Toyota Reveals SEMA Build GR Supra Sport Top

Should Toyota build a Sport Top Supra?

• Total voters

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
It looks pretty good as a Targa. Lack of detail in the attachment system in these videos probably means their system isn't workable for scale production (including no details on Targa top stowage, or lack thereof).

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the red mirror covers. Just looks out of place to me. I still prefer the excellent OEM carbon fiber covers. The partial red-leather interior does look fantastic with the white paint, however. That's a great combo, and has me thinking about a partial swap on my white 3.0 Premium.
Sponsored

FlexFiveOh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5
Vehicle Showcase
I think we see:
MY21, mo powah
MY22, less roof
MY23, more manual
MY24, S58 variant?? lol

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
It looks pretty good as a Targa. Lack of detail in the attachment system in these videos probably means their system isn't workable for scale production (including no details on Targa top stowage, or lack thereof).

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the red mirror covers. Just looks out of place to me. I still prefer the excellent OEM carbon fiber covers. The partial red-leather interior does look fantastic with the white paint, however. That's a great combo, and has me thinking about a partial swap on my white 3.0 Premium.
Same here, I always thought those looked tacky AF...

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
They could've left the mk4 wing off imo. Other than that it looks good.

Making a targa involves a lot more than just chopping the roof. It's structurally integral to the car. So it would need a lot of extra bracing underneath to compensate, adding weight and losing performance.

And I'm sure BMW said no to a targa Supra because that would directly impede Z4 sales. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
They could've left the mk4 wing off imo. Other than that it looks good.

Making a targa involves a lot more than just chopping the roof. It's structurally integral to the car. So it would need a lot of extra bracing underneath to compensate, adding weight and losing performance.

And I'm sure BMW said no to a targa Supra because that would directly impede Z4 sales. So I wouldn't hold my breath.
Since it's built on a Z4 chassis you would think it's good to go. :dunno:

It has been mention in one of the older threads, but BMW and Toyota said each company was free to do as they please. The reason why BMW didn't push through with a Z4 coupe is sales would most likely be super low. I'm looking at you E86. :p

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
It has been mention in one of the older threads, but BMW and Toyota said each company was free to do as they please. The reason why BMW didn't push through with a Z4 coupe is sales would most likely be super low. I'm looking at you E86. :p
What they say privately behind closed doors and release publicly to the media are two different things.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Since it's built on a Z4 chassis you would think it's good to go. :dunno:

The Z4 is 60 lbs heavier than the Supra, and it has a soft top instead of a solid roof. So I'm sure the Z4 has a fair bit of bracing under the car to increase rigidity.
The Z4 is also not performance oriented. That car is squarely aimed at mid-life crisis men that don't want a Boxster lol.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
What they say privately behind closed doors and release publicly to the media are two different things.
Just going by the Q&A with officials from both Toyota and BMW. :dunno:

The Z4 is 60 lbs heavier than the Supra, and it has a soft top instead of a solid roof. So I'm sure the Z4 has a fair bit of bracing under the car to increase rigidity.

The Z4 is also not performance oriented. That car is squarely aimed at mid-life crisis men that don't want a Boxster lol.
Right, we all get that, but the parts and R&D are already there.

Of course, but there is a segment of older guys that this might be appealing too. With that said, I agree with you. I wouldn't hold my breath either. I mean if they can't even give the 2.0 a manual (which already exist on the lower spec EU Z4), what are the chances of getting a hacked off roof in a years time?

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
I would love to see it happen. Wonder how long until someone starts a petition to Toyota. ?

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Its cool to look at and all, but its just for show. Don't want to be a downer, but not even the shooting brake and convertible 86 concept made production.