Toyota Supra to be launched in 2019 under Gazoo performance brand GR / GRMN related topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
An ecoboost mustang manual in europe is generally sold around 40k give or take , also the camaros are about 4k-5k higher if i remember correctly for the automatic 2.0T . I wish toyota doesn't price it higher than the mustang , I mean the 86 has scared many people with its price in most countries of the eu , so that's why i wish for a low price at least for the base model .
I'm sure that had more to do with the costs associated with shipping GT86s from Japan to Europe..it wasn't worth their time to ship the stripper base models so the EU markets only got the higher spec models, double whammy. With the bmw supra's production potentially being in europe this probably means pricing will be reversed, the cheaper base & stripper models available in EU and only the higher trims will be available elsewhere with Japan getting the biggest price hike..
Sponsored

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
I know sadly , this is a big problem with cars imported from america or japan . The import taxation is very high for many countries in eu. But my argument is that the low spec model's price should be close monitored in the eu this time because in essence toyota hasn't found yet its footing here because of the 86 being eclipsed by many cars that are in my opinion not so sporty but with tons more torque . For example supra/spx will compete with mustangs (320hp - 40k) and i believe some will even compare it to ford focus rs(4wd - 350hp - 30k). About the assembly done in europe , i personally hope it will keep the prices low haha.

Rotaryrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda RX 8
Vehicle Showcase
The price will depend on what's in the car.
Is it just a 4cyl, a 6 twin turbo or is it a hybride?

My guess, around 35k € (42k $) for the Base model and 50k € ( 60K$) for the high end model with full options.

Maybe a 6 cyl hybride could be even higher priced.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
yeah, the 4cyl car is not coming to North America. I've been hearing for too long that it's only going to the 6cyl and I believe its for the exact reasons Guff gave, plus the fact that Americans always have to have the best, biggest, most powerful. some companies offer the lesser models, like say the Ecoboost Mustang, but you cant really compare that car to the 4cyl Supra IMO.
Not saying it will happen in this case, but sometimes lower-level models come to Canada but not the States - for example, for many years we got a 320i, a model that only came to the States very recently.

I'm not convinced Toyota can afford to only sell the car in the upper-tier (Cayman/Vette) price range; economies of scale would argue for a lower-spec model here as well to better leverage R&D costs. Sure, there's less profit per unit on the cheaper car, but potentially multiple times the sales numbers. And there should be market space for it to do reasonably well - its only real competitor in the same niche right now is that dated holdover, the 370Z. Pony cars are a different class, over a foot longer and several hundreds of pounds heavier, the amount of cross-shopping would probably be limited.

A high-end Supra is going to have to be amazingly good to eat significantly into its established competitors' sales (or create its own market). Time will tell...

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
no, thats a good point. I often fall victim to the including everyone in North America together mentality, but you're right.

from what Tada was saying one day, I think this car was designed from the get go to be kind of a loner in that it wont directly compete against anything according to him, but of course to the media and public it will be compared to anything and everything similar in price vs performance.

in a way, it's always been kind of a strange car for the market IMO. A high-end, toyota badged sports car just isnt something many ever expected then or now.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
Well the thing is, everyone first sets a maximum value he can give for the car then finds what is suitable within this budget then comes the comparison because everyone wants to make the best deal for themselves with what they have . I mean i get it, the satisfaction of making something unique is truly amazing but the car industry and maybe every industry is made better by competition , so comparing hp , fun and price with other cars is not a bad thing , hell i argue it does it good so it gets better and better.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I don't think a 4 cylinder Supra is a good ideal for North America. The Corvette is king here, and IMO that is what Toyota should competing with. I also think Toyota should mainly focus on the US market. Canada only makes a fraction of sales.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
For me, it's about the sound - no 4 banger I have heard sounds that great, even with aftermarket stuff tacked on (although an STI with its UEL headers isn't too bad). You can make a 4 sound OK in the cabin by adding Forza-type synthetic engine notes through the speakers, but nooooo thanks.

There is a vid around of a French hot hatch you could get a few years ago that allowed you to select what your car sounded like in the cabin - options went from a 60s inline four to a modern V10.

