Toyota GR Supra Races Into 2021 with More Power and First-Ever Four-Cylinder Turbo Model

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
You need to look harder. These cars can be easily bought for less than MSRP. Dealers are taking advantage of buyers who don't shop around.
Not disagreeing with you. I am saying the msrp with be higher than the 2020 and markups as well. Do you really think they will sell a new updated 2021 Supra with more hp and etc for the same money as the 2020? That’s what the 2.0 will be for. Toyota is a genius.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I can't say I'm surprised at this at all, Toyota has a long (well since the 90s) history of shitty moves... and, IMO at least, also shitty cars. I would expect MSRP to move at least 3-5K upward, which will hurt depreciation somewhat... but since the BMW-ness isn't a secret - it was always going to depreciate more than a normal Toyota. Still love it, bought it to drive it, and I don't plan on selling just because the Iphone (ahem, Supra) 2021 is announced.

Has anyone thought of being mad at bmw?
Not me... I'm just going to give them my money next time... you know, cut out the middle man. ;) (And get much better service experience thrown in for free).

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Has anyone thought of being mad at bmw?
Do you blame the CEO of a company or the analyst that forgot check one line on an excel spreadsheet when the public finds out the company hasn't been accurately reporting their financial statements?

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Not disagreeing with you. I am saying the msrp with be higher than the 2020 and markups as well. Do you really think they will sell a new updated 2021 Supra with more hp and etc for the same money as the 2020? That’s what the 2.0 will be for. Toyota is a genius.
You're starting to get into the Porsche Cayman territory, and I don't think Toyota can win that one.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you blame the CEO of a company or the analyst that forgot check one line on an excel spreadsheet when the public finds out the company hasn't been accurately reporting their financial statements?
Neither. The lawyers will work all that out themselves. If there was a major depreciation hit from this, you can likely expect another class action like there was with my IS350 which dumped value after the car-mat-fiasco. Don't really agree with that, but it's the reality of the world we live in.

You're starting to get into the Porsche Cayman territory, and I don't think Toyota can win that one.
You can order one in that range, but you're never going to see on in stock for anything close to MSRP. If you outfitted a Cayman to the same level of features - the options would run another $20K.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
do you even own an A90?
It appears your on here like trolling or what not? lol I maybe wrong!!

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Neither. The lawyers will work all that out themselves. If there was a major depreciation hit from this, you can likely expect another class action like there was with my IS350 which dumped value after the car-mat-fiasco. Don't really agree with that, but it's the reality of the world we live in.

You can order one in that range, but you're never going to see on in stock for anything close to MSRP. If you outfitted a Cayman to the same level of features - the options would run another $20K.
A lawsuit makes more sense if it's related to the safety of the consumer. This isn't the same and the consumer has very little leverage IMO.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Regarding the power bump...

The Toyota bean counters won at the end of the day. Obviously Toyota knew the power bump would piss off a lot of the early adopters, but Toyota also knew the MY20 335HP was overpriced given its price point. Just look at the Supras sitting in showrooms for 3-4k off.

Normally these power bumps would occur 3-5 years after the initial launch, but Toyota predicted that Supra sales would continue to decline if they didn't either a) decrease the price or b) increase the power. The easiest/cost effective way was to increase power. A possible third option if you could go back in time is to start the MY20 Supra at 45k and increase it by $500 each year or something like that.

Toyota's biggest mistake? They should have brought the car with 385HP at the initial launch. Not sure why they didn't? If I had to guess, time constraints and push to get the car out for a MY20 launch. This power bump fiasco is a short term loss for Toyota, but is a long term win for the overall company.
We have known for a long time this power bump was coming for this model year. This is no different than the 08 wrx and 10 Mustang

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Better to piss off Supra owners than the millions of Camry owners!
One problem with that. It’s impossible to piss off the majority of Camry owners when so many just abandon that model for a sea of crossovers and SUVs which they seem to love no matter how ugly, boring, underwhelming, uninspiring, bland and stupid looking those huge vehicles get.

Unfortunately all performance car enthusiasts are in a minority compared to the people buying whatever flavor of mainstream CUV/SUV is in fashion this week.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You can de-tune the motor to be the same HP as the MY20. There are other ways to approach this without upsetting early Supra adopters.
True, but Toyota couldn't give less of a shit about that I think. They're in the money-making business... and the Supra definitely isn't selling as well as I think they thought it would. Putting it into an even higher bracket power-wise, with a cheaper 4C version to try to pump the units sold statistics looks better to the investors - which is all they've cared about since they became #1 in worldwide sales.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
do you even own an A90?
It appears your on here like trolling or what not? lol I maybe wrong!!
Not sure how that's trolling? Toyota themselves said they used the Cayman as a benchmark.