Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept Officially Revealed!

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Well, your assuming this based on the car being 100% Toyota....and im basing it on the car being a BMW clone right? BMW doesn't have a bad relationship with Getrag, never has and never will. So if the car will be a BMW mechanical "clone" then I see no reason why a Getrag would not or cannot be used. I know the story about the Getrag grudge with Toyota....but again, that's assuming this car will be 100% pure Toyota. Which as we can tell so far, is not.

Also, I believe the "myth" of German firm testing the 2JZ. Toyota is notorious for outsourcing other engineering firms to fine tune and develop their products. Yamaha is a perfect example, Denso, Hitachi, Nakamichi, etc... Just because people called and asked the receptionist at Johann A. Krause Maschinefabrik GmbH doesn't make it legit.
You are free to believe what you will, but I'm involved with many of the people that made these things happen and still do, but I digress. Also, yes they do outsource, always have and always will; they just didn't this time because it wasn't necessary.

The Getrag thing is still relevant because Getrag dislikes Toyota, and even if the car is made by BMW that still means the car will be serviced and such by Toyota dealers.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
what if the reason it doesn't have a manual is because BMW uses Getrags? LOL
You could very well be right...that may be "a" reason not necessarily "the" reason. No one knows for sure...but I'm simply trying to state that just because it has German engineering involved doesn't mean Toyota will let it's guard down and let itself fall in a deep deep ditch of failure....especially with a nameplate like the Supra.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Actually, the 2JZ Johann A. Krause Maschinefabrik GmbH story is a myth. folks even contacted them and asked about this to confirm the authenticity and they said they had zero part in the development.

It was all Toyota, which has also been confirmed by members of TRD and Toyotas engineering team from the time. All of which makes sense given Yamaha designed the 1JZ and the 2J is simply a natural progression using many of the same parts.

The trans however was Getrag, and Toyota will likely never use another product from them and vise versa; the two companies ended up clashing hard over warranty issues of the V160 (mostly the fault of Toyota dealers) and things have never been made right.

This was covered in a previous thread on here at some point in the past.
Great! will bookmark this post and use it as a proof from now on:p

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You could very well be right...that may be "a" reason not necessarily "the" reason. No one knows for sure...but I'm simply trying to state that just because it has German engineering involved doesn't mean Toyota will let it's guard down and let itself fall in a deep deep ditch of failure....especially with a nameplate like the Supra.
totally, and I understand and agree with that... I'm not really trying to be pedantic, although it ended up that way regardless I guess.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I heard that mascheninfabrik did some prototyping for the 1JZ, and that was all. Toyota simply tweaked the 1JZ head and added another 500cc to get to 2JZ. Did your conversations dispel this one too?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, if Getrag actually gives Germans the manual and would give toyota hell to pay if they tried to use a manual in a Japanese car as payback for their differences, that would be painful.
Yeah, that would suck. I am sure they will have a super fast shifting DSG or SMG, but it still isn't the same. I also hope Toyota doesn't put an AR5 (R154 Gen.2) in this car. The last thing we need is a weak point in the A90. I love the way the car looks....now just give it a beefy drive-train, Toyota made or BMW made.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My biggest fear is that the new version will just p#ss all over the legend that is the supra as we know it, and be a cash grab for what is today, a washing machine style car manufacturer looking to fill a hole in its econobox heave-bucket-o-crap range. I would much prefer Toyota get it right as per the legend, or don't call it a supra at all. Call it a GT1, call it a 2000GT or 3000GT instead, do a limited run at astro prices and leave the Supra Name alone.
This was what I was hoping for before the unveil. I truly wanted a "non-Supra" halo car. The Supra name has run it's course, let's see a new halo car emerge. But, alot of what you said is true of auto manufacturing nowadays....everything has become finance driven. I don't get it, because the Lexus LFA was a engineering exercise that lost money for the company, they didn't make a dime on any car. The Prius didn't make money until years later, that too being an engineering exercise. I was hoping for a new brand so that it couldn't hide in the shadows of the MKIV....but all this is just nonsense talk from me, I could be totally wrong about the MKV Supra and the production car might surprise the hell out of even the most hardcore auto enthusiast.

