Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept Officially Revealed!

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
What are your guys thoughts on the gas cap being near the drivers window (or passengers). Do you think it’s possible to have it there?
Sponsored

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
What are your guys thoughts on the gas cap being near the drivers window (or passengers). Do you think it’s possible to have it there?
It’s possible but highly unlikely. The camo prototypes have a circular cut out on the rear fender for what I’d assume is the gas cap

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
I LOVE IT! One of my favorite things about the FT-1 Concept. Too bad it probably won't see production.

awegrzyn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra
This car looks stupid. Not Supra like. This GTE car looks exactly like BMW Z4 GTE. Same proportions with same short wheelbase. The wheelbase is just simply too short. Yes, it will drive better, but it will not look like the Supra no matter what panels they put on it. It feels like a mix of 86, 370, Z4, 911 and some Mercedes GT3 from the proportions view. I assumed Toyota would go their own route without looking what others are doing. I was wrong.

But why GTE car? Why not GT3? This can only mean one thing: They are going to Le Mans with a GTE car as well. Crazy.

Last GTE (GT1 that became GTE) Supra looked like a Supra with longer Japanese look.

Toyota-1996-Supra-n57-Le-Mans.jpg

And here is the picture from before that looks perfect:

Ft1-GRMN-side.jpg

Last edited:

J90_Dreamer

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Nissan Versa
Am I the only one very disappointed by those possible figures?

1993:
Weight =1,490–1,570 kg (3,285–3,461 lb) (turbo)
Power = 320 hp (239 kW; 324 PS) at 5600 rpm and 315 lb⋅ft (427 N⋅m) at 4000 rpm
0–60 mph 4.6 s, 1/4-mile 13.1 s @ 109 mph. Top Speed over 285 km/h (177 mph),
Insane Tuning Ablity and Potential

Weight = 1388 ~ 1496 kg.
Power = 340 hp
0-60 = 4.8 s
Very likely Poor tuning ability and limited potential.

So ....... If the quoted post is accurate, 25 years later, Its only slightly lighter, slightly more power, Yet no faster?
That means the only improvement for any new supra would be a minor performance gain from its 25 year old version, plus Safety and luxury items.... With those figures, its better than an 86, but no where near enough... its certainly no rival to the GTR, more to a 370z or entry level boxter, and should be priced only slightly higher than an 86. I hope and pray the quoted post is a total croc of proverbial HS, because its very disappointing.

I was practically already lining up to get on a waiting list for the first sign of a production model ..... now I'm holding off, waiting to see what Toyota officially says... i hope its a damn site better than this.

Its a supra. It should be a rival to the GTR of its day.
you underestimate the ability of today's tuner shops.

They're going to crack that engine wide open. Mark My words, within the first 3 major tuner shows after it's release were going to see a MKV with 800-1000hp

dsds

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
n/a
Has only a few of us been watching bmw b58 engine milestones? It's an amazing engine tuning wise. The ecu seems to be difficult to hack which has halted progress beyond 600whp but a JB4 tune, extra fuel TBI, larger turbo, and air filter, you're looking at over 500~600whp. This is the tuning numbers coming out from the past year! If Toyota has their own ecu, well, it'll really open doors to those 9 second 1320 numbers.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Very likely Poor tuning ability and limited potential.
B.S.

2jz's did 500-500whp with the stock fuel system
Source: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...-fuel-system&p=7163252&viewfull=1#post7163252

the rumored engine that's going into the A90 is the BMW B58.
The current record for the BMW B58 is 613WHP / 613lb.ft!
Source:

the B58 IS a 3JZ! Actually No, as a matter of fact, its been 26 years, the B58 is better (there, i said it) since it has very similar tuning ability whilst weighing several tons less lol. Furthermore, it doesn't, as Pro FD driver Ryan Tuerk says: "..require a massive rear-mounted radiator to be able drift more than a couple of laps".

Toyota has all the reasons to rename it as 3JZ-GTE (just like the FA20 <-> 4U-GSE thingy), and i certainly hope they do so actually.

Last edited:

dsds

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
n/a
Btw, for any supra fan awaiting a comeback for quite some time and recall this concept, glad to see the designers borrowed this rear quarter design and made it kind of work on the current mkv:
SupraConcept100__.jpg

Toyota-GR-Supra-Racing-Concept-30-6740-default-large.jpg

SupraConcept098__.jpg

SupraConcept096__.jpg

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Btw, for any supra fan awaiting a comeback for quite some time and recall this concept, glad to see the designers borrowed this rear quarter design and made it kind of work on the current mkv:
That isn't a real concept from Toyota, someone got bored and did some crappy photoshop renderings.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Bullshit bullshit bullshit. Hey I want this car to be as good as possible just like everyone else, but stop fooling yourself into thinking this is a pure successor to the mk4 and that its going to be as epic and bullet proof as the last one. This is a BMW, A BMW!! They are not known for being reliable. They are not known for making motor's that are bomb proof and can handle insane amounts of boost. They are not known for putting bullet proof drivetrains in their cars that can reliably support 3 X + the original HP. Will it be a good car in stock form? Probably. Will we be able to tune it and make it better? Of course. But if you are expecting another car that can survive 1000whp on stock internals, a car that can be a reliable daily driver with minimal trips to the dealer for 10+ years, a car that can handle the rigors of racing with mostly stock components, then you haven't had much experience with BMWs. This car does not deserve to have the A90 chassis code, there is exactly ZERO DNA between it and the jza80. And its motor most certainly does not deserve a rename to 3jz. The B55 has an aluminum block with iron infused to the cylinder bores. Its lighter, but its not going to take boost for ever like the iron JZ. The days of crazy over engineered, economical super cars from Toyota is over. What it is, is the best we're going to get in this day and age. Its a very pretty BMW with a Supra make over and nameplate. We can all thank Toyota for designing the prettiest BMW Z4 M Coupe for BMW yet.
Sponsored

Last edited: