Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

Amincroes

First Name
Amin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
K12 March, NA ‘91 Miata
So it seems that a lot of people are unhappy with the fact that Toyota decided to put BMW's B58 into the Supra. It seems that Toyota went this route because their market research determined that a straight 6 was absolutely necessary for the Supra. I'm pretty sure Toyota didn't clarify with the group that if they gave them a straight 6 in the Supra, it would be BMW's B58. I think if they shared this would their research group up front, we might have a different outcome.

So this leads me to my point in that what may come before doesn't always have to be what comes next. Many things on these cars as seen from a purist's point of view have changed over the years and although purists have moaned and groaned, they've all come to "accept" it because they have no choice. Examples, include the Ford F-150 now using turbo v-6 in their trucks. People lost their minds when Ford announced this and now the Raptor uses a turbo 6. People are cool with it now because it makes crazy hp and crazy torque. Ferrari doesn't even offer a manual transmission anymore and hasn't for some years now. BMW for the longest time resisted using turbos in their M cars but saw that they were losing the hp war to Benz and so went turbo. Now the M5 uses AWD and an automatic only. The blasphemy. The new G20 3 series doesn't even offer a manual option anymore in the states.

I think it's time to change our perception of what makes a Supra a Supra. We now have to accept this new Supra with a BMW drivetrain and a BMW infotainment system. Frankly, the infotainment system is better than what Toyota offers in their vehicle so I say that's a win for Toyota. As for the B58, I'll wait for time to tell if it's a better move once I can get behind the wheel for a test drive and see how the reliability is holding up after some years.

I would like to move onto the supposed GRMN that is supposed to be released in a few years though since they're still doing their R&D on this car. I would still like to see them use the Lexus LS500 V35A-FTS or some variant for this GRMN Supra version as this car would be Toyota sourced and it would provide the hp and torque that could legitamitely give the Porsche Cayman S, GTS, and maybe GT4 a run for it's money. If 335hp from the B58 can move the Supra from 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, I think the V35A with 416hp and 442 lb-ft of torque can do it in at least 3.5 secs if not faster. Sure it might not be an inline 6 but at least it's a Toyota (Lexus) engine.

The cost wouldn't be too much since the engine is already there and this way, they can spread the cost over another car too. It wouldn't be like they're like building a bespoke engine for the GRMN version that isn't a high volume selling car with the V35A. It would just be tuning it and getting it to work in the Supra application.

I'm happy that Toyota brought the Supra name back. Personally, I wouldn't have done it with the B58 but it's done. Let's see how this shakes out when people get their hands on a production version and how it holds up over time and hopefully, Toyota is listening for the GRMN version. Please don't give people more stuff than they need to complain about already. Please do it right.
I agree
Sponsored

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
If the GRMN can beat 718 GT4 (even slightly) in terms of lap times and fun... If I'm not mistaken that car will have steering and some suspenison straight from 911GT3. So if Toyota can just come with a car that beats it for less money (and Cayman is regarded as one of the best sports car ANY money can buy) that's a HUGE BIG WOW, I'd even call it a suprise of a decade. BTW, I love Cayman GT4, my 2nd fav car after Ferrari 458 ;)
And ppl are crying that it's too much BMW and how Nissan 370Z (lol over 9000) is a competition for a Supra. Does car scene went so silly or is it made mostly from 14year old keyboard warriors that experienced sports car looking at it on motor show? Dunno how ppl are so clueless these days...

I'm waiting for Supra GRMN vs 718 GT4 vs rumored track oriented 300hp hardcore Alpine A110 fight. It will be like 488Pista vs GT2RS in a smaller scale for me ^^

Last edited:

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
If the GRMN can beat 718 GT4 (even slightly) in terms of lap times and fun... If I'm not mistaken that car will have steering and some suspenison straight from 911GT3. So if Toyota can just come with a car that beats it for less money (and Cayman is regarded as one of the best sports car ANY money can buy) that's a HUGE BIG WOW, I'd even call it a suprise of a decade. BTW, I love Cayman GT4, my 2nd fav car after Ferrari 458 ;)
And ppl are crying that it's too much BMW and how Nissan 370Z (lol over 9000) is a competition for a Supra. Does car scene went so silly or is it made mostly from 14year old keyboard warriors that experienced sports car looking at it on motor show? Dunno how ppl are so clueless these days...

I'm waiting for Supra GRMN vs 718 GT4 vs rumored track oriented 300hp hardcore Alpine A110 fight. It will be like 488Pista vs GT2RS in a smaller scale for me ^^
How much lighter can the A110 get?!

Chuck Mason

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 4Runner TRD Off Road
Is that really a Supra? That looks more like the FT-1 since the dimensions look much bigger and the length looks nice and long and not short and stubby like the production Supra.

CaymanGTS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche
Be patient.

Toyoda Gazoo Racing will use the BMW M2 Competition S58 Engine. You want Manual, you want Power, you will get it.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Last time I checked the M2 Competition used the S55.
Tbh I prefer B58 since I heared there are a lot of problems with this S generaation because its still based on N55. On the other hand new S58 will be something! That in GRMN would have been cool :p

On topic, giving manual now would probably mean half people cancel their auto orders just to get manual :D
Btw instead of more power I'd rather see less weight but... Also 99% there wont be any power bumps just yet, why would they, not even a month after offical launch? We will see in few days... :)
Sponsored

Last edited: