth less.
I know what you mean by that. On paper 382 vs 335 looks better even the sub 3.9 does too. For people like me who donā€™t track the car itā€™s not that big of a deal imo. For an example I drove both Golf R and GTI and while the R is fast with awd I still choose the GTI as it was a better value to me. Iā€™m ok with a 20 3.0 heck Iā€™m probably ok with a 2.0 too if I donā€™t get a 20 3.0 this year.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
People donā€™t realize. The price of Supra just got jacked sky high. I am willing to bet the new 2.0 will be 45-55k. The new 3.0 will be $58-70k. Who knows. And launch or whatever even more. It makes a lot of sense now to bring the 2.0.
Not sure how you're pulling those numbers. The current 3.0 models can be easily had for 3k+ off MSRP. They're having a hard time selling them. What makes you think they're going to sell more by increasing the cost further? This is a Toyota. Let's get real here.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
I know what you mean by that. On paper 382 vs 335 looks better even the sub 3.9 does too. For people like me who donā€™t track the car itā€™s not that big of a deal imo. For an example I drove both Golf R and GTI and while the R is fast with awd I still choose the GTI as it was a better value to me. Iā€™m ok with a 20 3.0 heck Iā€™m probably ok with a 2.0 too if I donā€™t get a 20 3.0 this year.
I agree. We all want the best value. A MY20 and MY21 will most likely cost about the same, so it sucks for MY20 owners. If MY21 is being sold for 50k, then MY20 should sticker for 46k if we want to talk about value.

SpamSupra

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra (Absolute White)
Wonder if the 21 MY will have the updated iDrive

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Regarding the power bump...

The Toyota bean counters won at the end of the day. Obviously Toyota knew the power bump would piss off a lot of the early adopters, but Toyota also knew the MY20 335HP was overpriced given its price point. Just look at the Supras sitting in showrooms for 3-4k off.

Normally these power bumps would occur 3-5 years after the initial launch, but Toyota predicted that Supra sales would continue to decline if they didn't either a) decrease the price or b) increase the power. The easiest/cost effective way was to increase power. A possible third option if you could go back in time is to start the MY20 Supra at 45k and increase it by $500 each year or something like that.

Toyota's biggest mistake? They should have brought the car with 385HP at the initial launch. Not sure why they didn't? If I had to guess, time constraints and push to get the car out for a MY20 launch. This power bump fiasco is a short term loss for Toyota, but is a long term win for the overall company.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Not sure how you're pulling those numbers. The current 3.0 models can be easily had for 3k+ off MSRP. They're having a hard time selling them. What makes you think they're going to sell more by increasing the cost further? This is a Toyota. Let's get real here.
Just msrp and mark ups man. And Toyota dont see supras as a normal Toyota like corollas.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Just msrp and mark ups man. And Toyota dont see supras as a normal Toyota like corollas.
You need to look harder. These cars can be easily bought for less than MSRP. Dealers are taking advantage of buyers who don't shop around.
Sponsored