Zaki

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Zaki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 Acura NSX, 2010 Nissan GTR; 2013 Lexus LS FSport; 2017 Prius Prime
Seeing that it will not be until 2019 {a 2020 model year} that one can purchase a Gazoo Supra, I went ahead and placed the order through my local Mercedes dealer for the 2018 E63s AMG. The thing is a beast and will make for a great daily. I am told to expect it by Feb of 2018.

If the Gazoo Supra shows up and has the power/handling that it deserves, and given that Toyota is taking its time developing, it my hopes are high, then I will consider to add it to the stable. However, where the competition will be by 2020 is anyone's guess.

Toyota should however get an F for keeping their famished Supra fans starving for another two years.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
While i agree most cars with 6 cyl have better sound generally, some 4 cylinder cars like silvia s15 have epic sounds from their turbo 4 cyl. Also mazda rx7 with no cylinders and with only 1.3l engine roars incredibly.

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
Hello all,

As a previous JDM Silvia S15 and BCNR33 GT-R owner and JZA80 lover, i agree that there were 4-cylinder engines that sounded and performed great with much tuning potential like the legendary SR20DET in its last 250hp version, the Mitsubishi EVO's 4G63 and more.
But here. the matter is not the sound or any of these. The upcoming Supra, especially after so many years of absence, has to keep some key elements, one of which is a 6-cylinder twin-turbo. Even in the era of downsizing and low emissions, Toyota/Lexus arsenal has a lot of engines to work on.

A possible Celica or MR-2 resurrection could use the latest LEXUS 8AR-FTS 2.0 turbo 4-cylinder found in the NX SUV and RC coupe 200t models with 235hp. With Gazoo tuning it can easily go to 250-280hp for a medium sports car. A possible MR2 could use it in a mid-engine / RWD layout like the SW20 generation while the Celica longitudinally in a GT4 version with 4WD.

The next GT86 should throw the Subaru flat-4 NA engine, for a slightly smaller but more powerful 4-cylinder. The latest 1.8 supercharged 210hp presented on the limited edition GRMN Yaris could be the basis for this, tuned to 225hp.

And finally the Supra can get the newly developed LEXUS V6 twin-turbo 3.5l featured on the latest flagship LS, making 416hp at its current state. With minor tweaks it can easily go up to 450+hp. The Supra must come in two versions, a normal and a GR version, both with the same base engine with 50+ hp difference and more sport orientation for the GR model (NISSAN/nismo GT-R philosophy).

This complete sportscar range doesn't leave gaps neither in price or power and gives Toyota its sportscar lineup it deserves.

-Mike Papas-

Last edited:

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
Hello all,

As a previous JDM Silvia S15 and BCNR33 GT-R owner and JZA80 lover, i agree that there were 4-cylinder engines that sounded and performed great with much tuning potential like the legendary SR20DET in its last 250hp version, the Mitsubishi EVO's 4G63 and more.
But here. the matter is not the sound or any of these. The upcoming Supra, especially after so many years of absence, has to keep some key elements, one of which is a 6-cylinder twin-turbo. Even in the era of downsizing and low emissions, Toyota/Lexus arsenal has a lot of engines to work on.

A possible Celica or MR-2 resurrection could use the latest LEXUS 8AR-FTS 2.0 turbo 4-cylinder found in the NX SUV and RC coupe 200t models with 235hp. With Gazoo tuning it can easily go to 250-280hp for a medium sports car. A possible MR2 could use it in a mid-engine / RWD layout like the SW20 generation while the Celica longitudinally in a GT4 version with 4WD.

The next GT86 should throw the Subaru flat-4 NA engine, for a slightly smaller but more powerful 4-cylinder. The latest 1.8 supercharged 210hp presented on the limited edition GRMN Yaris could be the basis for this, tuned to 225hp.

And finally the Supra can get the newly developed LEXUS V6 twin-turbo 3.5l featured on the latest flagship LS, making 416hp at its current state. With minor tweaks it can easily go up to 450+hp. The Supra must come in two versions, a normal and a GR version, both with the same base engine with 50+ hp difference and more sport orientation for the GR model (NISSAN/nismo GT-R philosophy).

This complete sportscar range doesn't leave gaps neither in price or power and gives Toyota its sportscar lineup it deserves.

-Mike Papas-
IMO, Toyota would make a different engine for the spx/supra before they put the lexus TTV6 in the supra. even though it would be a fantastic engine in a light weight car, that engine is strictly for Lexus use for now.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.