Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

formsracing

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
If performance is the goal, i don’t believe it would be manual. Perhaps an “enthusiast” version with a manual, but not the top line trim if it is to compete.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
N54 has 84mm bore and it has the tiniest intake valves, 31.4mm partly because to have room for DI injector partly because the dome shape is weird. B58 has smaller bore size and i fear it has even smaller valves. The integrated manifold is something new to me and i don't know if it should be upgraded or even how to do such.
B58 valve sizes are 30.1mm (intake) and 28.5mm (exhaust).

The major drawback is the trans in my opinion. If it had DCT i would be all over that car because the upgrades already exist and are proven to work to whatever TQ you throw at them. The torque converter though never had a upgrade solution. People have for ages tried to upgrade their ZF 6hp trans and they couldn't. The TCU is too complicated to get the work.
Supra will not use a ZF6HP, it will be a ZF8HP, and as far as torque handling capabilities we just don`t know yet. Several versions of the gearbox are sold, with a wide range of factory torque ratings (8HP30 = 300Nm all the way to 8HP90 = 900Nm). Toyota knows these cars will be modified, hopefully they make the right call.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
FWIW, GRMN has been big on manuals up to this point. Going as far as to offer a manual in an auto-only car (Mark X) behind an auto-only engine (2GR-FSE). All that development for 100 cars.

Then people had the audacity to say Toyota didn't offer a manual behind the 2GR in the IS350 because it would cost too much to develop (lol).

Jeff

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
FWIW, GRMN has been big on manuals up to this point. Going as far as to offer a manual in an auto-only car (Mark X) behind an auto-only engine (2GR-FSE). All that development for 100 cars.

Then people had the audacity to say Toyota didn't offer a manual behind the 2GR in the IS350 because it would cost too much to develop (lol).

Jeff
So you're saying Toyota can do anything??

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase

Jeff
I don't see any contradiction. It can be economically viable to offer something in small batch production that doesn't scale to volume production. So a custom bell-housing that has a 9-hour cut time on the CNC is viable for a production run of 100, but for 10,000-100,000 not so much.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I think he was more getting at the fact that it was technically available, so development cost was moot. That doesn't mean it's economically viable to offer as you said however.

upnsmoke

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota MR2 GT, Nismo 370Z , Subaru Liberty Outback
Maybe
4 cyl = Supra
6 cyl = Supra GR
Hero = Supra GRMN

Somebody has to leak it. Come on, Poland!
Supra has taken the Mustang and European way... having various engine sizes and performance

I personally think they should've went Turbo or NA like the Mark IV method.....

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra has taken the Mustang and European way... having various engine sizes and performance

I agree with you. That’s how I want it to happen as well, like the MKIV; or have one engine but with different levels tuning to differentiate base(low) from upper(mid-high) trims.

Toyota wanted to partner with BMW specifically for its straight-six engines, as the Supra has historically used an I6 and Toyota no longer made one. And, at least according to the Supra’s chief engineer, fans would rather have a non-Toyota straight-six than a Toyota-sourced V6. So that’s why we have a Bavarian powereed Toyota Supra. And it’s an engine the Japanese brand seems to be proud of.

Last edited:

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
B58 valve sizes are 30.1mm (intake) and 28.5mm (exhaust).

Supra will not use a ZF6HP, it will be a ZF8HP, and as far as torque handling capabilities we just don`t know yet. Several versions of the gearbox are sold, with a wide range of factory torque ratings (8HP30 = 300Nm all the way to 8HP90 = 900Nm). Toyota knows these cars will be modified, hopefully they make the right call.
actually, we do know that its the 8HP50 from RealOEM, so the torque capacity is around 500NM, unless there is a special treatment to the Supra unit (it does say 8HP51 tbh)

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

All car companies do this.
There's really no sense in having an NA I6 with today's environmental standards and with how strong turbo 4s can be. Not to mention BMW doesn't have NA I6's anymore.
Sponsored