Toyota Presents World Debut of the New 2022 GR 86

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
@Guff, don't you live pretty close to Ann Arbor? Perhaps you can drive around get us some better pics. ;) :D

gemmoglock

First Name
gogoggoo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
pedal power
Last edited by a moderator:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
^^ Have to agree now. Turbo would be great but if the Supra MKV is getting a manual 2.0L option (and hopefully a regular LSD with it) then a slightly improved NA GR86 will be likely.

In the video article above this makes sense for cost and MSRP reasons too: the existing FRS/GT86/BRZ platform is being reworked so as to save on cost... and the existing 6-speed manual transmission which can only handle around 250ft-lbs with OEM reliability is probably being re-used. This means that adding a turbo would require body reinforcement, a redesigned 6-speed manual, new brakes, possibly new diff axles (although the Supra MKIII diff this car has is already suited for turbo) all to be well within Toyotaā€™s and Subaruā€™s OEM reliability and long term wear targets at a price point that remains affordable and well below the Supra MKV 2.0L manual and also well below the Corolla GR with its AWD turbo 1.6L manual driveline.

A perfect 250hp turbo manual 86 would be ideal and great but I see what theyā€™re doing now.... so long as the Supra MKV base models are getting a 6-speed M/T soon.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you zoom into the big front grille, you don't see an intercooler. Its all empty. Pretty sure its going to be the NA engine.
Being a Subaru boxer engine if it *were* to be turbocharged wouldnā€™t the intercooler be on top of the engine and wouldnā€™t the hood have an air ducting scoop?

Subaru has not historically used front mount or side mount intercoolers in their turbocharged cars anyway.

But as to this car being NA... it almost certainly will be, I agree.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Does that mean the 86 will use the FB engine instead of the FA24 like we originally thought?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Does that mean the 86 will use the FB engine instead of the FA24 like we originally thought?
I actually just read of the FB25 on the FT86club forum in reference to the 2nd gen.

Someone there quoted it makes 205hp and 186 lb-ft of torque.

Thatā€™s a bit less than the projected 217hp of the naturally aspirated FA24. Someone else there also mentioned that the FBā€™s rods are thinner than the ones in the FA24 NA.

Aside, I donā€™t know how well thatā€™s going to work in Japan or other world markets that tax quite a bit higher on engines larger than 2.0L.

But if the engine does turn out to be the FB25 with the same horsepower rating as before but in a body that weighs even 50lbs more (or higher) than the 1st gen car that will be disappointing.

At minimum the car should not go backwards on specs including power to weight ratio from the first generation even if there is more torque and an improved torque curve.

Hope the GR86 gets an improvement on the old specs though.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase

I actually just read of the FB25 on the FT86club forum in reference to the 2nd gen.

Someone there quoted it makes 205hp and 186 lb-ft of torque.

Thatā€™s a bit less than the projected 217hp of the naturally aspirated FA24. Someone else there also mentioned that the FBā€™s rods are thinner than the ones in the FA24 NA.

Aside, I donā€™t know how well thatā€™s going to work in Japan or other world markets that tax quite a bit higher on engines larger than 2.0L.

But if the engine does turn out to be the FB25 with the same horsepower rating as before but in a body that weighs even 50lbs more (or higher) than the 1st gen car that will be disappointing.

At minimum the car should not go backwards on specs including power to weight ratio from the first generation even if there is more torque and an improved torque curve.

Hope the GR86 gets an improvement on the old specs though.
The FB is considered the more "efficiency focused" of the new engine platform. Generally longer stroked and has a narrower valve angle than the FAs IIRC.

The GR86 will almost certainly get an FA vs an FB, (an FA24F prob). I would guess a 92x90 vs the FA24DITs 94x86. Presumably, still with some type of D4-S. A 91x91 engine would be very interesting though, keeping it square and just adding displacement, but I'm wondering if they will try to up the excitement with an oversquare engine and a half-decent head that can do 7500-8000rpm.

I still have hopes! But just not high ones lol.

Btw, if you look closely, you can see the Subaru Eyesight Cameras in the windshield. Which I suppose was a given since it's becoming standardized. But I think it's hilarious that for 2022, Toyota will have 3 different radar/camera technologies across their lineup :p