I mean, who knows....Toyota might startup the LFA factory and start building the Supra in-house, who knows! This joint venture could just be a engineering excercise to buy time for Toyota to build out a JDM factory. For now, I love how the racecar looks and im staying positive and confident in Toyota.

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd hardtop & 93 Miata
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/toyota-supra-gets-turbocharged-inline-184000418.html?.tsrc=fauxdal

“The 2018 Geneva Motor Show finally brought us the long awaited return of the Toyota Supra, sort of. Initials details are scarce, but a roundtable with Toyota engineer Tetsuya Tada — the man behind both the Supra and the Toyota 86 — revealed a number of new details, both good and bad. The Supra will in fact get a turbocharged inline-six, but those hoping for a manual transmission are out of luck.

We've been wondering for years what's been under the car's hood. The partnership with BMW(the Supra will share more than a passing resemblance to the new BMW Z4) gave us hope that the inline-six would return, and Tada assures us that a Supra without an inline-six is no Supra. He also made it clear that the car should be relatively easy to tune, though how far you can go on a stock bottom-end remains to be seen.

A manual transmission seems to be off the table. Tada said that Supra fans don't think it's a huge requirement, though we have a hard time believing him on that point. As it's likely a BMW engine, look for some variant of the ZF eight-speed automatic or possibly a dual-clutch transmission. There won't be a transaxle either, though Tada says the Supra will have perfect 50:50 weight distribution. It'll also have a lower center-of-gravity than the 86, though how it achieves either of those things with a longer, taller engine and a shorter wheelbase is unclear. Black magic, we say.

Like the 86, Tada wants the Supra to be a sharpened sportscar that is measured on things like fun-to-drive or ease-of-maneuver rather than ultimate performance. We won't be surprised if, like the 86, the Supra puts out a bit less horsepower than some were hoping for. This is a break from Supras of old. The original cars were always GT cars that punched far above their weight. The fourth-gen model was making 320 horsepower in the early 1990s. Tada wouldn't mention specific competitors, but he did say they buy every new Porsche that hits the street.

The partnership with BMW is an interesting one. BMW will launch the Z4 first, unsurprising considering the German brand seems to have led most of the development. Tada said that it took two years for the two automakers to really start clicking. It must be a culture clash between the Germans and Japanese, as apparently the Subaru partnership was a hit right from the start.

We don't know when the final production car will be shown, but look for the GR Supra to hit tracks later this year.”

————————————————-

I don’t know if this has already been posted but I just want to know what Supra owners/enthusiasts they talked to that alluded a manual option was of no importance so I can smack them. :crazy: ....and apparently if you’re looking for the MKIV bloodline, it won’t be found here.

Not sure how accurate this info is but if so, base model + 2J swap it is!

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I heard that mascheninfabrik did some prototyping for the 1JZ, and that was all. Toyota simply tweaked the 1JZ head and added another 500cc to get to 2JZ. Did your conversations dispel this one too?
As far as what was said, it was all in house for the 2JZ. The TRD engineer that I spoke with about much of this said Yamaha actually designed full engines for Toyota versus just cylinder heads like many think. I was also under the impression they only did heads, specifically due to that being true of certain motors like the Lexus F stuff, but the LFA V10, 1JZ, and some others were top to bottom treatment by them, which is awesome.

But yeah, he said they already knew they wanted a 3L variant of the JZ when the 1J debuted, but they didn't want to have Yamaha redesign it again so they bumped displacement and played with the head a bit and called it even. Hence the lack of Yamaha badge anywhere on the motor in contrast to the 1JZ.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
This was what I was hoping for before the unveil. I truly wanted a "non-Supra" halo car. The Supra name has run it's course, let's see a new halo car emerge. But, alot of what you said is true of auto manufacturing nowadays....everything has become finance driven.
isn't the GT Super Sport it?...the problem is to showcase anything ahead the curve, it is insanely expensive..

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 Honda Civic
Tada assures us that a Supra without an inline-six is no Supra.
We know the base model(s) will have a four-cylinder. By this logic, they will not be a Supra. I may be going out on an extremely long limb, but how likely do we think it is that the four-cylinder trim level(s) will be under a different name, possibly with a manual option, since BMW mates a manual to its four-cylinders. Perhaps a name like... Celica?
Sponsored