Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
So the GRMN Mark X has a six speed. You'd nearly bet money on the GRMN A90 having a manual.
I'm pretty sure every GRMN except the Century has a manual. It's an interesting point as many of the models were sold only in Japan, and a few were auto only in that market excluding the GRMN version. :)

Jeff
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
A Lexus GS350 with the same 6-speed manual would be nice : /

Thatā€™s the same car as a Mark X basically, isnā€™t it?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ And in the USA too.

Iā€™m still perplexed as to why the Avalon never got AWD to differentiate it from the Camry. Theyā€™re nearly the same FWD sedans, only one has the same V6 standard.

Meanwhile the Mark X is obviously the superior flagship.

At the 2017 L.A. Auto Show I went to the Toyota booth and saw the newly restyled Camry there. It looked an awful lot like the Mark X (of course I knew it wasnā€™t) and so I thought Iā€™d have some fun.

Acting completely serious and excited I began asking the rep about the new USA spec Mark X rear-drive sedan ā€œon displayā€.

The rep was initially very confused not even knowing what a Mark X was before assuring me it was the new Camry which definitely did not even come in the AWD spec I also asked about.

I knew the answers ahead of time. I just wanted to play the totally serious Mark X fanboy role to see what the reaction would be.

Sadly Toyota just isnā€™t interested in bringing a real flagship sedan here. Not when the Lexus GS350 equivalent is more profitable for them I would guess.

Pity the GS350 version never got the cool supercharger option the 3.5L JDM Mark Xā€™s had for a few model years.

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
^^ And in the USA too.

Iā€™m still perplexed as to why the Avalon never got AWD to differentiate it from the Camry. Theyā€™re nearly the same FWD sedans, only one has the same V6 standard.

Pity the GS350 version never got the cool supercharger option the 3.5L JDM Mark Xā€™s had for a few model years.
The GS has been discontinued in the EU already and will not be redesigned after the current model goes out. Guess what replaces it?

I'll give you a hint, one notch above the Avalon (AWD package will be available apparently). Two birds with one stone and a vehicle that outsells the GS 4-1...

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The GS has been discontinued in the EU already and will not be redesigned after the current model goes out. Guess what replaces it?

I'll give you a hint, one notch above the Avalon (AWD package will be available apparently). Two birds with one stone and a vehicle that outsells the GS 4-1...
I take it you do not mean the current gen Mark X so.... the Toyota Crown platform?

No... they wouldn't do either of those. And I think you're asking me to consider the hierarchy as Toyota models leading into entry Lexus models... so... you must mean the Camry/ES platform ("two birds with one stone")... but now with an AWD option.

If my guess is right then at least it's AWD but coming from the current GS platform... :/

And still I guess this means the pretty-much-a-longer-Camry Toyota Avalon will soldier on as is?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You pretty much got it.
I was afraid of that : / Sad last days for the GS. And I guess the Mark X will suffer the same fate eventually since they share the same platform? That would also be sad for Japanese buyers who love those sedans.

It would all but kill any hopes for an AWD option for the Camry. I don't expect a rear-biased AWD ES-F either, lol.

So that leaves the IS sedan more room to shine, hopefully without growing in size any more. It's big enough as it is.

But maybe if the GS/GS-F are going away this means there might be another IS-F in our future :) One can dream!

Bosstee

First Name
Bastian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Lol what? Care to show any proof of this?
Please note, I'm only refering to standard US vs standard EU trim in terms of price comparison

So for the 350z you can read on Wiki and on forums that the EU standard was the Track trim with Brembo brakes, front air dam, rear spoiler, traction control, VLSD. Acc. to forums the suspension and steering tuning was also different. The US standard was the Base trim.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
And I guess the Mark X will suffer the same fate eventually since they share the same platform? That would also be sad for Japanese buyers who love those sedans.
The Crown, IS and RC also share the same platform, so it seems that they will likely continue the same platform forward (though the Crown and Mark X have yet to be updated to the newer generation used by the 2013+ GS, 2014+ IS and RC). Killing the GS, if it's as low-selling as it would need to be in order to get the axe would likely not have a huge impact on other vehicles using the same platform. Hard to know for sure though I suppose.

Jeff

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
Please note, I'm only refering to standard US vs standard EU trim in terms of price comparison

So for the 350z you can read on Wiki and on forums that the EU standard was the Track trim with Brembo brakes, front air dam, rear spoiler, traction control, VLSD. Acc. to forums the suspension and steering tuning was also different. The US standard was the Base trim.
Having the standard available trim level at a lower point doesn't bother me at all as long as the higher level trim is available in the North American market. The only time I am not on board is when it's just not sold here. The fact that the standard trim in Europe was the Track trim usually just means they aren't selling very many in that market and so they want to streamline production and sales while also offering a good package. Similar to if you want a RWD Lexus IS350 in Canada, you can't get anything below F-Sport trim.

Jeff

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
The Crown, IS and RC also share the same platform, so it seems that they will likely continue the same platform forward (though the Crown and Mark X have yet to be updated to the newer generation used by the 2013+ GS, 2014+ IS and RC). Killing the GS, if it's as low-selling as it would need to be in order to get the axe would likely not have a huge impact on other vehicles using the same platform. Hard to know for sure though I suppose.

Jeff
Well, they will continue to sell the GS for a while longer in other markets. It's just isn't being updated after this model.
Sponsored