Toyota Supra Spied with Production Bumper, Side Vents and Wheels!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsds

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
n/a
Not sure what everyone's taste is in vehicles here, but its an ugly car. They compressed a design that kind or worked on a large, long, wide platform and put it on a narrow short chasis. The front bowed fenders integrating into the bulbous hood simply doesn't work well. This is truly upsetting on what could have been. Ill hold off buying until I can find a decent salvage title. Tisk tisk Toyota.
Sponsored

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
@A70TTR, how do you feel about the cars proportions, since you've been up close and personal with it. Does it seem oddly small, or does appear to flow just right? Is there anything you wish Toyota could have done better regarding exterior design/dimensions?

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
you might be waiting a really long time lol
I know we have been over this, but I just find it hard to believe that Toyota went to all the trouble to reskin every body panel on their car but to than just stick on mirrors from the outgoing F30 3-series.

Now if they were going to to use parts from the part-bin then I think the ones on the out going Z4 are more stylish and size appropriate.

2016-bmw-z4-sdrive35is-convertible-angular-front.png

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Not sure what everyone's taste is in vehicles here, but its an ugly car. They compressed a design that kind or worked on a large, long, wide platform and put it on a narrow short chasis. The front bowed fenders integrating into the bulbous hood simply doesn't work well. This is truly upsetting on what could have been. Ill hold off buying until I can find a decent salvage title. Tisk tisk Toyota.
admittedly this is what I felt at first when the mules started coming out but considering Toyota is trying very hard to keep as many design cues things from the FT1, I'm giving this a real chance to see it in person before I make an opinion...

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
I can agree some design elements and car dimensions should have not been compromised from the FT1, but that may have put us in an entirely different car price. Also you have to remember its still in camo.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I know we have been over this, but I just find it hard to believe that Toyota went to all the trouble to reskin every body panel on their car but to than just stick on mirrors from the outgoing F30 3-series.

Now if they were going to to use parts from the part-bin then I think the ones on the out going Z4 are more stylish and size appropriate.

2016-bmw-z4-sdrive35is-convertible-angular-front.png
the i8 is the only bimmer with body mounted mirrors, toyota couldn't get their parts bin :confused:

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
the i8 is the only bimmer with body mounted mirrors, toyota couldn't get their parts bin :confused:
I'm more concerned about the actual styling vs where it is mounted. I'm just wishing the real units are more sleek and compliment the beautiful body work.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Also you have to remember its still in camo.
This is key point! The car is still in camo! Let’s just give Toyota a chance here...March 6th won’t even give us a full production car (or at least that’s what Toyota hinted at). For all we know, this car could be a show stopper when all said and done. Until then, let’s hold off on the “uncertain certainty” and give Toyota a shot at this....they, afterall, have the most pressure on this.

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
I dunno about you guys, but I know what mirrors I'm replacing them with...Now, just to schedule my flight to Italy to visit the parts center and I'm all set.

10462801_1567197680174105_6875396685252969417_n.jpg

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I can agree some design elements and car dimensions should have not been compromised from the FT1, but that may have put us in an entirely different car price. Also you have to remember its still in camo.
haha, funny someone should mention that because the FT-1 as it sat was already a lot more money that many likely assume, in materials alone. a production version with full running gear and electronics would easily be pushing GTR prices and possibly even NSX. that's double what the project was/is going for lol.

that said, I wanted the MKV to be right in that range, right up there fighting its old expensive rivals... but, that's what GRMN is for :D

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
haha, funny something should someone mention that because the FT-1 as it sat was already a lot more money that many likely assume, in materials alone. a production version with full running gear and electronics would easily be pushing GTR prices and possibly even NSX. that's double what the project was/is going for lol.
Thank you for posting this. Some people just don't understand that certain things = $$$$. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I can't afford a $100k+ Supra. I'll gladly take a scaled back version for half of the cost.

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
haha, funny something should someone mention that because the FT-1 as it sat was already a lot more money that many likely assume, in materials alone. a production version with full running gear and electronics would easily be pushing GTR prices and possibly even NSX. that's double what the project was/is going for lol.

that said, I wanted the MKV to be right in that range, right up there fighting its old expensive rivals... but, that's what the GRMN car is for. So i think it's a very good compromise :D
There he goes again, dropping fire! @A70TTR I think that is great, in terms of performance. But what about design, its not like GRMN version is going to make the dimensions more to the liking of the FT1, right? Either way in its current state battling the big boys with more added performance is something I can't complain about either. Overall just wish it was slightly longer, closer to the FT1 dimensions.

Lastly, regarding GRMN is Toyota planning to market GRMN in the USA? or do you think their sticking with TRD?

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@A70TTR, how do you feel about the cars proportions, since you've been up close and personal with it. Does it seem oddly small, or does appear to flow just right? Is there anything you wish Toyota could have done better regarding exterior design/dimensions?
my regrets if any, and lets just base them off the latest spyshots/renders to spare me me headaches, is that the car doesn't have the necessary length to pull off what I think would fix a few body line issues. for lack of a better term, the car is kinda constrained and it kinda bothers me despite knowing the ethos is lightweight performance.

as some have said, they tried to adapt the FT-1, which is a pretty large car built on a stretched and widened 86 platform into a BMW Z4. I still think the car is great though, and they obviously look WAY better without massive wheel gap and tiny wheels.

and the rear is still where I feel the car looks its best.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A U.S. based executive told me last year that, "if I have any say in it, GRMN will never be on the car."

He was referring to TRD being available and apparently there was some cartoon character in the Flintstones named the Great Gazoo that caused an aversion as well.

As far as the dimensions, yeah that ship has pretty much sailed so...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.