Toyota Supra and BMW Z4 Sales Figures

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
I get that. <5k seems low, though, even for a low volume vehicle.
Toyota's sales targets were 5k annually. For 2022 to be largely an uneventful year for the GR Supra (with the changes only being the A91-CF edition as well as improving the infotainment system) and for Toyota to still nail their sales targets (well, they were short of it by a whopping 48 cars) then you can call this year a success.

The only cars that are selling more than the GR Supra are the 911, Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Miata. All of these cars being very much in the mainstream and have been produced for decades at this point.

I just wanted to say that this codeveloped project being the success that it is, will be the reason why you'll have Toyota going all in on enthusiast/sports cars again. You, the customer, made the business case for them to do so, and proved the bean counters wrong.

People to this day still do not understand why Toyota codeveloped the GR Supra with BMW's Z4. Other than the obvious technical and business reasons, Toyota went this route to internally prove to bean counters that should this partnership be successful, it would be proof that there exists a customer base that wants an enthusiast Toyota/Lexus product, and thus viable for them to sink more money into enthusiast products again. They will amortize development costs by getting even more involved in motorsports and sharing more of that motorsport technology in their other vehicles as well. Using sales figures from codeveloped products like the GR86 and GR Supra, there is historical evidence that there exists of such demand for a Toyota/Lexus enthusiast product which helps their sales projections, and also gives Toyota more security to pursue these projects.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
Toyota's sales targets were 5k annually. For 2022 to be largely an uneventful year for the GR Supra (with the changes only being the A91-CF edition as well as improving the infotainment system) and for Toyota to still nail their sales targets (well, they were short of it by a whopping 48 cars) then you can call this year a success.

The only cars that are selling more than the GR Supra are the 911, Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Miata. All of these cars being very much in the mainstream and have been produced for decades at this point.

I just wanted to say that this codeveloped project being the success that it is, will be the reason why you'll have Toyota going all in on enthusiast/sports cars again. You, the customer, made the business case for them to do so, and proved the bean counters wrong.

People to this day still do not understand why Toyota codeveloped the GR Supra with BMW's Z4. Other than the obvious technical and business reasons, Toyota went this route to internally prove to bean counters that should this partnership be successful, it would be proof that there exists a customer base that wants an enthusiast Toyota/Lexus product, and thus viable for them to sink more money into enthusiast products again. They will amortize development costs by getting even more involved in motorsports and sharing more of that motorsport technology in their other vehicles as well. Using sales figures from codeveloped products like the GR86 and GR Supra, there is historical evidence that there exists of such demand for a Toyota/Lexus enthusiast product which helps their sales projections, and also gives Toyota more security to pursue these projects.
I see. I was under the impression that their target was 6k units every year, my mistake.

Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m very glad the Supra exists and Iā€™ll take Bmw as a co-developer any day of the week. I get that financially, this was the only way a Supra would ever work for Toyota in this new age. I guess I think the car deserves better than 5k units/ year. Itā€™s not the greatest car ever, but it is subjectively and objectively better than 90% of the sports/performance coupes that outsell it. Maybe itā€™s a production issue, but this thing should fly off the shelf similarly to how the 86 does, relatively speaking.

It sucks that as good of a car as the Supra is, it would seem that the writing is starting to appear on the wall for the A90. But maybe Iā€™m wrong and they sell 8k units this yearšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
we'll probably end up with around +/-35k units once production wraps up. that may not seem like a whole lot but it's about 3x the amount of A80s sold in the 90s.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
I see. I was under the impression that their target was 6k units every year, my mistake.

Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m very glad the Supra exists and Iā€™ll take Bmw as a co-developer any day of the week. I get that financially, this was the only way a Supra would ever work for Toyota in this new age. I guess I think the car deserves better than 5k units/ year. Itā€™s not the greatest car ever, but it is subjectively and objectively better than 90% of the sports/performance coupes that outsell it. Maybe itā€™s a production issue, but this thing should fly off the shelf similarly to how the 86 does, relatively speaking.

It sucks that as good of a car as the Supra is, it would seem that the writing is starting to appear on the wall for the A90. But maybe Iā€™m wrong and they sell 8k units this yearšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
The way Toyota has operated with their sports cars (with the exception of the Celica and the 86's) was that they were relatively bespoke and also were produced in relatively lower numbers anyways. Also, no matter how much we love the GR Supra, it will not generate as much demand as the perennial sports cars Miata, Corvette, Mustang, or even the 911. In time? Perhaps. But once the Camaro and Challenger are dead, the GR Supra will take 5th place, which is pretty damn good if you ask me.

Last edited:

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium

Well said. Now Toyota, please give me a hybrid Supra with 800hp that goes 0-60 in 2sec. I want them to do the same thing with an electric-ish vehicle. I've had the opportunity to drive a good number of BMW electric vehicles, and I can say that of any manufacturer, they seem to be doing it right. If there is to be a next generation Supra, I hope this partnership is leveraged once again. I know I'm probably in the minority here - just my opinion.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I actually crossed shopped the Supra and Z4. I personally love the look of the Z4. I know Iā€™d loose some rigidity but having a convertible MX5 is a blast. Then I ā€œbuiltā€ one on the website and saw the end price (with same features) and weight = šŸ˜­ = Supra the clear winner

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Had lost my IHS access. It's back:
SourceCY 2019CY 2020CY 2021CY 2022CY 2023CY 2024CY 2025CY 2026
IHSTOTAL
12,334​
9,638​
10,552​
6,493​
5,029​
4,954​
4,839​
1,204​
GCBCUS
2,884​
5,887​
6,830​
4,952​
624​
GCBCCA
252​
394​
410​
215​
0​
MathsOthers
9,198​
3,357​
3,312​
1,326​
4,405​

SOPEOP
2019-04​
2026-03​

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I have a Z4 loaner/rental as I wait for the M2 to be built/delivered. Im impressed overall. Its just the 4cyl model but is more than adequate for fun. Has amazing grip and its spring in Germany so the top down motoring is really fun!
Black Z4 2022.jpg

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
I think itā€™s possible that the current interest rates are having an impact on sells. Maybe dealer markups to an extent. Not sure why anyone is concerned about the numbers when itā€™s damn near impossible to find a dealer w/in 200 miles and pick one off the lot. As far as bespoke, we have become so blinded by instant gratification, ordering a car doesnā€™t even occur to most folks unless itā€™s being ship to them w/in a week. Personally, Iā€™d prefer fewer numbers as I cant stand seeing the same car I drive on the road a dozen times while traveling from A to B (mustang, challenger, charger, Camaro, clapped out civic and WRX, etc..). I like the Z4, it turns my head the very few times I see one. Iā€™m sure I was driving a Z4 I would say the same about the Supra.

xkyo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra MT prem/2020 AG Taco Pro/Model Y perform
anyway to get numbers on manuals? and are these numbers including the 2.0?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
anyway to get numbers on manuals? and are these numbers including the 2.0?
All Supras. I don't have the breakdown. Toyota doesn't disclose it in the quarterly sales report neither does any other OEM..

Judging by the numbers they don't expect a crazy uptick in sales by the "announcement" expected next year? Sustains 5k through though.

xkyo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra MT prem/2020 AG Taco Pro/Model Y perform
All Supras. I don't have the breakdown. Toyota doesn't disclose it in the quarterly sales report neither does any other OEM..

Judging by the numbers they don't expect a crazy uptick in sales by the "announcement" expected next year? Sustains 5k through though.
Thatā€™s good itā€™s all grouped up, for value wise, this decreases the overall 3.0 in the market