Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept Officially Revealed!

dsds

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
n/a
@vb22 Correct, it's a photoshop from like 7 years ago.
Sponsored

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
you underestimate the ability of today's tuner shops.

They're going to crack that engine wide open. Mark My words, within the first 3 major tuner shows after it's release were going to see a MKV with 800-1000hp
Listen to this man....he is 110% on point. Tuners have become very advanced nowadays. When the MKIV was out, less than a handful of tuners knew how to upgrade them. It wasn't until ~10yrs after 1998 that the MKIV Supra really began to shine. Even with the F&F, it still wasn't until late 2000's that the tuners really figured out how to dial the MKIV in. I have no doubt in my mind that the tuners will be able to extract crazy amounts of power from the BMW motor. My ONLY concern, is the quality of the drivetrain. The 2JZ was great because of it's quality....the huge snails people mounted on them were the power makers. Let's hope the BMW derived motor is of good quality like the 2JZ.

...but the looks....man, Toyota nailed it on the looks. Gorgeous car!

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullshit bullshit bullshit. Hey I want this car to be as good as possible just like everyone else, but stop fooling yourself into thinking this is a pure successor to the mk4 and that its going to be as epic and bullet proof as the last one. This is a BMW, A BMW!! They are not known for being reliable. They are not known for making motor's that are bomb proof and can handle insane amounts of boost. They are not known for putting bullet proof drivetrains in their cars that can reliably support 3 X + the original HP. Will it be a good car in stock form? Probably. Will we be able to tune it and make it better? Of course. But if you are expecting another car that can survive 1000whp on stock internals, a car that can be a reliable daily driver with minimal trips to the dealer for 10+ years, a car that can handle the rigors of racing with mostly stock components, then you haven't had much experience with BMWs. This car does not deserve to have the A90 chassis code, there is exactly ZERO DNA between it and the jza80. And its motor most certainly does not deserve a rename to 3jz. The days of crazy over engineered, economical super cars from Toyota is over. What it is, is the best we're going to get in this day and age. Its a very pretty BMW with a Supra make over and nameplate. We can all thank Toyota for designing the prettiest BMW Z4 M Coupe for BMW yet.
I guess the three to four years of real time driving and beating the shit out of it with a B58 engine was just toyota delivering Pizzas rather than R&D on the car, engine and suspension,

One last thing, subaru isn't known for phenomenal reliability, yet after partnering with toyota, the BRZ is the most reliable car in their lineup. Goes to show Toyota does not release a product that isn't finish, to the chagrin of others.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
lol, and the GT86 is known as the most UNRELIABLE car in Toyota's lineup.

Sure, Toyota tested the car and guided its design in some areas, but this is NOT the same relationship as with Subaru. The BRZ/FRS was a car Subaru didn't know how to make. Its the best damn Toyota, Subaru ever made. Toyota made the gearbox, diff, power steering and fuel injection. Subaru would have never made a RWD sports coupe in a million years without their interference. For crying out loud, Subaru had to change the companies official line just to put it on the market ("The beauty of all wheel drive").

Whereas with this deal, BMW was already making a car that was suitable to sub in for the Supra. Do you really think BMW is going to take kindly to Toyota telling them how to make a rwd sports coupe? That hasn't been Toyotas thing for 20 years, BMW never stopped. Toyota is the lesser partner in this relationship, and now that we pretty much know for sure that its got a BMW motor, don't expect mk4 Supra levels of tunablity and durablity in this thing is all I'm saying. I'm just happy that they've said its going to have its own interior.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
I actually find it interesting that on the same day this car launched, Toyota announced they're dropping diesels from Europe, which is currently the only place they are using BMW engines in their cars. I wonder if there is any other plans to use other BMW engines in Toyota vehicles now that the diesels are being dropped?

Jeff

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd hardtop & 93 Miata
I have no doubt in my mind that the tuners will be able to extract crazy amounts of power from the BMW motor. My ONLY concern, is the quality of the drivetrain. The 2JZ was great because of it's quality....the huge snails people mounted on them were the power makers. Let's hope the BMW derived motor is of good quality like the 2JZ.
Exactly. Regardless, money talks whether we’re talking about MKIV upgrades or upgrading a potential BMW engine. The Supra game has never been cheap or “easy” in that regard. There’s many years of research and trial and error from performance shops that have gone into the success & aftermarket development of the 2JZ as well as a lot of open customer’s wallets. I’m sure someone in the early 2000s said the same about modifying a 2J... no one expected it to pull that kind of power out of a stock block.... reliably.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Sure, Toyota tested the car and guided its design in some areas, but this is NOT the same relationship as with Subaru. The BRZ/FRS was a car Subaru didn't know how to make. Its the best damn Toyota, Subaru ever made. Toyota made the gearbox, diff, power steering and fuel injection. Subaru would have never made a RWD sports coupe in a million years without their interference. For crying out loud, Subaru had to change the companies official line just to put it on the market ("The beauty of all wheel drive").

Whereas with this deal, BMW was already making a car that was suitable to sub in for the Supra. Do you really think BMW is going to take kindly to Toyota telling them how to make a rwd sports coupe? That hasn't been Toyotas thing for 20 years, BMW never stopped. Toyota is the lesser partner in this relationship, and now that we pretty much know for sure that its got a BMW motor, don't expect mk4 Supra levels of tunablity and durablity in this thing is all I'm saying. I'm just happy that they've said its going to have its own interior.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/10-most-reliable-cars/

Sources says otherwise.

While the first paragraph can be true, what about the fact the 86is released and we know all of this now?

The Supra is not released and we are all speculating at this point. This Supra wasn't known to be the cult classic like it is now. It's become this way due to the ability to tune this car to magnificent portions. Which as the others have said, only really happened the alst decade as technology started catching up. We also don't know who's doing what.

Furthermore, Toyota has a history of making RWD cars. Even when they stopped, they had Lexus who worked on the LFA, the IS, developing the RC prior to the 86. They made sure before releasing any Supra successor, that it still keeps true to the name. Akio Toyoda and Tetsuya Tada owns a Supra, all modded and tuned to play with and know what is needed to capture that spirit. I'll trust my jdugement with the current engineers who doesn't just look for a quick buck,

Toyota said quite clearly car needs to have a straight 6, fun to drive factor and wonderful handling for a price right for a Toyota.The best part about this thing? They learned from a brand heavily focused on performance and can craft their own V6 engine without spending millions building an engine after this is done. Imagine the 2nd gen 86 or Supra after this?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I dislike German-made anything let alone cars more than anyone on this forum. However, one thing I have come to realize, is that alot of the great things about the MKIV Supra, were in fact...German-made! The V160/161 transmission in the MKIV Supra (you know the transmission that is known for handling insane power from the factory) is a Getrag....German. The 2JZ (the insane powerhouse) was heavily R&D'd and tested by Johann A. Krause Maschinefabrik GmbH....German. So, the two main important factors that made the MKIV Supra so damn good, were actually heavily influenced and derived from GERMANS! Now, that's not to say Toyota didn't have a say in any of the development of the engine and trans. Toyota didn't just slap in a Getrag V160 and call it a day. They tested the living daylights out of the transmission before checking the "ready for production" box. Same for the 2JZ, just because a German firm R&D'd the bottom-end didn't mean Toyota took their word on the overall assessment. Toyota triple-checked everything before going to production. Toyota knows it's existence relies heavily on it's reliability....the MKV Supra is no exception. I have faith in Toyota on this....this car will be great!

You need to read up on Kaizen and it's inception in the automotive industry. You will see why every automaker in the world has a "Toyota team" at their facilities.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Actually, the 2JZ Johann A. Krause Maschinefabrik GmbH story is a myth. folks even contacted them and asked about this to confirm the authenticity and they said they had zero part in the development.

It was all Toyota, which has also been confirmed by members of TRD and Toyotas engineering team from the time. All of which makes sense given Yamaha designed the 1JZ and the 2J is simply a natural progression using many of the same parts.

The trans however was Getrag, and Toyota will likely never use another product from them and vise versa; the two companies ended up clashing hard over warranty issues of the V160 (mostly the fault of Toyota dealers) and things have never been made right.

This was covered in a previous thread on here at some point in the past.

Last edited:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, the 2JZ Johann A. Krause Maschinefabrik GmbH story is a myth. folks even contacted them and asked about this to confirm the authenticity and they said they had zero part in the development.

It was all Toyota, which has also been confirmed by members of TRD and Toyotas engineering team from the time. All of which makes sense given Yamaha designed the 1JZ and the 2J is simply a natural progression using many of the same parts.

The trans however was Getrag, and Toyota will likely never use another product from them and vise versa; the two companies end up clashing hard over warranty issues of the V160 (mostly the fault of Toyota dealers) and things have never been made right.

I always figured there would be an Aisin truck transmission that Toyota would have modified for the application, but alas, it doesn't seem to be the case.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Anyone have any links to high res (1080p) pictures of the gr supra? For desktop wallpapers :)

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

It was all Toyota, which has also been confirmed by members of TRD and Toyotas engineering team from the time.

The trans however was Getrag, and Toyota will likely never use another product from them and vise versa; the two companies end up clashing hard over warranty issues of the V160 (mostly the fault of Toyota dealers) and things have never been made right.

Well, your assuming this based on the car being 100% Toyota....and im basing it on the car being a BMW clone right? BMW doesn't have a bad relationship with Getrag, never has and never will. So if the car will be a BMW mechanical "clone" then I see no reason why a Getrag would not or cannot be used. I know the story about the Getrag grudge with Toyota....but again, that's assuming this car will be 100% pure Toyota. Which as we can tell so far, is not.

Also, I believe the "myth" of German firm testing the 2JZ. Toyota is notorious for outsourcing other engineering firms to fine tune and develop their products. Yamaha is a perfect example, Denso, Hitachi, Nakamichi, etc... Just because people called and asked the receptionist at Johann A. Krause Maschinefabrik GmbH doesn't make it legit.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I always figured there would be an Aisin truck transmission that Toyota would have modified for the application, but alas, it doesn't seem to be the case.
what if the reason it doesn't have a manual is because BMW uses Getrags? LOL
Sponsored